Bad ball joint help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StickDeath

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
so i am pretty sure my ball joint passenger side on my 73 chevy 4x4 is going out. I just got the elusive clunking sound every once in awhile. is it safe to drive around like this until i can get it replaced. Tire inst gonna come off or anything?

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
Clunking sound could be a lot of things.Jack up the front axle and set it back down on jack stands with the tires off the ground.Then grab a buddy and have him or her grab your tire at the top and bottom then rock the tire while you watch the ball joints.If you see them move they need replacement.If they do not move and you still have play top to bottom its your wheel bearings.If you grab the tire side by side and rock it you can see if your tie rod ends are good as well.Clunking while turning can also be busted center pin, cracked frame at box , pitman arm ends bad etc...you need to check everything. As far as driving with bad ball joints , all my square's have 35" and larger tires which is hard on parts and I have driven lots of miles with worn out ball joints with out ever having one come apart but thats not to say it cant happen. If you do have play at the joint and its very little you should be fine to drive but if its major play I would be fixing them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adis