C20 Upper Control Arm Shaft Studs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I've got some old 6013. Even though its about 8 years old, you think it will work? Say crank the Lincoln to 75? Maybe a little hotter to cut thru the nastiness.
It should be fine. 70xx low hydrogen rod is the one you have to bake in an oven before use to get any moisture out. If it's 1/8" rod go 90 and get good penetration, too low and the rod will stick a lot and drive you crazy.

Edited for 1/8" instead of 1/4"

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Damn HR, that sucks, and the more ya drive it like that the more those holes are going to get worn. I was thinking a sawzall or cut-off wheel. Or torch...

I was gonna, but like bucket says, and I agree, I replace the studs, I have a feeling the frame is wallered out now too, so by the time I put new knurled studs in, they are going to spin anyway. There is nothing wrong with the studs or threads, its just that they spin. So I may as well just weld them solid, they won't spin, and I'll be good as new again. I'm just picky and like **** RIGHT, not halfassed or jerry rigged. In this case, its gonna be OK, and will be much much safer than it is now. I mean for real, how often do you ever have to replace those bolts??? Next to never if ever, so all will good if I can get a good tack weld on the studs.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It should be fine. 70xx low hydrogen rod is the one you have to bake in an oven before use to get any moisture out. If it's 1/8" rod go 90 and get good penetration, too low and the rod will stick a lot and drive you crazy.

Edited for 1/8" instead of 1/4"

Yes, its 1/8 rod 6013. I have a 10 pack of them. 1 rod oughta be enough for both sides. And you think 90amp? I'd rather be to cold than to hot and burn a hole in the frame.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
If you wanted a professional repair like you mentioned why not split off the acorn nuts, remove the studs and try finding some with a slightly bigger diameter shoulder?

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Or grade-8 bolts...do they have to be studs?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I doubt that is possible. The studs have to go inside a whole punched into the frame, then into the sub frame or engine cradle. Very hard to explain, and I can't get pics since the studs go in behind the motor pads and mounts. Trust me, its quite tough to get in there, but with a welding rod, I think I can reach in there.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Your startin to fix stuff like i do, make sure you get hammered drunk before you try ANY of this.

If all that fails just weld the upper control arm mount directly to the frame :grd:
Just kiddin with you dude :Moon:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Your startin to fix stuff like i do, make sure you get hammered drunk before you try ANY of this.

If all that fails just weld the upper control arm mount directly to the frame :grd:
Just kiddin with you dude :Moon:

Nawww, I do **** as right as possible. And welding the studs in, isn't really jerry rigging anything. It would look no differant than OEM, and ajdust and align just like OEM too. Just rather than being knurled stationary studs, it will be welded stationary studs. No problem.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Just keep in mind to tack the studs, weld can cause hardened bolts/studs to lose their temper and become weak. I think the cat's outta the bag when you said the motor mounts and everything else is in the way, you just dont wanna dig that deep!! :lol:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Just keep in mind to tack the studs, weld can cause hardened bolts/studs to lose their temper and become weak. I think the cat's outta the bag when you said the motor mounts and everything else is in the way, you just dont wanna dig that deep!! :lol:

I'll tack it as little as possible. I may want to get those studs out someday. If I ever do a motor swap, I'll have full intent of of giving those studs and frame a good looking over and seeing if I can't fix it to OEM standards. If would be great if its just the studs knurling is rounded off. I feel confident all will be A OK. I just wish I could get pics of it.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
If it turns out it's not the stud's knurls worn off you can smack a couple tacks in the hole in the frame with a mig to give them something to bite.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
If it turns out it's not the stud's knurls worn off you can smack a couple tacks in the hole in the frame with a mig to give them something to bite.

Yep, or maybe see if I can find someone to make me the studs with a tab bigger knurl to it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Get a knurler and do it yourself. :)

Never knew there was such a thing. You know these studs I am reffering to, are just like wheel studs in a rotor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody