Dual front shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
Damnit John your eating to much popcorn.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Damnit John your eating to much popcorn.

Yah I'm not trying to be an annoyance. Just trying to get caught up and subscribed. My online ability has been cut about 80 percent. :(

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
They are different lengths, so that could be the only reason for the different #.

i believe the after market ones are just different lengths like you said.

heck here we go disagreeing on suspension stuff again... can we agree that they dont NEED the extra shocks then? haha :shrug:

id be interested to see the difference that people could tell in a more forgiving spring setup that your rc springs though, cuz the ride probably already sucked anyway

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
i believe the after market ones are just different lengths like you said.

heck here we go disagreeing on suspension stuff again... can we agree that they dont NEED the extra shocks then? haha :shrug:

id be interested to see the difference that people could tell in a more forgiving spring setup that your rc springs though, cuz the ride probably already sucked anyway

Nono, I agree with you! They don't really do anything, I just had the shocks already and I think it looks cool :crazy:

The truck doesn't have RC springs though, it has a set of nice riding BDS springs. Ride quality is about like it was when it was stock.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
Nono, I agree with you! They don't really do anything, I just had the shocks already and I think it looks cool :crazy:

The truck doesn't have RC springs though, it has a set of nice riding BDS springs. Ride quality is about like it was when it was stock.

haha i was saying it'd make the ride worse though, i would think itd affect the ride, but im probably wrong.

interesting though, haha i almost did the dual shock thing too but didnt feel like shelling out the money. next time i get shocks i may just put one in the second location and not the first so i could get a little better travel....

chubble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe K10
Engine Size
I have a dual shock setup on the front as well. I can verify...very stiff ride. I was told by my father in law who I got my truck from that the suspension was upgraded to a 3/4 ton setup which would explain why it sits high and doesn't have a lift on it.

Quick question, Don't want to hijack the thread If I switched to a set of longer shocks (just one on the front instead of 2), would it give me a little extra lift without replacing the leaf springs?

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I just finished installing a dual shock setup on a pickup with the 3/4 ton springs and a lift.
The shocks had to be special ordered.
The inside shock does`nt have a bracket at the end,the bolt juz hangs out there in midair on the ned.I am going to fabricate a bracket out if 1/4 inch flat x 3 inch and bend/build a bracket for the end of the bolt so it does`nt bend the bolt.what a pain in the arz.thas all for now.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Quick question, Don't want to hijack the thread If I switched to a set of longer shocks (just one on the front instead of 2), would it give me a little extra lift without replacing the leaf springs?

No, longer shocks will not give it more lift. Springs control the height, shocks control the movement of the springs.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
No, longer shocks will not give it more lift. Springs control the height, shocks control the movement of the springs.

Installing longer shocks could cause the shocks to bottom out in a bump,making for an even rougher ride.

chubble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe K10
Engine Size
Thanks for the info, that's about what I figured.

chubble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe K10
Engine Size
SO...if you were going to remove one of the dual shocks to make the ride a little less rigid, which one do you remove? THe straight up and down one or the one at an angle?

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
SO...if you were going to remove one of the dual shocks to make the ride a little less rigid, which one do you remove? THe straight up and down one or the one at an angle?
I guess that would depend on the valving of the shock.
I would keep on the straightest to a vertical as I could to get the maximum for control,at least I would try that first and,if I were satisfied I would leave it alone.If I were not satisfied,I would then try the one mouinted on an angle and remove the inner shock.

chubble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe K10
Engine Size
Good thinking.

1polishtank

Reaction score
First Name
jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
i just added 250lbs to the front of mine.....12k warn winch with 12 '' channel bumper now it rides way better but the rear feels like ww3 going off......so new shocks in the rear and see how she feels

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bowers31