dana 60 backlash problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
truck is a dana 60 factory trac-lock 4.56

I recently pulled my front carrier to replace the axle seals, after I put it back in I noticed the backlash was an awful lot, So the dial indicator ranged from 14-17 thousands Which I know is too much, The ring gear side has 1 shim and the carrier side has 2 shims, Im assuming it was like that its whole life the truck only has 28,000 miles, So I understand I need to add some shims to the ring gear side but the shims are behind the bearings so my question is do I need to remove the bearing to add a shim, if so how much shim would be appropriate?

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Thais a little late but...

Yes, you need to remove the bearings to install/change the shims.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Be sure to check your specs on the track lock carrier too, as in what it calls for. It does sound very loose though and I'd imagine that's not normal.

I once bought a Detroil Locker 4.56 rear end for cheap cheap cuz the guy said the whole thing needed re-set up, way to much lash and something maybe broke. If you spun the yoke, it had about a 1/3 of a turn in what felt like lash or slop. Bought it, pulled the cover, the lash looked fine and gear to gear was not much. After a little research, found out, that's normal for Detroit Lockers to feel that way.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
As much as 14 thousandths is acceptable for used gears. You may have gained a little from wear on the pinion shims.

Posted MOBILE!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ta1nt3d