daily driver locker?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boonie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
I am finally where I am able to start working on my drivetrain, and want to put a locker in the rear. Since this will be a daily driver, I am wanting to get different opinions on which way to go. I had a Detroit in two different trucks, and was happy with it. Guess Im just wanting to check and see if Detroit is still considered the best, or if there is something better out there. I don't want an air locker. Truck is a 74 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4. Thanks....

philjafo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20 scottsdale
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205/d44/corp14
I run a Detroit in the 14 bolt in my 78. It's not a daily driver but that's only because I don't want to drive it on the salty winter roads, has nothing to do with the locker. Had a few trucks with limited slip diffs and they are invisible on normal roads, but the same off road. Air or electric lockers could break a wire or blow an oring, then your stuck with an open diff. Detroits been around and proven for a long time, they were the favorite of the military in the cucv too.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
If you were happy with a detroit locker before then stick with it. The only thing I can say is you might look into the yukon grizzly locker. They supposedly took the detroit design and improved a few things on it to make it stronger.
Not sure how many people here are into the habit of breaking a 14 bolt FF detroit locker...

That being said I chose the detroit for mine.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, go with what you like. I've heard the Yukon Grizzly is an Equal. I'd go with either the Detroit or the Grizzly cuz I like to KNOW I'm locked up. I'll deal with a little noise that I normally can't hear anyway over the stereo or throaty exhaust. 2nd choice would be a lunchbox locker, they are also lockers, but not as strong but are cheaper. Not any easier to install though in a 14b full floater since you have to split the case anyway, but worth considering if it were a 14b semi floater and you didn't need to pull the carrier for install, 3rd choice would be the Limited Slip Diff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eatfood