Cant get rid of paint overspray on inside windshield

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Is it maybe some kind of adhesive? Maybe Goo Gone will work? :shrug: Keep in mind, sometimes these chemical remedies have to have time to do their job. Like Goo Gone for example. Get it on there fairly heavy and give it time to melt down the adhesive before trying to wipe it dry.

I once splashed some self etching primer on my new pretty red Lincoln welder. It's still there to this day and it's not coming off with any chemical. Or at least any chemical that wouldn't eat the pretty red paint on the welder too. I couldn't even get the primer to fade. It's there forever.

spenser21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
a
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I know a guy who tints windows... hes always used a mix of windex and ammonia to remove the tint... then whatever glue mess was left came off with a razor blade like butter... sounds like your way past that but ammonia you can get a grocery store and just use that stuff straight for like 2 bucks

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
Is it a whitish foggy looking area? I've had that before after working on my cowl area, evidently bumped glass with hood that the glass started de-lamming and the safety plastic inside the lamination shows up whitish or this film that would not come off...because it was inside the glass.:whymewhyme: Ended up getting a new windshield since had some pitting in the glass too, damn Murphy's law anyway.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Is it a whitish foggy looking area? I've had that before after working on my cowl area, evidently bumped glass with hood that the glass started de-lamming and the safety plastic inside the lamination shows up whitish or this film that would not come off...because it was inside the glass.:whymewhyme: Ended up getting a new windshield since had some pitting in the glass too, damn Murphy's law anyway.

It is a foggy area now that the color is gone. It is definately on the inside of glass as I can scratch at it with finger nails.

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
What happens when you try a glass polish on it, type that has a light abrasive in it?

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
If you zoom in to the right of steering wheel, that is what I am dealing with.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7iQnlFQvJfMOWV1eW14UDJzMTg

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
It could be that the glass is permanently etched and you can't do anything about it. What kind of paint was it? How long was it on there?

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Fwiw, toothpaste is also a light abrasive.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Here is a pic of the spot I am trying to clean up.

Attachments

• IMG_0057.jpg
    IMG_0057.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 131

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
It could be that the glass is permanently etched and you can't do anything about it. What kind of paint was it? How long was it on there?

It was there before I bought the truck in 9-2013.

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Maybe someone got a deal on a blem windshield.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Here is a pic of the spot I am trying to clean up.

hmmm, I'm wondering if you just don't have a bad windshield. It's very possible you know. That doesn't look like paint in the pic. That looks more like a fog. Safety glass or windshields are made of laminates. That is so when they break they shatter and crumble. You might have a bad windshield where there was some moisture between the laminates that didn't dry properly and left a fog between the pieces.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Maybe someone got a deal on a blem windshield.

Ohh now I see you said the same thing. That's what I'm thinking it could be. There is such thing as ghosts living in a windshield. Most think windshields are just glass. Nope !!! They are layers of glass, plastic and glues. There could be a ghost on either side of the plastic laminate between the layers of glass and glues. One of the guys I worked with at one of the tow yards, we called him Assman, cuz he was an Auto Glassman installer by trade before he started tow truck driving. I learned lots about windshields from him. He usually checked them out after crashed cars and broken windshields and could tell if it was good or low quality windshield. There is a difference in quality in the type of laminates used, bonding agents, glues etc.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
hmmm, I'm wondering if you just don't have a bad windshield. It's very possible you know. That doesn't look like paint in the pic. That looks more like a fog. Safety glass or windshields are made of laminates. That is so when they break they shatter and crumble. You might have a bad windshield where there was some moisture between the laminates that didn't dry properly and left a fog between the pieces.

Thing is, I can feel where it starts and stops. I can leave finger nail scritches in it, too. I have 10 days of vaca starting in a few hours. Ill have plenty of time to figure it out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevbak88