Buying DA Sander or Orbital Sander

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Dave that is good you have the pressure turned down, I honestly think that the compressor you have is more suited for airing tires up and the occational air tool but not for everyday use.

450 ft lbs is still quite a bit of torque, I have close to $2,000 in all of my guns
1/4" air Ratchet (Matco)
3/8" Air ratchet (Matco)
1/4" Impact (Matco)
3/8" Impact (Matco) My favorite By far and most used
1/2" Impact (Matco) Power house
3/4" Impact (Matco) Sold it No need for it when you have the good 1/2"
45* angle grinder (Ingersolrand)
90* angle grinder (Ingersol rand)
0* Angle Grinder (ingersolrand)
Long barrel air hammer (Ingersolrand) A must for front end work works awsome on rivots and ball joints
Grease gun (Ingersolrand) lol I know only lazy people use air powered grease guns lol
I think thats about all the air tools I have it might be a touch more then 2,000 for all of them hell its been a few years

Yea, I dont use it everyday. I got for impact wrench and inflating tires.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Another thing to keep in mind is that your tools should work for YOU when doing bodywork. So the better your tools are the easier the job will be and therefore the better job it'll turn out to be. It's hard to do well with bodywork if you've got subpar tools to work with.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
I didn't read this whole thread, but you're best bet is to get you a big compressor. I have a 33 gallon one that I use for small junk, but I have a huge upright one in the corner that feeds big stuff.

A good DA is a must for bodywork.

You also want to have a dual stage pump the single stage are ok but a dual stage is a must for everyday professional use

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
So a electric orbital sander wont work then?

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I would imagine it would work about as well as an electric impact which IMO isnt worth ****

I had good craftsman industrial 1/2 in electric impact wrench that kicked ass before someone stole it.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
An orbital sander is something I would consider more for finer finishing work of body filler, not really a paint stripper like a DA would be.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
:word:

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One

What u mean by that exactly?

Since you can use a angle grinder for sanding frames etc. Whats wrong with using one for paint stripping?

Last edited:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
An angle grinder will have a tendancy to leave marks on the metal and stuff that will create more work for you when you go back to work you metal and smooth it out. I made this mistake when I first started to strip the paint on my truck. As stated, either use a DA sander or a stripper attachment for your drill (can be bought at an auto parts store) to strip the paint. Once you start using body filler to smooth out the imperfections in your metal go to the orbital sander. Start off with a course grit, move up to 120 grit or so but then move up 200 or 300 grit.

Make sense?

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
An angle grinder will have a tendancy to leave marks on the metal and stuff that will create more work for you when you go back to work you metal and smooth it out. I made this mistake when I first started to strip the paint on my truck. As stated, either use a DA sander or a stripper attachment for your drill (can be bought at an auto parts store) to strip the paint. Once you start using body filler to smooth out the imperfections in your metal go to the orbital sander. Start off with a course grit, move up to 120 grit or so but then move up 200 or 300 grit.

Make sense?

The body work I have doesnt need any body filler the paint is cracking. Someone painted over the OEM colors with light brown and white. The OEM color is blue and white.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Sounds like they used too much hardener or they painted enamel over lacquer, a big no-no. You may just need to sand off what they painted on instead of going all the way down to the metal. Your orbital may be good for this, with 150 grit aluminum oxide paper.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I never liked orbital. As everyone said they are *******. Same goes for cheap DA's I had one from lowes a devilbiss and it would not put out any kind or rpms. I switched to my craftsman and it'll tear it up.

You can't use an electric grinder with sanding disc for body work it's just too rough, and is flat and as mentioned leaves marks or notches in the paint. That's why a DA is dual action it goes up and down and in circles.

small tank compressor for body work, da that is, completely useless. Been there done that, same compressor you had, no way.

DON'T bother!!!!!!!!

You'll sand for 5 minutes wait for 10-20, sand for 5 minutes back and forth. The compressor will run hot and get worse and worse.

The big craftsman compressor I got works good but it too cannot sand continuously, it can sand for 15-20 minutes or more and sand while it's running and not drop off pressure, but if you run it for like 10 minutes with the compressor on the psi will drop and it'll suck. I need to find the specs on it.

small compressor on a cut off tool, same way,

impact, not bad, but if you have to impact alot, it sucks, wait on it to build up.

tires, ok,

air file, not bad

paint gun, the small one works alright.

The big one works great on them all.

Basically you NEED the BIGGEST TANK, cfm rating, motor size, I mean just everything the biggest you can afford.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Sounds like they used too much hardener or they painted enamel over lacquer, a big no-no. You may just need to sand off what they painted on instead of going all the way down to the metal. Your orbital may be good for this, with 150 grit aluminum oxide paper.

Or emmoy cloth too? Can I use angle grinder to take off the 2nd layer of paint?

Last edited:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
I'm going to suggest leaving the angle grinder in your tool chest for any of the body work or painting unless you need to to cut out some panels that have cancer!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamberttt