Back to owning a square body!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
The logical thing to do would be put in whatever was in there for speed and ease of getting it back to running. I would wanna LS swap it but if a diesel swap is your end goal then cheap and quick should be route you take here. My 89 SBC TBI doesnt like pullin its own ass up grades I can imagine putting an SBC in a crew cab destined for hauling.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Welcome!

I just went through a huge debacle on Facebook with a similar truck and post lol.

Back in 05, I went down, checked out a nice, used, 2500HD, shortbed, extended cab, 6.0, sweet truck. I make a deal, buy it, take it home, life is good.

The next day, I get up, load up my truck bed camper, trailer, quads, gear headed to northern Michigan. That thing hunted between 2-3-4, it was absurd. I'd go up a hill, wham, down to 2, 4000 rpm, bang 3.... can't hold it, second again, speed dropping, ooop up the hill, lug back into 4th.

That truck went right back to the dealer and I swapped them for my crew cab long bed with an 8.1 and an Allison, no more problems towing, I can hold 4 or 5, the entire trip, which is mostly 2 lane roads at 60 mph, so it's barely idling. The 6.0 towed worse and needed more RPM than the 350 it replaced.

Now, yes, the 6.0 moved the load. Hauled it, didn't poop, it was fine. Probably would have continued to be fine if I were the type of guy to just crank up some Katy Perry and set the cruise and sing along oblivious to the world, but it was not what I'd call an enjoyable experience. Also, the 4L80E compared to the Allison when towing is just a piece of trash.

I wouldn't even consider a 5.3 or a 4.8, cammed, tuned, boosted for something that's going to really tow.

I imagine, most people who tow, tow like me, maybe twice a month, some recreational stuff, a camper, boat, ATV's, whatever. The rest of the time, they're just driving around alone probably going to work or whatever. So I guess that's the real question, how much are you truly going to tow, and how often?

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
The factory put a sbc in 1-tons up to 1998 or 99, so you’ll be okay. If you need to, you can always swap the rear-end gearing to help it out.

Before my rebuild I had an average running 327 with 3.73s, but I wouldn’t dream of pulling a loaded car hauler with the grades in my area. It pulled my side-by-side okay on my 16-foot dovetail.

1-1/2 ton and larger trucks had 6 cylinders back in the day, but they had the right gear behind them.

You won’t be anywhere fast towing, though...

81c10lsx

Reaction score
First Name
Angel
Truck Year
Truck Model
Square body
Engine Size
Thanks everyone for the feedback I would be using it within possibly a 80 mile range and just want to be able to haul my car if needed to or the typical load of lumber or even some pipe on a pipe trailer nothing extremely heavy like a triple axle trailer or anything of that capacity. I think engine wise it sounds better if I go with a 454 will do the tbi if it’s not to difficult to get everything back together if not I’ll resort to the ol trusty carb but another question I’ve heard some feedback on motors but what style trans would my truck have came with 700r4, th400? If th400 has or anyone have experience with a gear vendors OD?

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
id guess a th400 for sure. I've heard folks with GV like them...expensive though. if you're doing it from scratch, look into a 4l80e with a trans controller. or 454, Holley terminator efi, and 4l80e. the terminator will control everything, including the 4l80e.

edit: or a 454tbi with 4l80e swap if you can get it with the appropriate computer. the Holley terminator looks really simple to set up, though.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Thanks everyone for the feedback I would be using it within possibly a 80 mile range and just want to be able to haul my car if needed to or the typical load of lumber or even some pipe on a pipe trailer nothing extremely heavy like a triple axle trailer or anything of that capacity. I think engine wise it sounds better if I go with a 454 will do the tbi if it’s not to difficult to get everything back together if not I’ll resort to the ol trusty carb but another question I’ve heard some feedback on motors but what style trans would my truck have came with 700r4, th400? If th400 has or anyone have experience with a gear vendors OD?

It's a Th400, it's honestly already quite capable for what you want to do. 454/th400 is a tow pig, just keep it to 65 or less and you'll be happy.

The Gear Vendors is so much money you'll never get back from mileage, the 4L80E is a better bang for the buck, but still, in an 80 miles radius, I'd just get it running and rock it as is for the time being.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Honky Kong Jr may be able to set you up with a BBC. He really digs those.

You may need to offer him some bumper thingies to talk about it tho.

1973c10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Welcome

Forum statistics

Threads