Door and dash aluminum trim and emblems resto questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Just like most of the truck, it’s in “good” shape, imo. Too good of shape to spend big bucks replacing on a driver, but not nice enough for me to leave as is.
How well do these aluminum panels turn out by refinishing with steel wool or wet sanding?
On the emblems, only thing I can think to do is re-paint the black accents by hand. Other suggestions? This applies to fender and tailgate emblems as well.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Pic
Discoloration around the logo

You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
That discolored area is probably what it's actually supposed to look like. I think that's about the shape of one of the GMC badges.

I think there's some kind of thin clear coating on it and that's what fades, scratches and kinds gets yellow here and there.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I know, it totally looks like ghosting from a different emblem. Anything is possible but the interior is otherwise original.

You’re right, bet it usta say Sierra Classic right there.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
For the chrome around the gauges and that Silverado emblem you can use a Molotow Chrome Pen.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
For the chrome around the gauges and that Silverado emblem you can use a Molotow Chrome Pen.

I recently found one of those (2mm I think) at Hobby Lobby. Can't wait to try it out.

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
That discolored area is probably what it's actually supposed to look like. I think that's about the shape of one of the GMC badges.

I think there's some kind of thin clear coating on it and that's what fades, scratches and kinds gets yellow here and there.

That coating on the bright panels reminds me of the coating that is on new aluminum flashing to stop oxidation.

If buffing the panel is in your future I'd think about putting a light coat of some satin clear over it to lock in the finish.

RedBeard_83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom deluxe
Engine Size
Sbc 350

I did the same but I used the refill bottle and an airbrush that came with a small compressor I have , I have the pens and did that first but didn't like that I could see the marker strokes , airbrushing came out much smoother. But I also have to add that my bezel had no chrome on it whatsoever , so the pen may have worked if I was just touching it up .

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That coating on the bright panels reminds me of the coating that is on new aluminum flashing to stop oxidation.

If buffing the panel is in your future I'd think about putting a light coat of some satin clear over it to lock in the finish.
Once I pull the interior apart I’m going to try to refinish it. Tailgate inset and fender badges too.
Steel wool to re brush the aluminum is what I read.

RedBeard_83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom deluxe
Engine Size
Sbc 350
Nice work red beard
Why thank you sir ! I learned alot from this forum and just trying to pass it on , I appreciate everyone on here and what they have shown me and helped me with , I know my square isn't the typical style of those on here but I have got nothing but respect for you guys and the way of the square lol

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
There is a learning curve to using that Molotow chroming pen. You can’t just use it like a crayon on the edges. You have to start in one place and slowly, consistently work around the entire edge w/o stopping as much as possible. If the chrome doesnt lay out perfect, let it dry for about an hour then do it again. The paint needs to flow pretty good too. An airbrush would be ideal too-most people don’t have a small touch up brush and compressor tho.

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
I know, it totally looks like ghosting from a different emblem. Anything is possible but the interior is otherwise original.

You’re right, bet it usta say Sierra Classic right there.
Yes, that’s the shape of the Sierra Classic emblem,
I’ve had good results removing discoloration and oxidation with #0000 steel wool and WD40.
Finish with a satin clear coat.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yes, that’s the shape of the Sierra Classic emblem,
I’ve had good results removing discoloration and oxidation with #0000 steel wool and WD40.
Finish with a satin clear coat.

WD-40 works wonders on milky tailgate panels too. Although it needs reapplied fairly often.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickybobby69