Shocks can do that?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Backfoot100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Carbed 350
I put new shocks on my truck this weekend and I wanted to post the results. First, let me say that my SUB has horrid handling. It bounces excessively, would sometimes jump over what seemed like several feet when the tires would get stuck in a groove in the pavement. It was like driving on old bias ply tires for those of you who know what I’m talking about. This often resulted in a counter steer that made the whole rig dodge, weave and roll even more to get back on track.

When meeting a semi on a two lane road, the wind would push me over what seemed like several feet requiring the aforementioned counter steer. It has excessive body roll in corners and does nose dives if you had to stand on the brakes. It’s just bad.

I looked at the shocks and figured they were bad but they don’t leak and they had definitely been replaced by the PO. I still couldn’t tell what brand or type they were. I then assumed the suspension bushings and body mounts had to be causing this horrid handling. I checked them all over and found that they all looked really good considering they were 34 year old factory. None are busted, cracked or disintegrated in anyway. I’m sure they should still probably be replaced but it was obvious they weren’t causing my extreme handling issues. Keep in mind this is an ’86 GMC C1500 Suburban with a stock suspension. It even has a factory sway bar that obviously wasn’t helping. I have 20” wheels and tires that have less than 8K miles on them so I know the tires aren’t the issue either.

So I figured I’ll start with the shocks and started to do some research. Now is when you start getting really confused. It seems ALL reviews and forums base performance on how smooth the ride is. Let me say, I don’t give a **** how smooth it is. At what point does a reviewer consider a ride too harsh vs. when I consider a ride too harsh? It’s all relative so I always throw out any and all opinions about how smooth the ride is. Furthermore, the reviews rarely tell you any specifics about the application. Sprung weight, unsprung weight, suspension mods, body mods, wheel/tire mods, towing, how much you haul and how you use your truck all change how a shock will operate for you vs. someone else.

A classic example…virtually every time a thread comes up in this forum about shocks, somebody says that the Bilstein 5100 is the go-to choice for our Squares. A quick search at Summit Racing for an ’86 C1500 Suburban has 77 shock options. That same search for an ’86 C1500 pickup has 88 shock options. The Bilstein 5100 is nowhere to be found on any of those options.

More research revealed that the 5100 is by far, probably the one and only choice for 4x4’s, lifted or stock with oversize tires or serious off road use. Definitely not needed for a road going two wheel drive Suburban.

After quite a bit more research, I narrowed my choice to two. The Bilstein 4600 which is a detuned 5100 and KYB MonoMax. These are classified as performance shocks that are better than standard factory equivalent shocks but not as aggressive as a high end Bilstein 5100. The KYB is a bit stiffer and better suited for heavier loads but can have a rougher ride. It’s probably better for oversize wheel/tire combinations. The 4600 is a smoother ride with occasional medium to heavy loads and better for towing. Again, that whole ride quality thing just pisses me off.

I finally decided on the KYB MonoMax. A Suburban sprung weight is higher and the oversize wheel/tire thing made it a logical choice.

I ordered the KYB’s and changed them out which was a breeze. Then I gathered up the wife and went on a 70 mile round trip to see our grand kids. All I can say is…..WOW!!!!!! Literally, everything that was wrong before was gone. No more bouncing, bobbing, weaving and getting blown over by a passing semi. Body roll in the corners was barely noticeable. The steering felt tighter and much more controlled and I didn’t think it was a problem before. Absolutely zero counter steering needed to keep it tracking where I wanted it to go.

I’ve put new shocks/struts on several of my cars over the years but I’ve never experienced such a drastic change in performance as this. It was a completely different truck. I am a changed man.

So how about the ride? I have no idea. The Drive was absolutely amazing and I could care less about the ride.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
Junior just switched out the shocks on our 1995 Suburban with a set of Bilsteins from the junkyard.
They looked to be in decent shape and ours were all the stock ones.
Granted they still did the job in a fine way, no excessive bounce after speed humps or other issues.

The new ones though, they are bouncy and the overall feel of the drive is worse.
Much like you state above it is harder to wrangle it down the road now.
Good thing the fancy blue and yellow shocks were only $12 total.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I had a similar experience. I replaced my shot Rancho 5000’s with Gabriel’s that were on sale from rock auto. $65 for all four, shipped. Made a noticeable difference in handling. Definitely worth the money. And this is on a 78 k10. Just goes to show that new parts are always better than old, worn out ones, regardless of the brand stamped on them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey