Cab swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
It turned into a big hush hush operation just so he could get a title, like this guy is talking about. The boat was going to be "sold" to a member in California and theoretically sold back to the owner after the guy gets a title or some nonsense.

Another plan was to find a wrecked boat to rob the vin number off of.

This guy even took in multiple pictures of himself building the boat basically from scratch and they still denied him a title, so he had a bad ass hot rod boat he cant even register and enjoy after all his effort.

Its crap, I feel bad for the OP and his bike problem, it must suck to know you own something but cant prove it.
Yeah, but the state should have records of his ownership, it doesn't make sense.

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Yeah, but the state should have records of his ownership, it doesn't make sense.

I've heard of crazier things than this.. All happens when you have inflexible beauracrats who refuse to reason and use logic, instead rely on blanket rules, and rulez iz rulez attitudes, in addition to an uncaring, attitude these people EVERY SINGLE ONE I"VE DEALT WITH just aren't there to assist in any way possible.

I've seen this a lot where you can't title it in one state, but can in another, so you have a friend title it there, then buy it, and it is all ok for them to transfer it.

STUPID, but that's how they are sometimes. THey are unelected, and don't care, they collect the paycheck whether they help or not.

dee123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
someones bitter

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
someones bitter

Im going to guess you live in Ontario Canada, not Ontario Oregon.

Its true, every DMV I have been to in multiple states just seem to work against you or find any little glitch to prevent you from accomplishing what you went in for. Most cases you will wait in line upwards of an hour or more just to get shut down in the first few minutes, there is no discussing anything you just move along. It got bad enough in New Mexico they started sub contracting alot of the stuff the DMV does to private companies with their own buildings.

dee123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
where i live is a small town and the MTO (ministry of transportation) people are very friendly. Even the cops are decent. Last time i registered a vehicle, i was short 5 bucks and the MTO lady covered it for me.

dee123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
yes, ontario canada.

StuB

Reaction score
First Name
Stu
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
I would really rather not cut the VIN out if I can help it.

The "new" cab does not have a VIN plate. The yard had to remove it before they could legally sell it to me.

After looking it up, I'm 90% confident that I will be OK if I move the VIN because it doesn't fit the elements listed in the criminal code:

1. I am making a "reasonable repair" that affects the VIN.
2. I am the owner of the vehicle (and have proof of purchase for the "new" cab).
3. I am not doing it in order to defraud anyone or the government.
4. I am not doing it to traffic in stolen vehicles or property.
5. I am not trying to fradulently title a salvaged/disposed vehicle.
6. The VIN plate will match the number on the frame.

I will not be changing the base color of the vehicle either, so there wouldn't be anything "out of place" except the rivits (unless I can somehow get some reproductions).

I'm still checking to make sure I'm going about this legally, but if I don't find anything that definately says otherwise.....I'm going for it.

Great cutout Stub. Good work and nice fit !!!

Just going to throw my opinion and suggestion out there. I do know, you don't want to tamper or damage the VIN plate. Including the rivets. Notice the rivets are star type. So not like you have just use regular rivets to reattach it. You know for a fact its not stolen. I'd cut the vin out just like you did the hump. I'd probably put 3 inches around the 3 sides, then up to the firewall. Weld it in just like the hump. Your dashpad is going to cover it. I am aware of someone who did this long ago. They carefully removed the VIN plate with the rivets still in it. Opened up the holes just a hair on the doner cab, and was able to use glue and restick the VIN plate with the rivets glued tight and their original holes without any welding at all. Also keep in mind, and go look for it. Top of the frame rail passenger side under the cab, about where the passenger seat would be, you'll see the full VIN engraved into the frame. I'd put your original VIN as best as you could to make it not noticeable, and in the event you have a legal issue, you still have the frame stamped VIN that matches proving your situation that no malice was intended whatsoever. What are the odds of it ever becoming an issue? I don't think you have any illegal intent at all. I'd go for it, but certainly wouldn't advertise it either.

StuB

Reaction score
First Name
Stu
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
BTW, if you're in the rust belt, and I'd do it anyway, I'd clean that bottom of the donor cab very well. Maybe even sand blast it with a cheap shoulder strap carry blaster if that's all you have or can get. Then I'd shoot the bottom with rubberized coating, or maybe even some bed liner material. Just make sure it adhere's to the metal very good. If not, it can still rust under the coating.

I'm going to do the whole bottom with something that is very similar to rhino-liner. My friend sells it and has all the stuff to apply it.
He also has some other stuff, similar to cosmoline, that goes on the inside of the doors.

For the inside of the cab I'll use POR-15....and apply it to the floors, the hump, the kick panel area and the door bottoms. Hell, I might just do the whole damned inside of the cab, dash and all.

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
I'm going to do the whole bottom with something that is very similar to rhino-liner. My friend sells it and has all the stuff to apply it.
He also has some other stuff, similar to cosmoline, that goes on the inside of the doors.

For the inside of the cab I'll use POR-15....and apply it to the floors, the hump, the kick panel area and the door bottoms. Hell, I might just do the whole damned inside of the cab, dash and all.

I keep saying I'd like to find a big vat of rhinno liner or something, and get a rust free cab, and just dip the whole sucker under for a while till it's soaked into every crevice, and then pull it out, and let it drip off, and dry..

Maybe THEN I could have a vehicle actually handle the salt they throw everywhere if there's a slight mist in October all the way until May around here. I swear, how come the EPA doesn't shut this down? I mean, if I was dumping that much ANYTHING somewhere like they do, I'd be in DEEP trouble! I wonder if they calculated how much damage the salt does, and compared it to the potential damages from possible increased wreck without salt, if they'd come up with it actually being better for everyone if they just didn't salt the roads. IN my opinion, no salt would simply get rid of those individuals you end up diggin out of the ditch anyways, so it would be helpful in a way, right? :D

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I keep saying I'd like to find a big vat of rhinno liner or something, and get a rust free cab, and just dip the whole sucker under for a while till it's soaked into every crevice, and then pull it out, and let it drip off, and dry..

Maybe THEN I could have a vehicle actually handle the salt they throw everywhere if there's a slight mist in October all the way until May around here. I swear, how come the EPA doesn't shut this down? I mean, if I was dumping that much ANYTHING somewhere like they do, I'd be in DEEP trouble! I wonder if they calculated how much damage the salt does, and compared it to the potential damages from possible increased wreck without salt, if they'd come up with it actually being better for everyone if they just didn't salt the roads. IN my opinion, no salt would simply get rid of those individuals you end up diggin out of the ditch anyways, so it would be helpful in a way, right? :D

By salt do you mean Magnacloride? I was an apprentice for ADOT when Arizona started using that stuff. Its not good for the environment, it completely eats everything metal (even ate stainless steel) and the stuff we had would actually freeze around 0 making it slicker than the ice it melted in the first place.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Ohhhhhhh, that mag water is some bad ****. You can damn near sit and watch that stuff eat your vehicle away. That stuff really needs to be outlawed and some other product figured out.

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
By salt do you mean Magnacloride? I was an apprentice for ADOT when Arizona started using that stuff. Its not good for the environment, it completely eats everything metal (even ate stainless steel) and the stuff we had would actually freeze around 0 making it slicker than the ice it melted in the first place.

Honestly, I have no idea, it looks like blue salt crystals, with sand mixed in. But man does it eat the metal out of your cars!! Stuff is horrid. Also, it kills trees all along the freeway, you can see the mist kicked up by the vehicles, when it's wet, and that line, is the same line where the trees start dying all along I-94 Anyone who drives between Hudson and Menomonie knows what I am talking about.

Look at my truck floor pics to see what happens to cars in this after a few years. I tell you it is criminal!! I cannot imagine that it is at all good for the environment. They'll shut down the GIbson guitar factory with federal agents with machineguns over a dispute over whether fretboard blanks imported from India are a finished product or not, but if a state government decides to just throw stuff all over the place it's no big deal. Kinda like how they would go after junk yards and auto shops over leaky oil storage, when they'd go around in trucks spraying oil on rural roads all year long..

You can't spray your sewage on your field, but if the guy who has the right permit pumps your septic, he can.. For a fee of course... It's not the have's and have not's in this country. It's the Can's and not allowed to's..

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Honestly, I have no idea, it looks like blue salt crystals, with sand mixed in. But man does it eat the metal out of your cars!! Stuff is horrid. Also, it kills trees all along the freeway, you can see the mist kicked up by the vehicles, when it's wet, and that line, is the same line where the trees start dying all along I-94 Anyone who drives between Hudson and Menomonie knows what I am talking about.

Look at my truck floor pics to see what happens to cars in this after a few years. I tell you it is criminal!! I cannot imagine that it is at all good for the environment. They'll shut down the GIbson guitar factory with federal agents with machineguns over a dispute over whether fretboard blanks imported from India are a finished product or not, but if a state government decides to just throw stuff all over the place it's no big deal. Kinda like how they would go after junk yards and auto shops over leaky oil storage, when they'd go around in trucks spraying oil on rural roads all year long..

You can't spray your sewage on your field, but if the guy who has the right permit pumps your septic, he can.. For a fee of course... It's not the have's and have not's in this country. It's the Can's and not allowed to's..

Sounds like mag water to me. You even rinse the crap off your vehicle on your lawn, it kills your lawn. ODOT was using it on 2 very bad bridges we have here, that are on extended in the air for miles and riddled with accidents in bad weather. I had heard their intent was to monitor these bridges remotely and able to spray mag water thru electonic sprinklers in the road. I think after manaully using the stuff for about 2 years, and they realized how bad the stuff was even though it works great for melting ice, I believe that have decided to cancel the automated plan due to the harm that mag water does.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
That sounds like magnachloride, it does kill plants and its seeping into ground water. Same thing in Az, after their first snow season of using that nasty **** you could see it killing the tree's off the shoulder.

I think cinders work fine.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I wish they would just plow the snow and leave it at that. Then it would be just about impossible for the idiots to drive, leaving the roads open to the folks that CAN drive.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06