C10 LIMITED SLIP VS LOCKER VS SPOOL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BURNOUT

Reaction score
First Name
HAROLD
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hello I am looking to put a posi unit in my c10 short box. I like to do burnouts and donuts. I drive it a lot. Which is better for this? Will a limited slip stay in the whole time during a donut or come out? A friend says to go spool as he has a few in his fords. I have had a locker in another truck and it worked well but would sometimes only be one wheel. I am wanting something that will stay in during donuts and not pop out. Thanks much.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
If you are doing limited daily driving and are mostly just straight line burnouts and donuts then a locker or spool is the way to go. If you daily drive it or want turning traction, then a posi/limited slip is the way to go. I've got a Yukon Grizzly locker in my 14BFF in the K25 because it was cheap and available and I use it mostly for hunting/offroading. If I was daily driving it I would have sprung for a Yukon Duragrip or a Trutrack.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
You say you drive it alot, is it just alot of driving on the weekends/etc for enjoyment? Or is it your main rig? Is it a budget rig or something you're going to keep and build long term?

If it's just a toy that is meant for burnouts and donuts, by all means, put a spool in it. That's cheap and quick. However, at some point you will likely break an axle, just FYI. They don't like going around corners, they'll chip the inside tire all the time. A Detroit locker is another good choice for that purpose, they're very durable but also will unlock when not loaded.

If it's still a daily kinda rig, consider a limited slip. They'll still lock up when needed but will be much nicer to drive otherwise, they'll stay unlocked most of the time. A Detroit TruTrac would be my choice there.

I've got a clutch type limited slip (Yukon Duragrip) in my LS swapped '85. But I went through the whole rearend and upgraded to the 30-spline differential/axles, put a 3.90 gear in it, a 1350 forged yoke and T/A girdle. My truck is a ~425hp roadtrip truck that I plan to autoX/do lots of mtn runs in, so I didn't want a locker. I honestly don't think mine would hold up to nothing but burnouts and donuts but the good thing is that it's rebuildable when it does wear out. But it locks up just fine when I want it to.

Last edited:

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Stock 10 and 12 bolt axles use C clips to retain the axles so that may limited what is available for you (without getting in to C clip eliminators, etc). Be careful not to overestimate the strength of a stock carrier should you choose a drop in locker.

I've got a spool in the rear of my Blazer (strictly a play toy) and it's really noticeable. The spool constantly pushes and binds up regardless of moving slow or fast. My old literal daily driver had a Detroit Locker and it was great, it was almost unnoticeable except when it locked going down the road (it would bang! and shake the truck). The Detroit unlocking / locking was more noticeable with a manual trans.

As far as a limited slip working, by design they work until you overpower it so I'd say one would work better on skinnier than really wide tires.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The fun part about driving something with a spool is the turns. Goosing the throttle a few times around the corner keeps things from binding, lol.

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
Get an air or e-locker. Open diff for daily driving, flip the switch locked axle for fun.

Rob red

Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
M1008
Engine Size
The Detroit unlocking / locking was more noticeable with a manual trans.

How bad is this? I am in the process of swapping a manual into my CUCV K30 and I'm wondering if I will end up hating the Detroit locker.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
I had an aggressive Detroit TruTrac in our daily driver 1995 Suburban and it worked great.
You could hear the inner tire scrubbing when leaving the driveway.
Until it didn't.
But that may have been caused by a slightly bent axle tube putting a weird side load on the thing.

After that one went, I put in a Yukon Duragrip and it works like a champ as well.
Less aggressive than the TruTrac, but just as good.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
How bad is this? I am in the process of swapping a manual into my CUCV K30 and I'm wondering if I will end up hating the Detroit locker.

It wasn't bad. With the clutch in (no power to the rear) and turning I could hear the locker ratcheting the same as you can if you put it on jack stands and spin 1 tire. Occasionally while driving I would get a loud metallic PING and feel the rear shake as the locker locked back up (for instance, after having turned in an intersection and proceeding down the road).

It's noticeable but once you get used to it and understand what's happening (vs breakage) it's no big deal.

josh454

Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Sounds like you need a selectable locker if you really want to do burnouts when doing donuts and want to minimize the onroad drawbacks

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'd probably start by addressing the 305...probably not too many burnouts going to happen at this stage. My 0.02 cents, is a tru-trac and upgraded axles. Not the best in any situation but works really well in almost all situations. Most of the other set-ups are very purpose-built and most aren't good on the street. Other than drag racing, I don't care for spools at all, literally going back 100 years in tech to a live-axle and when it lets go, you are sideways in a split-second.

You must be registered for see images attach

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
swapping a manual into my CUCV K30
Swapping in an SM465 or NV45/5500 will make you think you have a 454 in that D30. Those ole Detroits love a third pedal.

HS

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Horrible! I took mine out ad gave it away.

BURNOUT

Reaction score
First Name
HAROLD
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks for all of the info. Now which one to buy?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag