Crate 700r4 for $1500 or less?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
i've never pulled a trailer that weighed less than 2000# :lol: seriously, before dropping coin on a reman from someone on the internet, look around for local guys. i've got a built 60E, and for about $1000 less than the guys on the internet wanted for the same options... plus if something goes wrong with it, i drag the truck over to them, and they fix it... no need to pull it, crate it, arrange freight shipping, wait for the trans to ship and all that crap.

Good points GDog. I'd assumed he wasn't haven't any luck locally since he asked us. I'm just wondering what the deal is with those tow #'s?? That just doesn't sound right. I could pull a 1000lb trailer with my damn Maxima. I want to know if they're crazy or am I misinterpreting that box of the form.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I don't know how far you are from Weatherford, TX but these guys seem to have very positive reviews. The best thing is, their warranty doesn't start until your truck does. So if you go the tranny in Oct, but don't get the truck togther until Feb, then that's when the warranty starts.

http://www.phoenixtrans.com/html/about_us.html

towman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
last time i checked the gm dealer they were 1.200 wich when gm does them they get all the latest updates

johnmc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
k 10
Engine Size
305 tuneport injected
i just got s crate transmission built to my specs. aka monster in a box lol. from Monster transmission. It shifts great and we love it . You can pic your stall speed and you get a good warrantee . took about 8 days it was at my door . they test them before they ship also.
look them up eatmyshift.com

johnmc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
k 10
Engine Size
305 tuneport injected
i just got s crate transmission built to my specs. aka monster in a box lol. from Monster transmission. It shifts great and we love it . You can pic your stall speed and you get a good warrantee . took about 8 days it was at my door . they test them before they ship also.

i just looked up a 700r4 it was 989 . free shipped to a business or say you have one .

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Good warranty on that Monster. The price is not bad either. Even after buying their Converter you'd be like $300 under your budget number.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454

wow...that sounds like a great deal!!! I may have to keep that in mind when I decide to upgrade my tranny.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks for the advice, I secured a 700r4 from my dad that I'll be bringing to a goodtrans shop tomorrow after work. Its supposedly out of a car and needs a special 4 prong plug to work, but I'll let him tell me if it can be made to work and if so, I'll ask for a quote to completely rebuild it with a warranty and a new converter.

You must be registered for see images attach

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I went through and filled out the online order form to see what the options were for the Level 1 and see how the price would be affected by different things. I would probably order something like this over the phone, or at least start an email convo w/someone to verify you're getting exactly what you want/need. What I thought was weird, was that the towing options were "No", 1,000lbs, or 2,000 lbs. I've pulled way more than that with the stock 700r4 in my truck. I wonder why those numbers were so low?? I can't see it being able to shift behind 350hp, but can't tow more than a couple jet-skis and a trailer. :think:

Not for nuthin, but i have been through a stage 1, and a raptor from PATC, both right at about 2 years from purchase... got to tow twice I think with the raptor, about a 4500# trailer, And my engine does not put out much over 230 hp.
If you are going to carb the engine, you will need a lockup kit installed, which your trans guy will be able to help you with.

Last edited:

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
This 65 will never see a trailer or for that matter anything in the bed. When I'm done all it will see is sunny days and car shows-but mostly lots of roadway on sunny days.

Update...

Yesterday I dropped the trans pictured above off to a local trans shop recommended by everyone. Guy said its an 86-91 trans and is exactly the one I want. He said they make a 'Painless' wiring kit that plugs into the plug on the trans and wires in directly and provides the lockup.

He is going to pull the trans apart next week and call me, to tell me what it needs. I told him I want it like new. He said $800-1,100 and thats only if it needs something radical.Price will Include the wiring kit and a brand new converter. When he calls me I'm going to tell him I want a good warranty with the work.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
:popcorn:

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Not for nuthin, but i have been through a stage 1, and a raptor from PATC, both right at about 2 years from purchase... got to tow twice I think with the raptor, about a 4500# trailer, And my engine does not put out much over 230 hp.
If you are going to carb the engine, you will need a lockup kit installed, which your trans guy will be able to help you with.

By "been through" did you mean destroyed??