Can you tell / decode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
That kinda reminds me of the demise of CONSOLE boy lol
You'll have to enlighten me sometime. :D All I have to say is that the only 3-oh-junky-7 I ever had, lasted for about three, 4K shifts. Yeah, it was used, but it was fine mechanically. Put it in, pulled it out. Lol. There's probably a good reason they didn't produce them very long....

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
You'll have to enlighten me sometime. :D All I have to say is that the only 3-oh-junky-7 I ever had, lasted for about three, 4K shifts. Yeah, it was used, but it was fine mechanically. Put it in, pulled it out. Lol. There's probably a good reason they didn't produce them very long....
The one I had outlasted the glide lol it’s was next to death when I got it. It ran when I sold the car.

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size

I've had three 307 motors in pickup trucks. They all did just fine. If you don't drive em like you stole em they last a long long long time. The 350 & 400 small blocks won't last if you run em hard.

I replaced a spent 305 in an '86 with one out of a '70 Chevelle. Free truck and Free motor. No smoke at all got decent mileage and drove it over 100,000 miles before I sold it. The guy I sold it to asked what it had. I told him a 307. He said I must be mistaken it had a 305. I didn't care to correct him.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
My kid's 1st car (68 Nova) was a 307 pg car. Did him good for a while Then we pit a quadrajet on it with headers. That was good for a while . Then MY 327 and a 2200 stall converter with the pg .and put in 3.42 positrac. That worked pretty good. Finally converted to a Muncie and slapper bars. cost me a lot . shoulda left the 307 pg combo

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
My kid's 1st car (68 Nova) was a 307 pg car. Did him good for a while Then we pit a quadrajet on it with headers. That was good for a while . Then MY 327 and a 2200 stall converter with the pg .and put in 3.42 positrac. That worked pretty good. Finally converted to a Muncie and slapper bars. cost me a lot . shoulda left the 307 pg combo
When the girls started driving their VWs I’d lose parts all the time. I feel your pain lol

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I've had three 307 motors in pickup trucks. They all did just fine. If you don't drive em like you stole em they last a long long long time. The 350 & 400 small blocks won't last if you run em hard.

I replaced a spent 305 in an '86 with one out of a '70 Chevelle. Free truck and Free motor. No smoke at all got decent mileage and drove it over 100,000 miles before I sold it. The guy I sold it to asked what it had. I told him a 307. He said I must be mistaken it had a 305. I didn't care to correct him.
That's cool you've had better luck than me with them. Guess we'll have to agree, to disagree. Lol. I love 350's. Best used motor I put in something was one of those crate Goodwrench "Mexican motors". It was wore out, but we tossed a used cam in it, and ran the crap out of it. Floated the valves a few times around 6300, and it still held together. I still have it, if anyone is looking for a rebuilder. It's been broken in real good.... Lol. Now, I'll only mess with the BBC stuff though. There's just no comparison.

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
4,000 RPM shifts and floating the valves at 6,300 RPM on a regular basis is gonna be rough on the innards of any V8 engine. Big blocks really really don't like higher RPMs.
I spat the rods out of several Oldsmobile and Pontiac 455 engines when I was a teenager. I loved the Caddy 472 & 500 motors but I discovered they don't love sustained high RPMs and shock loads either.

As an adult I've run a 472 Caddy in a 1979 C20 pickup. It drops right in. I sold it when I bought the 1976 K20 6.5L Diesel project. I still regret selling the 79 not building the diesel. A buddy runs one in a 1977 C20 towing a 31' Airstream Sovereign. He claims it goes up the Grapevine at 70+ MPH with no trouble at all with overheating or power.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
4,000 RPM shifts and floating the valves at 6,300 RPM on a regular basis is gonna be rough on the innards of any V8 engine. Big blocks really really don't like higher RPMs.
I spat the rods out of several Oldsmobile and Pontiac 455 engines when I was a teenager. I loved the Caddy 472 & 500 motors but I discovered they don't love sustained high RPMs and shock loads either.

As an adult I've run a 472 Caddy in a 1979 C20 pickup. It drops right in. I sold it when I bought the 1976 K20 6.5L Diesel project. I still regret selling the 79 not building the diesel. A buddy runs one in a 1977 C20 towing a 31' Airstream Sovereign. He claims it goes up the Grapevine at 70+ MPH with no trouble at all with overheating or power.
And then we discover something in common..... Lol. I gave up on the Caddys. In high school, I put a 500 in my 70 Nova. For a broke ass high school kid- how can you argue with 400hp, 550 ft lbs stock? Modified some bbc headers to fit. Really wanted a CMD black widow intake, but the dude wanted 800 bucks for one. I just found a pic of it last night. I'll post it later. I replaced a few cranks, because of spun rod bearings. For sure, a weakness. I like the BBC now, since I can get the same power, without spinning them up. Way cheaper on the wallet..... Lol

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
And when you get some time, I'll tell you about my Datsun pickup that had a Toyota 20R in it, with a TRD Yamaha DOHC head. Sidedraft Webbers. Lmao. What a POS. It sure would rev though.... F that stuff anymore.... Cubic inches....

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
And when you get some time, I'll tell you about my Datsun pickup that had a Toyota 20R in it, with a TRD Yamaha DOHC head. Sidedraft Webbers. Lmao. What a POS. It sure would rev though.... F that stuff anymore.... Cubic inches....
You want rpm play with rotary engines. I used to shift my old 74 at 9000 lol

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
It was a 13B with a Holley in a ugly ass 74 pick up truck lol
Oh man, I would have loved one of those! To give you an idea- I paid 300 bucks for the thing, not running. Rebuilt the carbs, and I was good to go. I don't think I won a single race, but when they were right next to me, and I slammed the 1-2 at 7500+..... The looks I got were so worth it. Lmao...

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Oh man, I would have loved one of those! To give you an idea- I paid 300 bucks for the thing, not running. Rebuilt the carbs, and I was good to go. I don't think I won a single race, but when they were right next to me, and I slammed the 1-2 at 7500+..... The looks I got were so worth it. Lmao...
A friend of mine bought a C10 and an 80 Camaro and the said it was a package deal and he had to take the Mazda. He didn’t want it so I took it. Beat the piss out of it and sold it to a PR for 1500 it was rotted to **** and smoked like a freight train lol

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
A friend of mine bought a C10 and an 80 Camaro and the said it was a package deal and he had to take the Mazda. He didn’t want it so I took it. Beat the piss out of it and sold it to a PR for 1500 it was rotted to **** and smoked like a freight train lol
Ok, yours was worse than mine. You know it's bad, when you HAVE to take it as part of a deal. Kinda like the camper I made a dude take with my 1 ton trailer bed. Lol. Yeah, I had to give him a discount though.... His first stop on the way home, was the dump.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pasturepilot