Cab swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StuB

Reaction score
First Name
Stu
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
Can't say I blame you for doing a cab swap!

Oh, it looks like that trans is a TH350, based on vacuum modulator in the back. 700-R4's don't have one, and the TH400 has it up by the front of the trans.

Ahhh, good to know about the transmission, thanks!

I am seriously thinking about trying to swap out the current motor (Jasper 350 a previous owner installed) and transmission with a LT-1 and 4L60E I pulled from my '96 Caprice.

StuB

Reaction score
First Name
Stu
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
One question, what are you going to do about VIN# issues? Did you get a title with the replacement cab, what is the plan. Something I am concerned about if I try something like this. Knowing my luck, I'd get arrested for federal crime of "altering a VIN" if I tried it..

I am researching that at the moment. I'd really like to just move the plate to the "new" cab...which already had it's VIN removed.

I am not a legal expert (though I am a LEO). So far, I haven't found anything specific in my state laws concerning VIN transfer/replacement rein conjunction with vehicle repair.... other than for salvaged and abandoned vehicles. Everything else seems to be concerning "intent to commit" fraud or vehicle theft....which don't fit what I would like to do.

Regarding Federal law, it states in 18 USC 511 - "Altering or removing motor vehicle identification numbers"
(a) A person who—
(1) knowingly removes, obliterates, tampers with, or alters an identification number for a motor vehicle or motor vehicle part; or
(2) with intent to further the theft of a motor vehicle, knowingly removes, obliterates, tampers with, or alters a decal or device affixed to a motor vehicle pursuant to the Motor Vehicle Theft Prevention Act,
shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both.
(b)
(1) Subsection (a) of this section does not apply to a removal, obliteration, tampering, or alteration by a person specified in paragraph (2) of this subsection (unless such person knows that the vehicle or part involved is stolen).
(2) The persons referred to in paragraph (1) of this subsection are—
(A) a motor vehicle scrap processor or a motor vehicle demolisher who complies with applicable State law with respect to such vehicle or part;
(B) a person who repairs such vehicle or part, if the removal, obliteration, tampering, or alteration is reasonably necessary for the repair;
(C) a person who restores or replaces an identification number for such vehicle or part in accordance with applicable State law

--- I cut off the rest since it seemed to only apply to businesses ---

I think that I could quite legally qualify as "a person who repairs such vehicle or part, if the removal, obliteration, tampering, or alteration is reasonably necessary for the repair" and I would be good to go as long as there isn't a state law blocking it.

If I have to apply for a complete new VIN, I will, though I would rather not take the time if I don't have to.

The last thing I want to do is to cut and weld the dash.....it would create a considerable delay in this project and I want to have the whole thing painted as soon as we get the hump welded in.

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
honestly, before you cut a perfectly good cab... know that you can clear the transfer case with a small body lift.

StuB

Reaction score
First Name
Stu
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
honestly, before you cut a perfectly good cab... know that you can clear the transfer case with a small body lift.

I saw that, but I really like the idea of keeping the stock height and having the cab look "factory".

My buddy is very confident that we can pull it off...so I'm going for it! :)

StuB

Reaction score
First Name
Stu
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
We weren't able to get as much done as we wanted to this weekend due to bunch of other committments, but we did make good progress.

We got the cab squared up better on the dolly, which we made from 2x4's and 4" casters I picked up at Home Depot...

You must be registered for see images attach

My buddies removed some interior pieces...

We traced the outline and drew the cut lines for the hump...

We cleaned out the dirt and debris...

After being hosed and brushed we tipped the cab onto it's back...

The underside looks pretty good, even though it wasn't undercoated...

The front passenger side and rear driver side mounts wouldn't come off, so we decided to cut them off and replace them...

We used the plasma cutter to open up the channel and pry the fitting out...

Here is the fitting...

We tipped the cab back onto the dolly and cut out the C hump...

We tested the fit and made sure the paint was removed from the areas to be weld...

After a couple of tests, we diecided that the welder (a flux core, 110v, "Harbor Freight" unit, I borrowd from my brother) was really not up to the task. My buddy has a 220v MIG unit, but i don't have 220v at the house, so we decided to do the welding at his shop later this week. So to keep it from rusting in the meantime, we covered the bare metal with duct tape...

My son trying to talk me into just leaving it permenantly duct taped...

Pushing it back to the driveway at the end of the day (I'm the fat guy). the casters actually roll pretty well on the grass...

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Great pics and write up !!!!! :)

:popcorn:

StuB

Reaction score
First Name
Stu
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
Great pics and write up !!!!! :)

:popcorn:

Thanks!

I found out that one of my Assistant Scoutmasters sells automotive related chemicals and supplies... stuff like POR-15 and something similar to rhino-liner, among others... and he wants to hook me up.

So now I'm thinking that, after I get the cab prepped and painted silver (need to find the paint code) , I'll paint the cabs interior with silver POR-15 and the underside with the liner material.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I can;t believe how rust free that cab is.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Nice work!

Makes me giddy to get the cab off of my truck! Guess I should probably work on getting the garage cleaned up first. :D

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
That cab is indeed in beautiful shape!

Thing with the VIN stuff, I rmember a BUNCH of guys a few years back getting busted at car shows by some "zealous" LEO's because there isn't many options for titling old rust heaps you find in some farmer's field, and as such they had done things like pulling vins off cheap newer cars just so they could get them on the road and drivable. Sad, because it's such a stupid technicality, but you get one eager cop, and it' ruins what otherwise is a completely harmless activity. I could see looking for stolen stuff, etc, but most of it is just someone trying to make a name for themselves, and throw some clout around. Same thing happens at all the motorcycle fests (one reason I never go to them) I have an old Shovelhead harley, so I hear about this stuff, and they'll have a "checkpoint" and be hassling guys over their choppers, and so forth, and going over VIN's with a fine tooth, and of course, it's just rediculous most of the time. Maybe they catch tons of theives, maybe I am totally mis understanding but, it sure seems like to me they spend more time hassling guys who didn't steal anything but are either victims of someone selling them stolen goods, or just have some goofy mistyped something in the paperwork (yeah, like they never mistype anything, right??) Big one that spooks me on my bike is well, it's titled as a homebuilt bike.. It has an aftermarket frame, and the VIN is not in the normal place, it's on the bottom. Now, I find out that this was common in the 90's in certain states to simply use the Manufacturers MSFEO# as a VIN, since they used the right amount of numbers, etc. But, all the LEO's know is that a bike made after '69 MUST have the VIN on the neck. Well, mine doesn't.. Stupid state doesn't keep records for more than 7 years, I bought the bike from a dealer, who said it was fine, but I was unable to look up any history, since it was apparently not registered for more than 7 years previous to the dealer, and the guy who traded it in! So, I cannot find what state it was built in, so I could request if they can move the VIN, so, now I am stuck with (MY DREAM BIKE) that has this problem, which I cannot go to the DMV and ask, because rather than actually help me, they'd rather sieze it, and have it destroyed, or use it as evidence to convict me of some heinous crime, so I sit, wondering if I ever get pullled over, will the cop be reasnable, or will he be trying to prove something.. Right now, I am basically looking for someone who's blown up an engine on a frame with a good VIN so I can get out of this situation! It really sucks, I can't even try to bring it to have a NEW title done, since if they find that other VIN, well, then the questions wil start.. UGH> I hate this crap!!!! I need to make a friend in the DMV so I can actually ask this stuff without fear of just getting screwed. When did our government turn into an entity that is just as likely to hassle someone who's never stolen a thing in their life as they are a meth dealer? I had a buddy say a friend of his had a panhead (no VIN on frame those years) and cops took his bike, and returned it to him in baskets after they took it all apart to see if anything was stolen!!! If I put this much work into a truck, I don't want someone just showing up and taking the whole thing away from me!!

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Good god thats a bad situation. I was reading on a boat forum the other day about a guy who has a really bad ass boat he cant get registered. The title got destroyed in hurricane Katrina and the DMV will not give him another one.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Good god thats a bad situation. I was reading on a boat forum the other day about a guy who has a really bad ass boat he cant get registered. The title got destroyed in hurricane Katrina and the DMV will not give him another one.
That's assenine.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
It turned into a big hush hush operation just so he could get a title, like this guy is talking about. The boat was going to be "sold" to a member in California and theoretically sold back to the owner after the guy gets a title or some nonsense.

Another plan was to find a wrecked boat to rob the vin number off of.

This guy even took in multiple pictures of himself building the boat basically from scratch and they still denied him a title, so he had a bad ass hot rod boat he cant even register and enjoy after all his effort.

Its crap, I feel bad for the OP and his bike problem, it must suck to know you own something but cant prove it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Great cutout Stub. Good work and nice fit !!!

Just going to throw my opinion and suggestion out there. I do know, you don't want to tamper or damage the VIN plate. Including the rivets. Notice the rivets are star type. So not like you have just use regular rivets to reattach it. You know for a fact its not stolen. I'd cut the vin out just like you did the hump. I'd probably put 3 inches around the 3 sides, then up to the firewall. Weld it in just like the hump. Your dashpad is going to cover it. I am aware of someone who did this long ago. They carefully removed the VIN plate with the rivets still in it. Opened up the holes just a hair on the doner cab, and was able to use glue and restick the VIN plate with the rivets glued tight and their original holes without any welding at all. Also keep in mind, and go look for it. Top of the frame rail passenger side under the cab, about where the passenger seat would be, you'll see the full VIN engraved into the frame. I'd put your original VIN as best as you could to make it not noticeable, and in the event you have a legal issue, you still have the frame stamped VIN that matches proving your situation that no malice was intended whatsoever. What are the odds of it ever becoming an issue? I don't think you have any illegal intent at all. I'd go for it, but certainly wouldn't advertise it either.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
BTW, if you're in the rust belt, and I'd do it anyway, I'd clean that bottom of the donor cab very well. Maybe even sand blast it with a cheap shoulder strap carry blaster if that's all you have or can get. Then I'd shoot the bottom with rubberized coating, or maybe even some bed liner material. Just make sure it adhere's to the metal very good. If not, it can still rust under the coating.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85Shortsquare