Brake light issue....finally........SOLVED!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
So I finally figured out my brake light issue after hours of searching, tons of inquiries and a shitload of google searching.

i finally broke down this afternoon and tore into the tilt column of my truck. The p.o. did a stering column swap on my truck to add tilt (probably one of the better mods he did, but obviously he hacked the process as well). It turns out the turn signal switch mechanism has a bad connection. The brake lights work great until the turn signal stalk is pressed down to indicate a LEFT turn. When the turn has been completed, the turn signal stalk has a problem returning to the neutral (off) position. Because of this...the turn signal circuit interrupts the brake light circuit, causing the left brake light to malfunction and not illuminate. For the time being, I have to manually reset the turn signal lever to the neutral position to get both brake lights to work as they should.

I also discovered when I removed the plastic cover on the side of the turn signal circuit that the high beam braket was disconnected as well rendering it inoperable. I can manually press the metal high beam circuit rod and illuminate the high beams, but the plastic cover that links to the rod is broken.

How difficult is it to source the plastic cover that connects to the high beam switch rod? Does anyone have a gm part number? Better yet...does anyone know what this part is called?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Good deal in finding the issue that parts is most often the hardest part the repair is usually the easy part.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
What a pita...well at least now I know that my wiring from circuit to circuit is good, the grounds are good, the sockets, bulbs etc.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
What a pita...well at least now I know that my wiring from circuit to circuit is good, the grounds are good, the sockets, bulbs etc.
These tilt column can be a bitch to. I had mine apart to llocktite the 3 bolts inside that loosen up. Even with the right tools it still isn't fun but I'm not giving up my tilt column. Lol

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Did you start a thread about this problem Steve? I'll take a look and see what I find. We love to hear updates and what fixed what, but for the purpose to an end of a story, I want to merge this thread with that original thread? Or was it part of your build thread? If so, I can separate that portion of your build thread and make it it's own brake light diagnostics thread in the right category.

Glad you got it figured out. What a bitch, but now we all know and we just want it put together properly to help others. Good Job !!! :waytogo:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Looking at your postings, I'm not finding where you brought this problem up and I don't see that you have a build thread. That could be due to the software change, all I can see is what you've posted since the software change. If you could help me find your original thread that would be great. Then I can clean all this ******** talk up and make a good tech thread of it.

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
I had a similar issue where the brake lights went inop and I had a tech take a look at it when he was replacing the rear brakes/drums etc. He said it was the harness he was right. It was a pita but there is a good right up by 89suburban if i remember correctly. Makes it fairly straightforward but you will hit a wall or 2 trying to get it back together.

Go to rock auto; i think i know the pieces that you are referring to it is sold as part of a kit. Wasn't too much money and comes with the little cover too if i remember correctly. I bought a spare column for the highbeam rod and I'm sure there are hundreds laying around in peoples stock piles..

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Looking at your postings, I'm not finding where you brought this problem up and I don't see that you have a build thread. That could be due to the software change, all I can see is what you've posted since the software change. If you could help me find your original thread that would be great. Then I can clean all this ******** talk up and make a good tech thread of it.
I started the problem thread before the software change. It was an ongoing electrical issue that had several people involved in troubleshooting/brainstorming.

As far as my build thread...it too was prior to the dreaded software change.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
I had a similar issue where the brake lights went inop and I had a tech take a look at it when he was replacing the rear brakes/drums etc. He said it was the harness he was right. It was a pita but there is a good right up by 89suburban if i remember correctly. Makes it fairly straightforward but you will hit a wall or 2 trying to get it back together.

Go to rock auto; i think i know the pieces that you are referring to it is sold as part of a kit. Wasn't too much money and comes with the little cover too if i remember correctly. I bought a spare column for the highbeam rod and I'm sure there are hundreds laying around in peoples stock

I only discovered the true problem after troubleshooting everything else first. My last ditch effort found the culprit. Damn p.o. did such an electrical hack job.....I had to trace every circuit in my build. With this issue, I was only made aware of a non functional brake light by a leo.....luckily I was only given a warning. Who knows how long it has been doing this.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Thanks Steve for posting this story, and happy ending. One of those things to file in the back of the mind when issues arrive.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Thanks Steve for posting this story, and happy ending. One of those things to file in the back of the mind when issues arrive.

No problem. Chasing electrical issues gremilns can be frustrating. ...trust me...I know that by now. The p.o. did a hack job electrially on this truck. It literally caught on fire twice during the rebuild. There were 4 hot leads up under the dash that were discovered just dangling. Two of them were discovered during the first month during test drives at night (since it was cooler).

On my next build....all of the electrical circuits are going to be checked wire by wire FIRST!

And now....I always carry an on board fire extinguisher. ..lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevbak88