Don't know why my brakes don't work.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
wow wat a little wax can do.
That shined up nicely. That's like my dad's '79. It was chocolate brown and one day I got a wild hair to TR3 the sucker. After 4 hours of sweat and elbow grease, that puppy shined like new. People kept asking me if I got it painted. NOPE! Just a little TR3! It's making want to shine up my '81 now! Thanks for the inspiration!

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
And there is only 1 acceptable way to wear out the girlfriends legs, and that isn't it buddy !!! :hump:
Well said. And that truck needs to be broke in properly!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Well said. And that truck needs to be broke in properly!

:bowroflwerd6: And tailgates work perfect for that too. Might I suggest taking a pillow along for the ride too.

Kapdin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K30, Scottsdale K20, Silverado C10, Silverado V10, Silverado V20
Engine Size
400ci, 350ci, 350ci, TBI 350ci, TBI 350ci
LOL, i don't think that bench seat is 6'4" long sorry guys, but the bed yes is plenty long but that tail gate has had a crop sprayer on it for the last 20 years and kinda looks like swiss cheese at the moments.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Damn, and I thought I was a city boy. Well, I am but I damn sure figured out a way to get down to business while out and about. :rofl:

Get a MC yet?

Kapdin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yes sir, got and installed new MC and rear drums. I bench bled it as good as i could for never doing it before. and then pumped and cracked and pumped and cracked over and over and over and NOTHING, still brake light. So knowing i still had the e-brake i hit all the grease zirts and buttoned her up and took her for a short spin. I get some brake action put pretty pitifull. you suppose that propotion valve is just shot? it has like a rubber bulb on the end of that, can that be bled or no?

On a second note after she got all warmed up it created a gnarly backfire....i did replace plugs and wires but didn't have any dialectric grease? any guess wat i should look for first?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So you bled all 4 wheels? But you do have some brakes now? If have some now and didn't before, my guess is now just need a good bleeding at all 4 wheels. Are you aware when bleeding brakes, that you start at the furthest wheel from the master, then work you way to it? So R R goes first, then L R, then R F and end up with L F. If you don't, you can just be pushing air back and forth in the lines.

The backfire can be serveral things, but I'd have to go back and read the thread, or maybe you need to start another thread in Engine Performance. Does it normally idle OK? Has it sat for a long time? What carb is on it? Qjets leak well plugs and that might have caused it. Could be dirty idle circuit in the carb.

Kapdin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
No i did not know that bud and now u say that it makes sence i just went back and forth on the front. So educate me here, on atvs and bike when i bleed them they are all under alot of pressure be it air or fluid but when u crack it every time it spits, and my square just dripples fluid every time. But tomorow ill just go to town on the furthest and work my way close and see. Does it matter if the engine is running or not? ive tried both and even tho the pedal feels diff no change on the bleeding.

As far as the back fire ill prolli start a new write up tomorow on that alone.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
No i did not know that bud and now u say that it makes sence i just went back and forth on the front. So educate me here, on atvs and bike when i bleed them they are all under alot of pressure be it air or fluid but when u crack it every time it spits, and my square just dripples fluid every time. But tomorow ill just go to town on the furthest and work my way close and see. Does it matter if the engine is running or not? ive tried both and even tho the pedal feels diff no change on the bleeding.

As far as the back fire ill prolli start a new write up tomorow on that alone.

It's easier with the motor running, this way you know whoever is pumping them for you, is getting good full pumps. And have you made sure that the person pumping is holding them down as far as they can and keeping the pedal down until you have closed off the bleeder before they start pumping again. IF they don't, they are just inhaling more air everytime. Hard to say about the dribbles. Sounds like you have mega air in these lines.

Kapdin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Ok so ive tried everything i can do and i cannot get the rear drums to bleed. I borrowed one of thos suction brake vac's and i started on the furthest and worked forword. Once i got to the front diskes it worked great got all the air out of them and was sucking fluid to beat He!! but nothing out of the rear. I got fed up and sat the vac on it and walked away for like 30-40 mins and came back to the same thing all air no fluid!!!!!!!!!!! I pulled the bleeder out of it and sucked that vac right to the piston just to get a good suction. This was brought to my attention late last night that this truck has a old school camper/trailer brake on it.......suppose this is screwwy? Can i just get rid of it? or just unplug it?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Ok so ive tried everything i can do and i cannot get the rear drums to bleed. I borrowed one of thos suction brake vac's and i started on the furthest and worked forword. Once i got to the front diskes it worked great got all the air out of them and was sucking fluid to beat He!! but nothing out of the rear. I got fed up and sat the vac on it and walked away for like 30-40 mins and came back to the same thing all air no fluid!!!!!!!!!!! I pulled the bleeder out of it and sucked that vac right to the piston just to get a good suction. This was brought to my attention late last night that this truck has a old school camper/trailer brake on it.......suppose this is screwwy? Can i just get rid of it? or just unplug it?

Is it plumbed into the system with a brake line? Yeah, if you don;t need it, take that **** off.

Did you look at this?

http://www.classicperform.com/TechBook/BrakeTroubleshoot.htm#testprop

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
If it is a hydraulic brake controller I would eliminate it. Definitely could be a problem causer.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
And the only other thing I think you can consider back there is a collapsed rubber hose that connect the main brake line feed to the branch where it goes to the rear wheels. Probably about $10.

Kapdin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Well i can't exactaly say wat i did but my brakes work now thank god. I started all over i re bench bled my MC snugged up the lines, then totaly replaced the rear lines so there is very little i didn't replace on my whole brake system but now they bled out no problem and they are holding strong and no leaks. I had to teach my self how to make brake lines.

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
Well i can't exactaly say wat i did but my brakes work now thank god. I started all over i re bench bled my MC snugged up the lines, then totaly replaced the rear lines so there is very little i didn't replace on my whole brake system but now they bled out no problem and they are holding strong and no leaks. I had to teach my self how to make brake lines.

It's a farm truck why do you need brakes? just find the nearest tree :ehcapt:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jturner