Engine fan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

squareton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k2500 suburban
Engine Size
Hi I'm trying to get my new to me 82 k2500 suburban up to my standards and have looked everywhere but can't find the answer.
I can't find the proper clutch fan , I bought a new clutch at napa but no one seems to carry the fan or even list it even lmc truck. Does anyone have a part number that'll work? I have a 350, thanks!

burkeftm

Reaction score
First Name
bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
The eighth digit on your Vin number should either be an L or an M in 1982 for an L motor with air-conditioning It should be 14006712 it’s a seven blade fan .In 1982 if you have an M motor the blade number is 14009080. That is a five blade fan 19 1/2 inch diameter. This is right from my GM parts manual hope this helps you

squareton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k2500 suburban
Engine Size
Thank you so much! I've got the M with a/c so now I just need to find one lol

squareton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k2500 suburban
Engine Size
Of course the only one is on ebay, will a 7 blade fan work from summit?

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Are you trying to find the fan or the clutch? OEM Fans are hard to find except used, like E-bay or wrecking yard. Proper fan clutch is for OEM fan with A/C is AC Delco pt#88961767

Will the 7 blade fan from Summit work? Possibly. Depends on the blade pitch and diameter, but if it's the same or very close to OE it should work.

Hopefully this helps.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I have the OEM fan and clutch off my 1980 M code 350 with AC. It is a 5 blade. I removed it to go to a larger aluminum radiator and dual electric fans, so it is just sitting in my shop.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Last edited:

squareton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k2500 suburban
Engine Size

squareton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k2500 suburban
Engine Size
I have the OEM fan and clutch off my 1980 M code 350 with AC. It is a 5 blade. I removed it to go to a larger aluminum radiator and dual electric fans, so it is just sitting in my shop.
Thank you very much for the offer, I'm really wanting a 7 blade. I appreciate it!

squareton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k2500 suburban
Engine Size
Thanks, the problem with summit Is they don't list the bolt spacing. I think it's 3.25 I'll check on the Delco number you listed. I do need the fan as I got the napa clutch but that can go back lol
Are you trying to find the fan or the clutch? OEM Fans are hard to find except used, like E-bay or wrecking yard. Proper fan clutch is for OEM fan with A/C is AC Delco pt#88961767

Will the 7 blade fan from Summit work? Possibly. Depends on the blade pitch and diameter, but if it's the same or very close to OE it should work.

Hopefully this helps.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
@squareton FYI Napa fan clutches, and most other aftermarket fan clutches are rebranded Hayden fan clutches, a once great American manufacture that shifted their production to Mexico about 10 years ago and just in the last few years shifted it again this time to Korea. Since that shift at the shop we have had so many bad Hayden experiences that we won't use them anymore. We go with OEM if at all possible, or order out and wait for GMB.

squareton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k2500 suburban
Engine Size

squareton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k2500 suburban
Engine Size
@squareton FYI Napa fan clutches, and most other aftermarket fan clutches are rebranded Hayden fan clutches, a once great American manufacture that shifted their production to Mexico about 10 years ago and just in the last few years shifted it again this time to Korea. Since that shift at the shop we have had so many bad Hayden experiences that we won't use them anymore. We go with OEM if at all possible, or order out and wait for GMB.
Thank you! Hopefully I can find the proper clutch I ordered the 18 inch from Summit I'm sure it'll be ok until I find a better option. I got 10.54 might with the first tank, found out the timing was set on 40 initial I set it to 11. What's funny is it started right up and ran fine lol

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Thank you! Hopefully I can find the proper clutch I ordered the 18 inch from Summit I'm sure it'll be ok until I find a better option. I got 10.54 might with the first tank, found out the timing was set on 40 initial I set it to 11. What's funny is it started right up and ran fine lol
Something is wrong with your timing numbers. While it might be possible for an engine to start and run at 40, there is no way it could have working mechanical or vac advance without severe ping / detonation. And certainly it would struggle to start up at best. That a stock build 350 is not meant to have 40 total timing. Setting that aside if it's gutless now check the vac and mechanical advance for operation.

10.54MPG is about right depending on your driving style, rear end gearing and tranny, what do you have for a tranny just curious?

squareton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k2500 suburban
Engine Size
Something is wrong with your timing numbers. While it might be possible for an engine to start and run at 40, there is no way it could have working mechanical or vac advance without severe ping / detonation. And certainly it would struggle to start up at best. That a stock build 350 is not meant to have 40 total timing. Setting that aside if it's gutless now check the vac and mechanical advance for operation.

10.54MPG is about right depending on your driving style, rear end gearing and tranny, what do you have for a tranny just curious?
I have the 700r4 and it shifts pretty sloppy and basically slides into gear lol. I used my dial back timing light and it was set at 40 initial, I revved it up from there and it went up but I wasnt too worried about how high the timing went because it didnt seem to ping and I knew i was going to fix it. All checks were done with the vacuum advance unhooked and plugged the hose from the carb. It did have a little valve or fitting on the line just before the dist but Idk what it is for yet. Anyway I moved the timing to 11 initial and revved it up to about 3k and the timing went up to about 40 so it seems good now. I only had to adjust the idle speed after that, it seems fairly responsive for a smog motor now and runs ok. I just picked up some true duals from lmc truck today for a change from the y pipe and single 2 inch, hopefully that will help out the power a little bit too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3dbello