Does your ignition key...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Can your key come out when the truck is running? Just noticed I can remove the key and leave the motor on. Not sure if they're all like that or if my cylinder lock is worn.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Cylinder is worn. I've owned a few vehicles that are like that and I suggest you replace it before you can't even start the truck lol.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Wasn't aware they could lock up completely. Where did you source your replacement cylinders from?

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Wasn't aware they could lock up completely. Where did you source your replacement cylinders from?

You could do locksmith if you want to keep originality otherwise parts stores have replacements with keys.

GTME94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 C6P Camper Special
Engine Size
454/TH400/14bff 3.73
Growing up, my dad had an old square as a company work truck. I worked there a couple of summers. One time I had to make a run to the county dump which was a couple miles out of town. Jumped into the truck, started it up and drove out to the dump. Turned off the truck, unloaded. Got back in and it wouldn't start, realized the key was not in it. It was worn enough to sometimes work without a key, sometimes required the key.

I don't remember now how I got back or if they came out to get me after they realized the key was still back in the shop. This was many, many years before cell phones were common.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
My dads 77 is worn to the point you can start it without a key. Actually the other day my brother took the 454SS to the store without a key and it ended up stuck there until I got home.

Look on rock auto, I found a brand new ac delco key and tumbler assembly with brand new GM marked keys. Mine was easy to change, all you need is a steering wheel puller and the special tool to compress the spring loaded plate ******** for the horn.

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Vortec 383, modified TBI/4L80e
In high school I drove a '64 F-100. Rigs from that era had ignition locks that were designed to be able to take the key out after starting, although this one was worn pretty bad so the keys would fall out at the drop of a hat. I'd be flying around a corner (292 V-8 and hurst shifter, but straight front axle and crappy drum brakes all around) and the keys would fly out of the ignition lock. There were a few times it took awhile to find them and I'd have to shut the damn thing off with a screwdriver!

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Look on rock auto, I found a brand new ac delco key and tumbler assembly with brand new GM marked keys. Mine was easy to change, all you need is a steering wheel puller and the special tool to compress the spring loaded plate ******** for the horn.

Good to know, I was hoping it isn't too much trouble. I remember going way past the cylinder lock when I did the floppy column fix but it's been a while since I've had that apart.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I've had several GM cars from the 70's and 80's that you could pull the key from after they were running. Usually anything from those vintages with over 100k on the odo all it would take is a good hard pull and you'd have that option. Always thought it was kinda handy myself.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
the 2001 f*rd(bad word) ranch truck we have does the same thing. and yes I kinda like it to. you can leave it running and lock it up. highdesertranger

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes