Bad Day for the Chevy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lowered4Life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Danielle
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
So my boyfriend and I went out on a offroad/camping meet with some other people this past weekend and everything went great!

So Monday morning comes along and he has to take the chevy back to his shop where we store it. I was also driving to work the same way he was and we were in some light traffic when all of a sudden I see him pull to the side of the road and there is smoke coming out from behind the truck. I can't make it over to stop behind him so i head to the next exit. Well i call him to ask if everything is ok and he is like im opening the hood right now and then all I hear is " Holy Sh*T the truck is on FIRE". I tell him to hang up and I call 911 and tell them that the truck is on fire! I turn around and head back to him. All I can think is that the truck is going to blow up and burn to the ground....well when I get there the fire is out. Some nice guy stopped and gave him a fire extinguisher. Thank god the guy stopped otherwise the Chevy would probably be gone. So his dad come to help us tow it back to the shop. We got it to the shop and looking around we can't figure out what happened, it was still full of oil, no electrical fire, nothing other than the normal oil leak from the oil pressure line. Well there was one thing, on the hood on the passenger side it was soaked with oil, and it looked like the entire passenger side engine compartment had been lightly sprayed with oil. So we plan to replace the melted wires and hoses and try starting it to see what happens.

So who knows what happened but the Chevy is out of commission for a little while.

Make sure to always carry a fire extinguisher!

You must be registered for see images attach

RailRiderHD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
Wow, that sucks, sorry to hear that, hope it all is ok

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
oil on the headers probably did it.

Lowered4Life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Danielle
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
there is a puddle of oil on the underside of the hood on the passenger side and we have no idea where it came from. need to do some investigating to find where the oil came from.

82chevy350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Truck Year
1982, 1976
Truck Model
C10, K10, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
Damn that sucks

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
We had a discussion here on the forum a few months ago about how we all should have a fire extinguisher in our vehicles, made me realize no one I ride with ever carries one so I got one and mounted it in the truck. And hey! I know your pain, I caught my truck on fire tuning the carb one day. All it takes is one time to forget putting on a fuel line, then start it to ruin everything. As far as your oil leak I would check your pcv valve or filler cap, and check your front main seal. Those are the only things I can think of that might have caused it right off the top of my head. This just gives you an opportunity to make it rise from the ashes even better! I'm glad it wasn't as bad as mine. I bet I had 12 foot flames rolling out from under the hood for at least a minute or 2.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Wow that sucks but glad that your boyfriend is alright and that the truck was spared!! Makes me wanna mount of a fire extinguisher in my truck now.....

I'd die if my truck burned to the ground :bawl:

Lowered4Life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Danielle
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I would die if this burnt to the ground too! I mean it's nothing that special but we just finished doing a bunch of stuff to it. Yes everyone should have a fire extinguisher! I can't stress that enough.

anyone have a lq9 nv500 setup laying around they wanna get rid of ?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
BUM MER !!! Damn, that sucks.

wagonman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
george
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
Check your trans cooler lines if automatic.High pressure atf and headders WILL cause a fire.Sorry about your bad luck....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody