Build thread 5.3 W/6L80e in a 1986

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houston Ben

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I received a text form the person who tuned my PCM and he stated eh did the following:

Alright well to answer your questions, I disabled vats, disabled starter fault checks, changed the rev limiter to 6800, disabled flex fuel, increased power enrichment ramp in, took out power enrichment delay, disabled cat over temp, disabled displacement on demand, decreased IAT and ECT spark advance correction, maxed out all torque vs. rpm tables, turned off brake torque limit, disabled tip in ETC limit, disabled all traction control settings, disabled catalyst test, switched fuel pump control module equipped" to "no", and turned off all the speed limiters.

I asked him about the rear O2 sensors and he stated he did not delete them and that it would have no effect on how the engine would run.

How does this look to all who have done this?

AJII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
He did all the basics, not really a 'tune'. But the truck should run and drive just fine with what he did.

And he's right, rear 02s will not make a difference at all in the running.

Houston Ben

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Cool, thanks AJ, I will try to look at it more today.

Houston Ben

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Well, I didn't have time to double check all the wiring yet but I did hook up a fuel pressure gauge and I am getting around 55 psi to the rails and the intake is sucking air.

It starts strong then dies....WTF!!! I will for sure be able to play with it this weekend and see if I can find out anything.

Houston Ben

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I found someone who let me borrow a code reader that I will be trying out tonight!!

Houston Ben

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Ok, I hooked up the code reader and got 10 codes as listed:
P0036 Heater control circuit bank 1 sensor2
P0056 Heater control circuit bank 2 sensor 2
P0443 EVAP emission system purge control valve circuit
P0449 EVAP emission system vent valve solenoid circuit
P0452 EVAP emission system pressure sensor / switch low
P0463 Fuel level sensor A circuit high
P0480 Fan 2 control circuit
P0481 Fan 2 control circuit
P0690 ECM / PCM power relay sense circuit high
U01090 Lost communication with fuel pump control module

I erased all but 5 would not erase
P0443, P0449, P0452, P0463, U0109
I erased again and only 2 showed but forgot to write down which ones. I attempted to start engine and it ran for a few seconds but tripped codes again and died. Ran code scan and came back with 12 codes, all the same except for
P0054 H02S heater resistance bank 1 sensor 2
P0060 H02S Heater resistance bank 2 sensor 2
I deleted codes again and started, it wanted to run but codes tripped it again.

Does anyone know what these codes mean?? What can I do for these???? PLEASE HELP!!!

Houston Ben

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Ok, I hooked up the code reader and got 10 codes as listed:

P0690 ECM / PCM power relay sense circuit high

I erased all but 5 would not erase
P0443, P0449, P0452, P0463, U0109
I erased again and only 2 showed but forgot to write down which ones. I attempted to start engine and it ran for a few seconds but tripped codes again and died. Ran code scan and came back with 12 codes, all the same except for
P0054 H02S heater resistance bank 1 sensor 2
P0060 H02S Heater resistance bank 2 sensor 2
I deleted codes again and started, it wanted to run but codes tripped it again.

Does anyone know what these codes mean?? What can I do for these???? PLEASE HELP!!!

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Ok I imagine the first thing to look at would be that U01090, if it is losing communication with the fuel pump control then that could be your issue with dying. The first two codes are likely related to your O2 sensors. They have integral heaters, and if they are just dangling in open air then they are likely not working correctly. As I said before, focus on trying to get all the emissions equipment set up correctly, this is not a 1985 small block that you can just pull stuff off of. You may also want to investigate the P0690 code as well, it sounds like you may have a voltage problem there.

SO. With all that in mind, I would take a BIIIGGG step back and go back through your wiring harness, make sure everything is connected correctly, make sure there are no cut/burned/crimped wires, check ALL of your grounds (making sure ALL of the original grounds are hooked up as they would have been in the donor truck), and finally get a pipe hooked up for those O2s.

Note: Now that I think about it bank 1 sensor 2 sounds like the post-cat sensor that was supposed to be deleted from the computer, would I be wrong to think that maybe they forgot to remove the O2 heater from the computer as well?

All in all if it were ME I would get the computer flashed back to stock then hook everything up as it was in the donor, then work backwards again from a known good point (ie STOCK), I think you just have too many variables in play right now!

Houston Ben

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Thanks da-raabi, I was planning on going through all the wiring this weekend. I was just excited to use the code reader and was hoping it would cure the problem.... Guess I will have to cut the old exhaust and install the o2 sensors correctly somehow. Do I need to buy a nut or something like that and have it welded to the pipe?

Once I do everything I can I was planning on taking it back to the guy who flashed the computer and see what he says.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
I believe a correctly sized nut will work, but just be sure the sensor is in the exhaust stream the correct amount, again thats part of it. An easier solution might be to go cut that section of exhaust out of an existing truck, maybe in a junk yard or something, just to be sure it is correct. It may help.

Houston Ben

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I got to look over my harness tonight and I can't find anything wrong. For the Grounds I have:

One from the battery and the harness to the passenger head
You must be registered for see images attach

One from the rear driver head

and one on the block on the drivers side with two ground wires to it

I got to looking at my power source. For the computer, harness, vehicle, etc. I have one wire from the battery connected to this place located on fire wall on the drivers side, could this cluster cause some of the codes?

Yes I know it looks like crap!

Thanks for any ideas and input.

Haro504

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Look on ebay for a no weld o2 bung. It's a stainless band with a bung welded onto it. You just drill a hole in the pipe and clamp it on. They come in different sizes. They are a little pricey at 40 bucks though.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Hmm didnt know they made those 02 bungs, not a bad idea.

That power bus looks kinda nasty, I'd pull it apart and clean it up, then check the resistance through it, if it has more than a few ohms then you may be getting too much voltage drop through it. Normally these trucks would (I believe) have a direct power source from the battery to the fuse box without something like that in between, so you may be getting a voltage drop there.

Houston Ben

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Ok, I will run a separate wire to the harness and see how that goes, thanks for the tip!

Houston Ben

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
d_raabi, THANKS!! You cleared up the P0690 ECM / PCM power relay sense circuit high code. So now I only have the following codes

I can clear all but two of the emission ones and try to start it and it runs for a bit longer now and I can rev it some but then dies. So my next plan of attack is o go to a junk yard and get the exhaust cut off a truck where the o2's go and to also take the PCM back to the tuner and have him take the rest of the crap off there. One question, will the U0109 one make my truck quit running?

Thanks

ben

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad