best alternator for the $$$

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Either one of those should work fine.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
I''d go for an AD230 or AD244 alternator. Higher amps at a lower RPM.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
If you are installing it on a '77 350, the 2nd one (new 94 amp 12si with V pulley) should be a direct replacement for the old 10si you have.

You should also use a heavier charge wire just in case you ever load it down and get the full 94 amps. I'd recommend going to a pick and pull and getting the higher amp charge wire from a newer GM truck, since it will already have the connectors and a fusible link. IIRC, it will be an 8 gauge wire with a #12 fusible link. The fusible link part is usually a black barrel-shaped piece molded into the wire, and it should have a 12 on the black barrel part.

The CS130 is also a good alternator, but not quite as simple to plug and play as it is to use a 12si in your older truck.

Bruce

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I just put this one in. It’s 175 amps. Can be one wire or multiwire. Made in America, too!

I can find the info if interested. I found it on summit, but I’m sure it could be found on amazon.

Never mind the circled part, it’s for another post...
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Hatchet54

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Red
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Sierra Grande
Engine Size
Well it certainly looks good. Yeah post up the info on it, I'd be curious to look it up.

Think I'm going to just pull the plug on that Delco.

Hatchet54

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Red
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Sierra Grande
Engine Size
If you are installing it on a '77 350, the 2nd one (new 94 amp 12si with V pulley) should be a direct replacement for the old 10si you have.

You should also use a heavier charge wire just in case you ever load it down and get the full 94 amps. I'd recommend going to a pick and pull and getting the higher amp charge wire from a newer GM truck, since it will already have the connectors and a fusible link. IIRC, it will be an 8 gauge wire with a #12 fusible link. The fusible link part is usually a black barrel-shaped piece molded into the wire, and it should have a 12 on the black barrel part.

The CS130 is also a good alternator, but not quite as simple to plug and play as it is to use a 12si in your older truck.

Bruce

Thanks for the advice Bruce. Stupid question time though - does the "pigtail wire adapter" from Acdelco serve the same purpose as a heavier wire? It's hard for me to really visualize anything without looking at the parts.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
The pigtail adapter is used to adapt the old GM alternator plug to the new alternator without any cutting or modifications. You will still need to upgrade the charge wire to handle the additional current. First time the alternator ramps up to the full 94 amps (or whatever the new alternator output current is) will let all the smoke out of the wire. And everyone knows the smoke is what makes the electrical system work!! . No smoke in the wires, nothing works.

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
Haha that's good, smoke in the wires.
Another one I always liked was the ghost, don't let the ghost out cause you can't put it back in. And it WILL haunt you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scandia