Dash gauges

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

critter2655

Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
I have a 86 c10 the truck originally had dash indicator lights aka idiot lights. I no longer have that instrument cluster. My problem is that I'm trying to use a instrument cluster that has gauges but I'm not having any luck getting it to work. I had to repin a few terminals, and I currently have the turn signals, dash lights and high beam indicator working. However I don't have the gas gauge oil and temp gauges working. The voltmeter moves but I'm not sure if it's accurate. Has anyone changed this over before and if so what all did you change. Note my sensors on the motor are for gauges not lights. Does anyone have or no a good way I can test those 3 gauges that aren't working.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I have a 86 c10 the truck originally had dash indicator lights aka idiot lights. I no longer have that instrument cluster. My problem is that I'm trying to use a instrument cluster that has gauges but I'm not having any luck getting it to work. I had to repin a few terminals, and I currently have the turn signals, dash lights and high beam indicator working. However I don't have the gas gauge oil and temp gauges working. The voltmeter moves but I'm not sure if it's accurate. Has anyone changed this over before and if so what all did you change. Note my sensors on the motor are for gauges not lights. Does anyone have or no a good way I can test those 3 gauges that aren't working.

Is your "IGN/GAUGES" fuse okay?

Shilaeli hugger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Burdaddy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
I know that the oil switch is different between the light and gauge trucks

*edit nevermind. Didnt see that in ur post.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Will your gauges at least move when you turn the vehicle on? It's multiple gauges so I think it's safe to assume that they're not getting power and/or input and not a fault in the gauges themselves. Besides a bad printed circuit, I don't know what to suggest about the wiring because I'm not very familiar with it. I guess I'm out of my element. @chengny?

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
If your "new" gauge cluster isn't from the same year time frame it wont read correctly because there's different resistances for sensors and cluster between the years

critter2655

Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
The gauges match the sensors, the temp and oil pressure sensors are different from a light to a gauge, and both of these are new and were bought for a gauge. The cluster is also for the same year/ period truck. The volt gauge works the oil temp moves and the temp gauge sometimes does something, stay pegged. I've got like ten of these clusters and I've tried switching around and nothing changes. Also the gas gauge does absolutely nothing. The senring unit is new and is grounded well. If somebody had a good picture of the printed circuit for the cluster with lights only that would help

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blazermaniac