Blinkers dont work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
no flashers.

I'd certainly check the flasher bulb(s) first. Sometimes 1 operates both turn signals and flashers, sometimes they each have their own. All depends on how the vehicle is wired. I'm a bit more familiar with the later model multi function switch models. Yours is not a MFS truck. MFS is 84 and later.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
I'd certainly check to make sure the flasher relay on the fuse block is operating correctly. If it is, then check for 12v on the block.

Have you checked for any blown fuses yet?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'd certainly check to make sure the flasher relay on the fuse block is operating correctly. If it is, then check for 12v on the block.

Have you checked for any blown fuses yet?

Yup, that's what I'm talking about. Start with the easiest and cheapest. If that's all good, then I'd suspect the switch in the column.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Anyone else confused by this exchange?

Terry asks a two part question:

1: Do the brake lights work? And 2: Is there a difference between front blinkers and rear blinkers? The rear blinkers and brake lights work on the same wires as I mentioned before. That will help diagnose if it is a wiring problem after the blinker switch.

The kid answers:

The switch moves but nothing happens. And the rears work fine but the fronts also turn on.

He seems to answer only one question. What does he mean by "the rears work fine but the fronts also turn on"

The front and rear what's? Maybe he's installed a set of those new "front end brake lights". O'Reilly's is selling them as a package deal with the blinker fluid - buy a set, and you get 50% off a gallon of BF.

This was the problem was originally described:

My blinkers don't work but every time the brakes are applied the lights come on?

That is SOP. When the brakes are applied, the brake & rear blinker lamps should light up - because they are one in the same bulb. The brake lights are illuminated by default on both sides. They are only overridden when the hazard flashers or on the side that a directional signal is activated. But I'm preaching to the choir here - we all know that.

The only thing I can think of that he means is - that when the brake switch closes - not only do the common filaments for the brake/flashing lamps in the rear assemblies light up, but the directional filaments in the front parking light assemblies do so as well.

The power supplies from the brake light switch and the pulsed power from the two flashers (hazards and directionals) are well protected - by being inside the cab - and are kept isolated from each other up to and through the MFS. I don't mean to be insolent Mr. HRPC, but I checked the parts lists and wiring diagrams, and a rudimentary MFS was in use in 1980. It was just a directional switch really, but it did also control the function of the hazard lights, brake lights directionals and horn:

You must be registered for see images attach

Anyway, it seems that there is a cross-feed situation somewhere between the two circuits - but on the load side of the switch. It would be a stretch to imagine it existing on the line side because of the protected in-cab conditions or that the switch itself had failed. I know they do fail, but usually not in such a manner that it would allow the brake light power lead to come in contact with the directional circuit.

It's probably time to break out the Fluke meter and start ringing out the cable run from the rear rear lighting assemblies to the firewall transit block. I'm going with something simple that will jump right out at him - like the harness is pinched or melted by the exhaust system.

But, I have been wrong before - I think it was back in 1994-5.

Last edited:

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
The brake light power goes thru the turn signal switch before going back to the tail lights. That is so when you have the brakes applied and the turn signal on it will blink. The turn signal switch is inside the column under the steering wheel. There is a good write up on here from 89 Suburban with pictures on column dis-assembly.

Try checking wiring before getting into that but its not that hard. I borrowed a steering wheel puller and lock ring tool from an auto parts store to do mine.
I will have to do that.

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
Do the brake lights work? Is there a difference between front blinkers and rear blinkers? The rear blinkers and brake lights work on the same wires as I mentioned before. That will help diagnose if it is a wiring problem after the blinker switch.
The brake lights work.and OK I will check it out.

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate

SkinnyG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
G
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
350/TH350
I lose my signal lights when the prolific rust stops the tail light ground from connecting. I usually have to pull the taillight housing off and much with it by the side of the road. I really should make a better ground.....

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
I lose my signal lights when the prolific rust stops the tail light ground from connecting. I usually have to pull the taillight housing off and much with it by the side of the road. I really should make a better ground.....
with this truck rust could be very likely.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Check the fuse. Do the reverse lights work? They appear to be on the same circuit. Then try a new flasher relay. After that the power is fed to the plug on the column for the turn signal switch by purple wire. Do yourself a favor od go get a haynes manual at the parts store. It's not the best manual out there but it will be very helpful. They have basic wiring diagrams in them.

boostdtalon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Josiah
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-20
Engine Size
5.7L

I ran a ground to my frame after a cop let me know my taillight didn't work at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
Ill have to check it all out.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I've gone through this troubleshooting before, so I have some simple checks.

- Check to make sure the black instrument panel ground wire is connected to the post on top of the emergency brake mechanism. If this ground is disconnected, your instrument panel finds all kinds of other ways to connect to ground, which really screws up the instrument panel lights and gauges.
- At the front of the truck make sure there is a ground to the radiator support for each side. That wire is usually very easy to see on the driver's side, but may be right next to the battery on the passenger side.
- At the back of the truck in the middle, just under the edge of the bed there should be a white ground wire that connects the wiring harness to the bed and to the frame.
- At each taillight there is a ground wire to the truck body.

Check all these first, since if any of them are missing it makes it very hard to do other troubleshooting of the lights.

Bruce

74propu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
austin
Truck Year
1974 1980 1986
Truck Model
c10s/b c10 s/b c10l/b
Engine Size
5.3 / ?/454 tbi
Calvin if you step on the brake pedal dose the front turn signals light up???
if they do take apart the rear lights take the bulbs out and inside the sockets there will be a small copper strip down the side look and see if they are still there or have broke off ?? if missing a copper strip replace the socket with a new one from the parts store then recheck front lights with brakes on if they don't come on replace the 552 flasher in the fuse panel and check for turn signals
some times the little copper ground straps in the sockets brake off and the lights will back feed to find a ground and pop the little flasher in the fuse panel

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
Any luck finding the source of your issues?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flynhigh88