Can you tell / decode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
My kid's 1st car (68 Nova) was a 307 pg car. Did him good for a while Then we pit a quadrajet on it with headers. That was good for a while . Then MY 327 and a 2200 stall converter with the pg .and put in 3.42 positrac. That worked pretty good. Finally converted to a Muncie and slapper bars. cost me a lot . shoulda left the 307 pg combo

I had a 71 2 door nova with the 307 and PG. IT was **** for gas mileage and at the time I was 16 and having to drive about 20 miles one way for work. I loved that car but I hated the front drum brakes on it. I wish I still had it, but given what it was then I'd like to find a crew cab version of the last year model (I think 78 or so). something really plain looking, and make a sleeper out of it with a nice LS swap and all that room under the hood for a snail and a 4l80E... I'd just troll around all day looking for mustangs at stop lights..

Croc1990

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dakota
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
So got it all back together and cranks but won' fire not even a sputter. I'e tried turning the cap and no dice. So I'll be checking for spark and likely be redoing the timing.
So I'll make sure there's power to the pink wire that goes to the + on the cap (with key on)
Then find tdc on the compression stroke, and make on base of dizzy where #1 should be and try to line rotor to that?
Then rerun spark plug wires accoding to order that' on manifold.
I think that' the procedure in a nutshell.
Shouldn't the truck sort of start or sputter if timings out.

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
That's pretty much the way it's done.

Depends on how far out of time it is.
If you stabbed it in 180° out of phase, or near there, it may not be firing in a place where it does anything.

Check for spark with an inductive timing light or an inline spark tester.
Is the harness from the distributor to the cap tightly plugged in?
Is the HEI BAT terminal tightly plugged in?
How does the little pigtail that goes from the cap into the distributor look? Those three wires take a beating. AC Delco makes an inexpensive replacement if yours is worse for wear. It's AC Delco D221 and it costs around $15-$20.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xXmutantXx