Bilstein ,Kyb monotube ,Belltech ....daily driving opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
Its time for shocks. Want something that really makes a noticeable improvement over stock. Wont be pulling more than a 14ft trailer with a sxs on it. Would like a softer ride considering the horrible roads I drive on. Am leaning toward the Bilstein but have never done more than kyb g2's on a sqaure. The g2's were ok i suppose but im hoping that spending the $$ for kyb monotubes or Bilstein will be a better ride.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Most people consider the bilstein 5100/51xx to be pretty much the best before stepping up to a fox or king, etc...

I just got some 5125s but don’t have any feedback on them yet...

I have the KYB and they aren’t anything to write home about.

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
Most people consider the bilstein 5100/51xx to be pretty much the best before stepping up to a fox or king, etc...

I just got some 5125s but don’t have any feedback on them yet...

I have the KYB and they aren’t anything to write home about.

Do you have the KYB monotube? Also, I can only find the Bilstein 4600 for some reason...is the 51xx for a k

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I had the Bilstein blue/yellow shocks on my old '78 K15. When I bought my '77 K20 it had the original shocks and I put on the ORD front shackles (OEM ones were bent/worn out) and some KYB monoMAX shocks. At the time these shocks were about 1/2 the price of the Bilstein blue/yellows. I thought the ride was exactly the same between them. The only "real" difference was the KYB shocks had rubber bushings and the Bilsteins had urethane.

And to me it really felt like the 5100/5125 rode the same as the old blue/yellow shocks, but that they made them in extended lengths for a lift. I've had 2 of them start leaking on me also- but I've used them hard. The replacements haven't leaked yet though.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
oops. Duplicate.

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
Its between the monomax and Bilstein for sure. The cost is still about half for the kyb. Ive put gr2's on about everything from a bmw e30 to a squarebody and think they've done well for what they are. Maybe the monomax is worth a shot.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Do you have the KYB monotube? Also, I can only find the Bilstein 4600 for some reason...is the 51xx for a k
Yep, 5125 for a K. I’d have to look up the model of kyb. At the time I just plugged in 84 K30 and kyb at rock auto.

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350
Our shop always used kyb with good results. I have bilsteins on my 05 Sierra and im happy with them, the fronts have over 100K miles and still going strong. Either one should work well.

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
Our shop always used kyb with good results. I have bilsteins on my 05 Sierra and im happy with them, the fronts have over 100K miles and still going strong. Either one should work well.

Yah i like kyb enough to have put some kyb g2's on about 5 different vehicles. All of them were performance coupes(ricers) with over 300whp though so the ride "smoothness" wasnt paramount. Im hoping the monotubes "monomax" kyb's are much smoother since i found a set of 4 for $200 on rock auto with a $25 rebate. of course kyb seems to always have a buy4 discount going.

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
Forgive my ignorance but I have to assume by the text that you're talking about a C and not a K???

If a C check out my thread from not that long ago.....

https://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/shocks-can-do-that.31538/

Ok so i read your results and was assuming everything you said already. The Bilstein's would be softer and for a 2wd probably best. If it needed the extra resistance due to 4x4 axles up front I may lean towards the kyb since they are known to be stiffer, however i want the softest ride possible without sacrificing handling. My city streets are worse than the dirt roads around here....its a real crying shame.
I mean spending 200(kyb) is better than 360(bil) but I think Im just gonna suck it up and buy what is known to be the superlative choice.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Unless you get into shocks with single or double adjustable damping, I'm not sure you'll notice a huge difference between new KYB and Bilstein. Best shocks I ever had were Tokico on an Infiniti sedan and QA1 Stocker Star on a 55 Chevy car, both with adjustable rebound damping.

Last time I looked, Tokico did not make a shock for our trucks, but I just found these from QA1. And they are made in Minnesota!

https://www.qa1.net/news/qa1-releases-stocker-star-shocks-for-2wd-trucks

Not inexpensive, but I highly recommend them, even if you get the model with only adjustable rebound damping. As I recall, mine had 12 settings for rebound damping, and I could really tell the difference with just 2-3 clicks. And they can be rebuilt.

I don't think a soft ride and improved handling go hand in hand. Even new performance sedans and coupes tend to ride rougher, which is a trade-off for better steering response and flatter cornering. In the past few years, BMW went for a smoother ride on some of their sedans, but at the expense of handing, for which they were widely criticized.

Last edited:

Backfoot100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Carbed 350
Unless you get into shocks with single or double adjustable damping, I'm not sure you'll notice a huge difference between new KYB and Bilstein.

I have to agree. I got the impression based solely on manufacturer documents that the Monomax and the Bilstien 4600 were going to be really close. They're direct competition to each other.
The Monomax was supposedly a little stiffer but with my oversize tires on a heavier Suburban, it made more sense. After putting more miles on it since the install, I'm still really happy with them.
While the ride isn't my highest priority, its not harsh but still firm. The handling is still so much better overall.

Backfoot100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Carbed 350
Unless you get into shocks with single or double adjustable damping, I'm not sure you'll notice a huge difference between new KYB and Bilstein.

I have to agree. I got the impression based solely on manufacturer documents that the Monomax and the Bilstien 4600 were going to be really close. They're direct competition to each other.
The Monomax was supposedly a little stiffer but with my oversize tires on a heavier Suburban, it made more sense. After putting more miles on it since the install, I'm still really happy with them.
While the ride isn't my highest priority, its not harsh but still firm. The handling is still so much better overall.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeD