Buying engine crane/hoist

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
nope. I used it in the dirt too.

You must be registered for see images attach

my only complaint was not having an engine leveler, which autozone has for $40 I found out just now, thanks to you rlink, wished I'd known sooner... anyways...

lifting a motor and trans and not having one sucks, you want the trans to dip down and go in once it's in the air, but then you want the motor to come down to level like to get it in place and slide the trans back. You can do it without but man if you got the cash get one!!!!!!

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
nope. I used it in the dirt too.

my only complaint was not having an engine leveler, which autozone has for $40 I found out just now, thanks to you rlink, wished I'd known sooner... anyways...

lifting a motor and trans and not having one sucks, you want the trans to dip down and go in once it's in the air, but then you want the motor to come down to level like to get it in place and slide the trans back. You can do it without but man if you got the cash get one!!!!!!

Is it hard to roll around in like mud, gravel, etc? Whatever I get needs to be able roll easy in those conditions.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Just about any chain will work Dave provided its the right size for the hook. I think its 5/16's or 3/8's inch chain. Just buy it by the foot at Lowes or Homedepot. I'd probably get a 5 footer. That will give you a little extra. Also make sure the chain links are big enough to put your bolts thru if you are not using a leveler device as Skysurfer suggested.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Just about any chain will work Dave provided its the right size for the hook. I think its 5/16's or 3/8's inch chain. Just buy it by the foot at Lowes or Homedepot. I'd probably get a 5 footer. That will give you a little extra. Also make sure the chain links are big enough to put your bolts thru if you are not using a leveler device as Skysurfer suggested.

What bolts do I need and what length?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I use whatever I have handy Dave. Usually 3/8 thread bolt with a 9/16 wrench head on it. If you have some Grade 5 or 8 bolts is best. I will usually use the accesory bolt holes in the head to lift engine and trans combo. Sometimes staggard intake manifold bolt holes. Meaning pull the intake maifold bolts at opposite corners then use a bit longer bolts to run thru the chain. I do prefer using the head accessory holes though since running the bolts that directon will have more holding power, but sometimes thats a real PITA to get the back side at the firewall.

Jaymez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
The easiest way to pull a motor is to use a plate sold in most parts stores that bolts to the intake in place of the carb.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

Attachments

• hoistplate.jpg
    hoistplate.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

yeah, that's it. You found it before I got my link and pic posted. Also a little cheaper and no shipping than Amazon. Same brand too. :waytogo:

For a motor only, those are OK, but I don't like using those to lift a motor trans combo. For one, just seems to be alot of weight for 4 smaller bolts in a smaller concentrated area, but the biggestd reason it, you are lifting the center and no way to tilt, where are a chain front to back of the engine, you can gain tilt by just moving your hook to a chain link closer to the front of the block.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I would be worried about using one of those with an aluminum intake too. I would just stick with the leveler that bolts to the heads.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
The easiest way to pull a motor is to use a plate sold in most parts stores that bolts to the intake in place of the carb.

:word:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
When doing a motor and trans together, though, you'd be better off attached the chain to all four corners of the motor with a motor leveler to help with tilting as you pull them out especially if you still have the front clip on.

Jaymez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
FWIW, when we put the motor and trans in my S10, the nose was removed and we had one chain going across the top of the motor from the front of one head to the back of the other head.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
anything is hard to roll and move in dirt and rocks, if the ground is hard it's not bad, but if it's soft it's a PITA. Thus why I had the 2x6 boardwalk/plank made to sit the hoist on and move it. I usually move the vehicle out from under the motor. That's whay dad's truck is back so far.

I would agree on worrying about the plate, my old man don't trust them either. Too easy to strip bolts in alum. esp when holding something heavy and trusting them. A load leveler is the only way to go. A chain works perfect for engine only, used it many times you can see in the pics that's what we used.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jingle1