Code Readers, OBDl OBDll and CAN Bus

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Does anyone I know have an Actron CP9145 Code Reader/Super Auto Scanner? What software version does yours have? I haven't used mine in years and wanted to update the software and not finding any support. It also appears it's not CAN compliant??? Also, if you have an OBD1 cable for yours and not needing it, lemme know how much you want for it.

If someone has a CP9145 turn it on, go to Tool Set Up, ENTER, Tool Information, ENTER and see what Software Version you have. I guess I just need to see if I have the latest software. My Version is 7F14H with a burn date of 6//4/04. Seems to me there would be a later version before this was discontinued. Maybe not since CAN came about around 2007.

It appears I'll probably keep this one and get the OBD1 cables, keep it for OBD1 and OBDll, and get another tool for OBDll and CAN apps. Looks like there are some reasonable scanners that are ODBll and CAN including Graph Data and such. I still want the latest software for this CP9145 though. I don't think I'll ever buy another Actron tool since they don't offer support for discontinued items. That's kinda ******** if you ask me.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Does anyone I know have an Actron CP9145 Code Reader/Super Auto Scanner? What software version does yours have? I haven't used mine in years and wanted to update the software and not finding any support. It also appears it's not CAN compliant??? Also, if you have an OBD1 cable for yours and not needing it, lemme know how much you want for it.

If someone has a CP9145 turn it on, go to Tool Set Up, ENTER, Tool Information, ENTER and see what Software Version you have. I guess I just need to see if I have the latest software. My Version is 7F14H with a burn date of 6//4/04. Seems to me there would be a later version before this was discontinued. Maybe not since CAN came about around 2007.

It appears I'll probably keep this one and get the OBD1 cables, keep it for OBD1 and OBDll, and get another tool for OBDll and CAN apps. Looks like there are some reasonable scanners that are ODBll and CAN including Graph Data and such. I still want the latest software for this CP9145 though. I don't think I'll ever buy another Actron tool since they don't offer support for discontinued items. That's kinda ******** if you ask me.
I will look when I get home.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So here's the response I got from Bosch/Actron about my Super Auto Scanner. Kinda ******** if you ask me. No support and no ***** to give. At least they responded I guess I should be happy for that.

No software updates were ever released for the CP9145. The tool was a Global OBD II capable tool and the only change in OBD II was a communications protocol change that required the installation of a different circuit board in the CP9145. This was offered until 2009. The upgrade was quite expensive at the time(nearly the price of a new tool) and because of a lack of sales it was discontinued. The easiest way to know if your tool has the upgrade installed(by end user or factory) is to check the software version in the tool. If the tool has SWID version 40EEH or 361AH then it was upgraded and would still be capable of scanning vehicles through the current model year by manually selecting Global OBD II as the vehicle. If the tool has any other SWID version it would not have the circuitry to communicate with newer vehicles and a new tool would be needed

Best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Gerald

Bosch Automotive Service Solutions LLC

ACTRON TECHNICAL SUPPORT

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
So here's the response I got from Bosch/Actron about my Super Auto Scanner. Kinda ******** if you ask me. No support and no ***** to give. At least they responded I guess I should be happy for that.

No software updates were ever released for the CP9145. The tool was a Global OBD II capable tool and the only change in OBD II was a communications protocol change that required the installation of a different circuit board in the CP9145. This was offered until 2009. The upgrade was quite expensive at the time(nearly the price of a new tool) and because of a lack of sales it was discontinued. The easiest way to know if your tool has the upgrade installed(by end user or factory) is to check the software version in the tool. If the tool has SWID version 40EEH or 361AH then it was upgraded and would still be capable of scanning vehicles through the current model year by manually selecting Global OBD II as the vehicle. If the tool has any other SWID version it would not have the circuitry to communicate with newer vehicles and a new tool would be needed

Best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Gerald

Bosch Automotive Service Solutions LLC

ACTRON TECHNICAL SUPPORT
My OBD1 scanner is an Alltest all scan. And my OBD2 is an OTC scanpro then I have a VAG305 for ABS,airbag,ECM and TCM for VW and Audi

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Well I won't be buying another Actron if this is the way fail to support their tools. I'll keep this one since I like it so much. I'll try to find the GM, Ford, Chrysler OBD 1 cables for it since it's an OBD1 and 2 compatible scanner. Just pisses me off, had I bought the same exact scanner 2 years later it would also be CAN bus compliant for vehicles after 2007 to current. Since it's not I have to buy another tool. I was thinking about a nice looking Autel tool but on eBay I found a good looking Konnwei I'm thinking about when I get rich. Never heard of that brand before but it sure seems to have alot of features for the buck.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I just bought a scanner just obd2 though i think off a guy on cl for 40bucks. It's a harbor freight one sold for 100.00 looks brand new havnt messed with it much I wonder how new of vehicle it will work for? Hope it was worth it

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I just bought a scanner just obd2 though i think off a guy on cl for 40bucks. It's a harbor freight one sold for 100.00 looks brand new havnt messed with it much I wonder how new of vehicle it will work for? Hope it was worth it

If it's a newer one, it should be CAN bus compatible. What model is it?

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I'm sorry I'm kind of dumb on that can bus whats that mean I looked that part up but dont get it. Just mean I can see the live data? Or more then that? Just a cheapy but figure for 40bucks what the neck why not

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
CAN is for Controller Area Network. It's actually CAN bus. Later model vehicles have actual separate systems. You have things like Body Control Modules, Powertrain Modules, ABS Modules, Traction Control Modules, Air Bag Systems Module and even more. You could have 6 different computer systems in a vehicle these days. So all these systems need to be able to communicate with each other. For example, Traction Control system may use the same wheel sensors as the ABS braking system. So they share the same info but do different jobs. Sooooooo kinda like how a motherboard has a BUSS to move information and all the components communicate with each other, rather than having a Main computer in a vehicle for all these systems, the systems will communicate with each other on the Controller Area Network Bus. Hence CAN or CAN bus. At least that was my understanding when I started playing around with it somewhere about 4 years ago.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
These newer vehicle are pretty damn smart and communication with all those systems to be able to communicate with each other. Things like AC and Cruise Control are sometimes controlled by the Body Control Module. Obviously the Body control module needs to communicate with Powertrain module since that's there the throttle to the vehicle is controlled, like to raise idle for the AC at low rpms, or to hold the throttle for Cruise control. Traction control will communicate with the powertrain module to limit the throttle when needed or the ABS system to apply brake pressure to one wheel to encourage traction to another wheel. Kinda crazy **** but it all makes sesne.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
These newer vehicle are pretty damn smart and communication with all those systems to be able to communicate with each other. Things like AC and Cruise Control are sometimes controlled by the Body Control Module. Obviously the Body control module needs to communicate with Powertrain module since that's there the throttle to the vehicle is controlled, like to raise idle for the AC at low rpms, or to hold the throttle for Cruise control. Traction control will communicate with the powertrain module to limit the throttle when needed or the ABS system to apply brake pressure to one wheel to encourage traction to another wheel. Kinda crazy **** but it all makes sesne.
CAN system man it's great until you have to recode a fuking replacement headlight with a 20 digit code or the bitch won't work.......but now your getting into my realm.lol hell Demag overhead cranes have CAN bus systems now.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Ain't that some ****. A damn headlight is controlled by the Body Control Module? Medium Duty and Heavy Duty Big Rigs have the same **** these days and have for close to 10 years. That's how I started getting a bit into CAN, was working on one of wreckers and IIRC, that was a 2008 International.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Ain't that some ****. A damn headlight is controlled by the Body Control Module? Medium Duty and Heavy Duty Big Rigs have the same **** these days and have for close to 10 years. That's how I started getting a bit into CAN, was working on one of wreckers and IIRC, that was a 2008 International.
Well the fancy self leveling ones. Because when 2 ton Tessy hops in the back your Jetta can't be spotting monkeys.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SMC2224