Barn Door Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I can see that. But my initial thought of a tow strap is thick and wide, not the smaller ones.

But on the other hand, seatbelts are still overkill strong just to hold a barn door, and they are easier to find in black.
you can recover small and medium sized cars by hooking to the seatbelt. pretty badass to see.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I can see that. But my initial thought of a tow strap is thick and wide, not the smaller ones.

But on the other hand, seatbelts are still overkill strong just to hold a barn door, and they are easier to find in black.
Yeah, most straps are wide I got one that's the same size(not heavy duty), but not worrying about looks seat belt or a plane belt will work for that matter, don't take that much to hold a barn door, lol.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Tow strap is thicker, sew it up right and it would look pretty close to original, I would think.
That was going to be my suggestion. Use a snapped tow strap and make your own. You can take a strap to the cleaners where they probably have a seamstress that sews and repairs carpets and rugs, and they have a heavy needle that can sew the loop on for you for I bet no more than $10. Have them even put in some extra stiching and make them better than OEM new.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
That was going to be my suggestion. Use a snapped tow strap and make your own. You can take a strap to the cleaners where they probably have a seamstress that sews and repairs carpets and rugs, and they have a heavy needle that can sew the loop on for you for I bet no more than $10. Have them even put in some extra stiching and make them better than OEM new.
Yup...

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm pretty sure I have a strap too. One that, one end has the hook snapped off. I'll see if I can dig it out and see it's condition. I've tons of tow chains, and tow buddies, I probably don't need the strap. Ohh man, brain fart.... Where did I see it and what did I do with it? I had a heavy ass strap that was like 4 inches wide and it was tougher than hell. Tattered a bit for sure but man it was strong as hell, and to short to do anything with. I bet that would be great for someone to make straps with.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Most tow straps I've had and used were yellow or white.

And yes, the 4 and 6 inch wide straps are very strong. Plenty strong enough to pull out a tractor and planter that's buried up to the frame.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I'm sure they could be dyed pretty easy.

mags468

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Looking for any idea on where i can find the old fabric straps that stop and hold the barn doors. Any idea guys? Or something close?
Go to Brothers,Classic industries and Classic parts

ballencd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Truck Year
1988/1991/1983/1984
Truck Model
V10 Suburban/V1500 Suburban/M35 bobbed w/dump/M1010
Engine Size
5.7/5.7/LDT 465-1c/6.2 diesel
A shoe repair shop should be able to sew a replacement strap also.

MT84

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I googled "1980s cargo door check strap" and found some cheap 10 dollar adjustable one's. No idea if they work but I'm going to order 1 because I'm in the same boat. Found this thread struggling to find some on the Google. The key was the "check" portion when searching.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silverado9019