Difference in K10 and K20 Front Springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
After reading your initial post I questioned if you wanted pics of the front or rear springs. I am right in that you wanted pics of the front? Because that is what I took pics of.

Couple of the spring packs. Three full length leaves...

You must be registered for see images attach

Either side of the front hangers...

And the shackles. 4" center to center length of bolts...

Hope these help. If you want more pics of anything specific let me know.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
:popcorn:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Oh man. Perfect Pics. Exactly what I needed to compare my K10/1500 springs. Thanks a ton.... uhh I mean, Thanks a 3/4 ton !!! One thing right off I see different is mine both have 2 springs yours has 3. But I do also see they are negative arched. Next, I'll measure my shackles and see if they are the same. That way I know if the shackles are lifting yours up at all.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
My shackles are also 4in center bolt to center bolt. So other than the thickness of the 3rd spring, is it safe to say that K10 and K20 are likley the same ride height?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Back to the rear spring hangers now. I just checked both my 85 K1500 and my 85 K10. Both have these sets of holes. Here is a pic of the rear hanger.

Both sets of holes, the set that is currently empty, and the set that has the current bracket mounting rivets are 6 inches a part on center to center.

Now the difference between the empty holes and the used holes are 4 inches apart center to center.

That seems to reason to me, that if I used the set of holes that are 4 inches further back from the current holes, would mean I change from the 52in springs to the 56in springs by moving the same OEM bracket back to the other set of holes.

attachment.php

Attachments

• SpringHangerRear1.jpg
    SpringHangerRear1.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 632

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I am going to venture a guess and say that yes, other than the thickness of the extra leaf, they are going to be very similar in ride height. And even if they aren't I really can't see them being more than 2" different. And that number is probably really reaching. Like C4 said, you can always throw in a zero rate to level it out. Just put in the C20 springs and see what happens. Take a lot of measurements before and after and report back to us.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I am going to venture a guess and say that yes, other than the thickness of the extra leaf, they are going to be very similar in ride height. And even if they aren't I really can't see them being more than 2" different. And that number is probably really reaching. Like C4 said, you can always throw in a zero rate to level it out. Just put in the C20 springs and see what happens. Take a lot of measurements before and after and report back to us.

That is pretty much the conclusion I've came to. The only difference is probably the thickness of that 3rd leaf, and maybe a bit more for a lttle less negative arch. I'll still be awhile since my C20 trucks other than the driver, is out at my dads property. I don't get there very often cuz of gas prices these days.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
After reading your initial post I questioned if you wanted pics of the front or rear springs. I am right in that you wanted pics of the front? Because that is what I took pics of.

Couple of the spring packs. Three full length leaves...

Either side of the front hangers...

And the shackles. 4" center to center length of bolts...

Hope these help. If you want more pics of anything specific let me know.

I believe those look identical to the springs in my '77 K5, I'll take a look tomorrow.

My shackles are also 4in center bolt to center bolt. So other than the thickness of the 3rd spring, is it safe to say that K10 and K20 are likley the same ride height?

Year for year, I'd say yes. But the 80's springs tend to be shaped different.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I believe those look identical to the springs in my '77 K5, I'll take a look tomorrow.

Year for year, I'd say yes. But the 80's springs tend to be shaped different.

Your K5 has 3 springs up front? Both my K10 and K1500 both have 2 leafs but are shaped the same in the negative arch, look to be mounted the same exact way and same size shackle. If there isn't a noticeable difference in height, then I'll just put my 56in 3/4 ton springs on the rear. I guess lift blocks in the back are not near as bad as I thought. So when it comes time to do the 4in lift, I'll just use blocks in the back with the 3/4 ton 56in springs, and of course the front springs will be replaced. I might even just put the 52in rear springs on the front for the 4in lift. That shouldn't be to firm of a ride being the springs in both front and rear will be over the OEM length. :shrug: You know plans are subject to change. I just want to make sure I'm not selling or scrapping any parts I will use.

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
Hey hotrod my 86 3/4 heavy duty has 56 inch rear and only 2 leave front springs. If the longer springs give a softerr ride then i NEVER want 52 on mine lol

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Hey hotrod my 86 3/4 heavy duty has 56 inch rear and only 2 leave front springs. If the longer springs give a softerr ride then i NEVER want 52 on mine lol

Thanks for the info smurph. So even some K20's only have 2 springs in the front. I'd like to know what makes the difference if a K20 gets 2 or 3 springs.

Now of course the 52 in and 56 in being discussed is the rear springs. I do beleive all fronts are the same length in all K10, K20 and K30. I agree with you on the 56in springs. My 84C20 has 56in and it actually rides pretty damn smooth. Now of course its still a truck and it has a little stiff bounce to it when empty, but it actually smoother than a buddies 1/2 ton I've rode in. There is a section of concrete road here in town, and his truck will beat you to death. My 3/4 ton is not near as bad as his half ton. I've done deicded I'm putting 3/4 ton 56in springs on the rear of both of my 1/2 ton 4x4's even though one of them will keep the 1/2 ton axles. It just seems to be to simple of an upgrade and I already have the springs so why not?

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Not sure if this information helps you but. on my 96 1/2 ton it has 3 leaf springs from the factory, put any weight on it and it saggs drastically. So I just took the spring packs apart and added 2 leafs from another GMT 400 3/4 ton truck. It fixed my issue and raised the rear of the truck 4 inches.

IMO I would alot rather add leafs then I would have to mess with the thru bolts in the spring eye bushings, those SOB's can be a real motha ******.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I paid hell getting the front spring eyebolts out for the rear springs, and didn't even try the back ones, just cut the shackle brackets off. The bolt is a massive, hardened bolt so expect to use a torch.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I expect it to be some work, but I'll :grd: . I like the thicker springs on the 3/4 ton better than the thin springs. If I do it that way, then I know exactly what I'm getting and to expect too where as if I added springs to the current pack I wouldn't know. But, I'll keep it mind and look it over real good before I pull the trigger. It'll be awhile, the springs are on the burnt truck out at my dads.

I do have a set of 56in 1/2 ton GMC springs here too off the 80 GMC I scrapped. I might use those on the truck I plan to keep 1/2 ton with the 3.73 gears. Oh, and C4 will bring me his 1/2 ton axles with LSD and 3.73 ready to bolt in. I still want those C4. When you coming this way??? If you do that, I won't Ban you for a week for posting Ass Burger !!!

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Sit on the porch and wait for me, I'm almost there lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
br562g