Build thread 5.3 W/6L80e in a 1986

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houston Ben

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Sorry I havn't been here in a while, been busy......but not with the truck :-( How will I know if the driveshaft angle is wrong? I don't know much about that. I sent my harness off and it will be back in 4-6 weeks so I got time to clean the engine up a little and possibly get the exhaust done. I will also be able to get the gas tank and stuff hooked up too but not till I get back from vaca.... I will keep yall posted.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Sorry I havn't been here in a while, been busy......but not with the truck :-( How will I know if the driveshaft angle is wrong? I don't know much about that. I sent my harness off and it will be back in 4-6 weeks so I got time to clean the engine up a little and possibly get the exhaust done. I will also be able to get the gas tank and stuff hooked up too but not till I get back from vaca.... I will keep yall posted.

You can use a cheap angle guage from Harbor Freight or similar. Measure on the flat part of the rear axle flange, and then somewhere flat on the transmission. They should both be at the same numeric angle (axle will usually be angled up 3-4*, trans angled down 3-4*).

Houston Ben

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Finally got around to getting the gas tank out. Once I stopped being a b!t@h it came out pretty easy.

You must be registered for see images attach

Still waiting for my harness to come back :-(

travisr1988

Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado
Engine Size
What are you using for a fuel pump? Looks like an in-tank unit but for what vehicle?

tanz45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I would use a regular style sending using and a walbro inline 255 lph.

You could modify to use a intank walbro 255, but they can and will puke if you run them while low on fuel.

AJII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
87 tank. 87 sending units. late model pump.

dont use an inline pump.

Houston Ben

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
HI all,
The pump is NAPP74167 from NAPA, the equivalent of the ACDelco EP-381 and the sending unit is an 87 sending unit and gas tank. Quick question for those who have done this. I took out the 86 gas tank and the top of the sending unit only had one wire going to it for hot (drivers side). What do I need to do to use the new sending unit and hook it up? it has 3 wires, one ground and the other 2 are in a clip. Any help would be appreciated.

http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww355/BC242/gastank1.jpg

http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww355/BC242/gastank2.jpeg

Thanks,

Ben

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
HI all,
The pump is NAPP74167 from NAPA, the equivalent of the ACDelco EP-381 and the sending unit is an 87 sending unit and gas tank. Quick question for those who have done this. I took out the 86 gas tank and the top of the sending unit only had one wire going to it for hot (drivers side). What do I need to do to use the new sending unit and hook it up? it has 3 wires, one ground and the other 2 are in a clip. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben

That wire on the old sender actually isn't a hot, it's the fuel level sender wire.

Are you planning on running a single tank? If so, the wiring is pretty easy.

You should have a tan or gray wire (12V feed) and a pink/white or pink/black wire (fuel level). Your ECM fuel pump 12V signal should trigger a relay to turn on the pump. The 12V side of that relay should go to the tan or gray wire.

It gets a little more complicated if you are running dual tanks.

Houston Ben

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Yup, single tank on drivers side, guess I just gotta find the 12v feed.

Feeling a little frustrated right now, just installed the shift link and it feels really loose and I can't drop it down past what would be drive (not that I really need it to but thought of getting shift paddles later on. It feels way to easy to pull the shift handle down, not like it did on the th350, anyone have any thought on this?

Houston Ben

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Quick question, do I have to have my engine oil cooled by a radiator? Can I go without it?

AJII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
no, you dont need an oil cooler.

Houston Ben

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Thanks for the reply AJ, so I don't need the engine oil cooler lines and it won't mess my engine up correct? Do I need the tranny cooler lines? Sorry if these are stupid questions, I don't mind wrenching just don't know everything a out this.

Also, if I don't need the lines, where can I find a blank for where the lines go into the engine?

Thanks again!!

Houston Ben

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Ok, so the guy who took out my old engine didn't mark what wires went where so I am in need of some help.

The wires are all fed into this cluster which I can take apart but wanted to see if anyone could tell me what wire is for what.

I believe the above is my AC wire (has a green wire) as it runs back to the AC

the above is the first cluster I come to

The above is a close up of the plug on the right side of the pic just above this one.

Then this one, don't know what it is for

Above is the last pic I have, it looks like a few power wires but I am not sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ben

AJII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks for the reply AJ, so I don't need the engine oil cooler lines and it won't mess my engine up correct? Do I need the tranny cooler lines? Sorry if these are stupid questions, I don't mind wrenching just don't know everything a out this.

Also, if I don't need the lines, where can I find a blank for where the lines go into the engine?

Thanks again!!

Unless the gen iv is different that gen iii, the oil cooler bolts on, and then you just get a blockoff. most engines dont have oil coolers, so blockoffs are plentiful.

you have to have a trans cooler. whether its in the radiator or an auxiliary cooler, although i suggest the aux cooler.

Houston Ben

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Thanks AJ

Few more questions for yall,

The plastic piece behind the intake, how do I take it off? Also, the hose that comes out of it, do I just pull it out or is there a trick?

Is the hose needed for the nipple on the right a 1/2"?? the other is a 3/4" and the nipple needing the heater hose is smaller than the 3/4 one.

The hose with the electric tape on it plugs into the air intake, do I need this or can I plug it somehow??

Thanks for any and all help,

Ben

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
86sunnyguy