Engine Carbon Cleaning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mango

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
What do you use to clean the top end of a engine "carbon Build up"

I used Sea Foam when i first accuired the Burban Lot of white smoke not sure if it did anything?

20,000 miles ago

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I always used water,unless I was at work,at work we used jb top engine cleaner,I think the steam from the water does just fine. I also believe a lot products are only made because people will buy them. Surely something I buy is better than something I already have.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Yes water seems to work great. Ever take a head off an engine that has been consuming water? Offending chamber will be very clean.

Doing that operation is only very occasionally needed or desired. If the engine has excessive carbon build up usually something else needs to be fixed.

I have only seen carbon build up cause an issue on a couple new [still under warranty] late 80's 454. Guides were passing so much oil carbon pieces dropped on the piston and broke em. Top end cleaner would have done nothing except drain your wallet.

sidschev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
sidney
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
run it leaner

matt4426

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K35
Engine Size
Do an Italian tuneup.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Yes water seems to work great. Ever take a head off an engine that has been consuming water? Offending chamber will be very clean.

Doing that operation is only very occasionally needed or desired. If the engine has excessive carbon build up usually something else needs to be fixed.

I have only seen carbon build up cause an issue on a couple new [still under warranty] late 80's 454. Guides were passing so much oil carbon pieces dropped on the piston and broke em. Top end cleaner would have done nothing except drain your wallet.
This funny,not ha ha ,just weird, in that I never sold a decarb,I never suggested a decarb. These were sold by service writers,I just did as I was told. Can't say with any conviction that they ever did anything besides throw a check engine light.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Get the engine hot. Remove the air cleaner. Race the engine while SLOWLY dripping ice cold water down the carb. The idea isn’t to stall or drown the engine, but it will run lousy with the water.

When the cold water hits the hot carbon deposits, they will flake off and be blown out the tailpipe. You might even see a pile of carbon under the tailpipe when you are done.

Once it’s back together, take it out for a “Italian tune up”.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
ACDelco X66-A follow the instructions on the can. Then run it until it quits smoking and do the water treatment like @Matt69olds describes. That's my method and it's pretty darn good.

1lejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
1985 , 2004
Truck Model
k-1500, 2500 HD
Engine Size
350, 6.7
Better run a catch can with that LS or it will build up crud. They send a bunch of oil to the top end when run hard that the engine will pull back in the intake.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
squareframe