Frame welded, dangerous?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roundeye80

Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums here - hopefully I am posting in the right section. I'm in the process of restoring a 1980 K20 and I have it stripped down to a rolling chassis. I noticed that the frame appears to be welded and plated under where the bed sits just before the front leaf spring hanger. Not sure if a shop did this or not but does anyone know if this is safe to leave? From what I understand welding a truck frame isn't the best idea but maybe I'm misinformed. Looks pretty sketchy either way...

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Have owned trucks that broke in that area. Usually starts in the flange near that top hole. The repair appears decent but at some point, it will crack around the repair. If this truck is going to see a lot of use a replacement frame would be a good idea. Obviously that frame has been used up and is very rusty.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Obviously if someone did a bad job then there is a chance the repair could fail. But if whoever repaired it actually knew how to weld and did it right, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with welding a frame, especially with a patch plate and not just simply booger welding over a crack. If you want a showroom quality restoration then go ahead and replace the frame. If you just want a truck you can drive, go ahead and run it and don't think twice about it. Heck, even if it does fail in the future, just keep an eye on it and fix it again the right way next time. Personally I think you're worrying too much. That welded section can't be any weaker than the rest of the 40+ year old crusty frame, don't jump the truck anytime soon. I own a 15 year old truck that looks WAYYY worse than that and I'm not worried about it

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
People , cut weld and gusset truck frames daily. Whether its for a shorter wheelbase for wheeling, a longer wheelbase for something custom, or shortening a longbed into a shortbed. Old school was weld a diamond shape gusset over the repaired area. Not sure what current best gusset arrangement is,but if the surrounding metal is still structurally sound you will not have a problem.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The shape of the plate isn't the best, but truck frames get plated like that all the time. I'd run it, no question about it.

GTX63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
That weld is fine.
If you are hauling rock for a living and bouncing down a cratered, washboard road everyday on 37s, you are the exception. Before that frame gives out you will likely have other suspension issues first.
If you are just driving the truck like a normal human being, paint it black and it never happened.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Roundeye- you stated restoration? If you are putting a lot of money into this truck and expect to have some resale value, I'd change the frame.

As others have said, it'll be fine for a driver and will holdup and last a long time, but the pool of buyers gets very small for modified factory frames if you ever have to sell.

Buck69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
D30 CUCV
Engine Size
6.2 (removed)
That is not the correct way to weld a frame. It would not pass a safety inspection in this part of the world.
With consideration of frame deterioration in the rest of the photo, I would be looking for another frame if serious about your restoration.

roundeye80

Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
It seems there are mixed opinions on this. For the record, I am not going for showroom quality on this project, I just want to remove all the rust and get it back on the road with new parts and fresh paint. I've reached out to a local shop for their thoughts too, I'm just waiting for them to contact me. I appreciate everyone's responses, I got more than I expected to.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
People shorten long beds a lot and haveno issues. I'd clean it up, see how it looks around the weld and if it is clean prime and paint over it. It could outlast the rest of the frame.
If you wanted a little more support you could also put a plate on the inside.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
86sunnyguy