Bumper & Frame Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
So basically you gave up and did a frame replacement. If that is what this is going to take then I am just going to part this thing out. Trying to find a frame where I will be next to impossible.

I still have it but I am not going to do a frame off build with a bent frame!

But in that thread there is some info on the frame measurements

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I still have it but I am not going to do a frame off build with a bent frame!

But in that thread there is some info on the frame measurements

Yeah I saw the frame measurements and oddly from the center of the crossmember to the inside of the frame rails the left side is 14" but the other side is just over a hair which I'm not concerned about.

If I measure from the bottom of the rad support out to the end of the frame horns there is almost 1" difference.

If someone would be able to provide that measurement that would be awesome.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Yeah I saw the frame measurements and oddly from the center of the crossmember to the inside of the frame rails the left side is 14" but the other side is just over a hair which I'm not concerned about.

If I measure from the bottom of the rad support out to the end of the frame horns there is almost 1" difference.

If someone would be able to provide that measurement that would be awesome.

So your saying that one frame horn is 1" shorter then the other? How is the rest of the body sitting on the frame? If you measure the rear frame ends are they symmetrical?

If the frame is fine at the back but 1" short at the front then one side needs to be crumpled or stretched to get that extra 1"

So on a flat concrete pad you can use a plumb bob and mark the locations of the frame points onto the concrete. Then also measure the height from the concrete to the frame, both top and bottom of rails.

Also you need to use large jack stands under the frame not the suspension. So set your jack stands to the same height and locate them onto the same spot of the frame from side to side and at the same height.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So your saying that one frame horn is 1" shorter then the other? How is the rest of the body sitting on the frame? If you measure the rear frame ends are they symmetrical?

If the frame is fine at the back but 1" short at the front then one side needs to be crumpled or stretched to get that extra 1"

So on a flat concrete pad you can use a plumb bob and mark the locations of the frame points onto the concrete. Then also measure the height from the concrete to the frame, both top and bottom of rails.

Also you need to use large jack stands under the frame not the suspension. So set your jack stands to the same height and locate them onto the same spot of the frame from side to side and at the same height.

I don't have the luxury of flat spots and jackstands and plumb bob unfortunately.

But I just went out and measure from rear cross member to end of the frame and on the left side I get 11 1/2 and on the right I get 11 3/4

So even at the back end I am out 1/4 of an inch.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I don't have the luxury of flat spots and jackstands and plumb bob unfortunately.

But I just went out and measure from rear cross member to end of the frame and on the left side I get 11 1/2 and on the right I get 11 3/4

So even at the back end I am out 1/4 of an inch.

Are you measuring from the edge of the metal or from a location hole in the frame?

Its completely reasonable that the edges do not measure up right. But if you use the locating holes in the frame you will know for sure. Is the rear bumper bent?

The only way to find out what's going on is to do the flat concrete thing or take it to an experienced frame straightening shop. :sorry:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Or just live with it.

Have you thought about buying another truck that has a good frame and combining all your good parts from both to make 1 good truck?

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Or just live with it.

Have you thought about buying another truck that has a good frame and combining all your good parts from both to make 1 good truck?

I have put out feelers for shops to put it on a jig but I have yet to hear anything :(

I measure from back edge of cross member to end of the frame edge as I have no bumper right now on the back.

Tomorrow I will measure center to center of the tires in both sides and see if there is a difference. If there isn't I might just section the short frame horn to fix it.

I simply do not have the funds to buy another truck.

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Just asking for my own curiosity. Did you drop all the weight on those springs before you tightened the bolts?

Sent from an old rotary telephone.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I have put out feelers for shops to put it on a jig but I have yet to hear anything :(

I measure from back edge of cross member to end of the frame edge as I have no bumper right now on the back.

Tomorrow I will measure center to center of the tires in both sides and see if there is a difference. If there isn't I might just section the short frame horn to fix it.

I simply do not have the funds to buy another truck.

Well I would just put some large washers behind the bumper to make it straight then! And just drive it:)

You really have to measure in an X and measure from a flat surface. Then compare to see where you are. Measuring from a cross member to the edge doesn't really tell you anything.

FYI when measuring in an X say one side says 100" and the other says 100" and 1/2" then you would be 1/4" pushed sideways toward the side of the longer measurement. To get it square both sides should read 100 1/4"

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Well I would just put some large washers behind the bumper to make it straight then! And just drive it:)

You really have to measure in an X and measure from a flat surface. Then compare to see where you are. Measuring from a cross member to the edge doesn't really tell you anything.

FYI when measuring in an X say one side says 100" and the other says 100" and 1/2" then you would be 1/4" pushed sideways toward the side of the longer measurement. To get it square both sides should read 100 1/4"

I was given this advice and it was great advice and something I can very easily do!

To check the "square" of the frame. Find 4 holes, two in the front and two in the back in the frame. Make sure they are mates. Same on drivers side and passenger side. Take some fishing line and sinkers. drop lines from those 4 holes. Making sure that the line leaves the holes at the same point side to side. Then measure Right front to left back, and left front to right back. That will tell you if the frame is square.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
That will work but you still should have the frame level and not bound up by the suspension or weight of the vehicle pushing and binding the suspension.

I guess my question to you would be: If it turns out, its not square, what are you going to do about it?

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Just asking for my own curiosity. Did you drop all the weight on those springs before you tightened the bolts?

Sent from an old rotary telephone.

Yesir that is definitely one thing I know to do.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
That will work but you still should have the frame level and not bound up by the suspension or weight of the vehicle pushing and binding the suspension.

I guess my question to you would be: If it turns out, its not square, what are you going to do about it?

Well obviously nothing lol. I am just curious why none of this **** lines up. And I also wonder if this has to do with the weird steering feedback I get when turning tight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76