Back Pain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rohrs84GMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
Hey guys I'm still very new here. I sound like a pu*** :baby: but though I love my square to death for some reason it just kills my back. It's not from how it drives though, the ride is relatively smooth. Anyways has anyone else had this issue and has anybody found a solution?

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Some better seats would be one suggestion.

I found a set of real Recaros out of an old Chevy Lumina (of all cars!) and put them in my van which had pretty hard seats in it, man what a DIFFERENCE. They may not look comfy but looks are deceiving.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Rohrs84GMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
Swapping seats isn't a bad option :big_banana_Dance: but I do really love the classic look of the bench seat. If possible I'd really like to find a solution that involves keeping it. Btw thanks for the speedy reply I'll keep a seat swap in mind! Back pain= :suicide:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Hey guys I'm still very new here. I sound like a pu*** :baby: but though I love my square to death for some reason it just kills my back. It's not from how it drives though, the ride is relatively smooth. Anyways has anyone else had this issue and has anybody found a solution?

Yep !!! I litteraly feel you pain. 15 pills a day says so. And that's a good day if I take as directed. I've got 5 of these trucks, 2 that can be driven daily, other 3 are projects in the works. The 84C20 that hurt my back so bad had a suspension problem so it got parked for awhile and I drove the 85K1500, rougher riding 4x4 no less. But, it had a rebuilt seat in it. Little to no added back pain and was tolerable, even with the extra stretch to get into the taller truck. Drove it for couple months but not much since I drive a tow truck. Got the 84C20 going again, the back pain is back and worse but I realized after driving the other square, that the seat was wore out in the driver side. So I swapped seats out of one of the project trucks. Difference is night and day and manageable back pain which is good for my condition.
I also noticed, the previous owner of the seat I swapped, done some redneck enginuity and put a 1 1/2 in cut off of 2x4 between the seat mount bracket and the seat frame itself in the front 2 mounting pads. Looks kinda like hell, but changing the angle of the seat, making it a steep incline from the backrest toward the front of the seat made a helluva difference in the way the seat support your legs and takes the strain off my lower back. If you aren't aware of, or catching on to what I'm referring to, I'll get you a pic. I wasn't going to mention it on the forum, because even I had to laugh when I seen it, but I'm telling you, it's worth the laugh in relief of the back pain, espeically for that 70 mile drive to my dads property, worht it. You could always use some kind of metal spacer and longer bolt too, then it woudln't look so redneck like.

Last edited:

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Look at your front springs, specifically the rear shackle angle. If it looks like under compression the leaf spring eye contacts the frame, that will make it ride rough. I had 4" lift & stock shackles and it rode like a buckboard wagon. Once I switched to 6" and longer shackles it rides much better now. And yes I'm another one who has a ****** up back here on the forum so you aint alone!

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Even rough rides don't seem to bother any level of my back as long as I have a good seat. That roll back can beat the **** out of anyone with a good back in the passenger seat. Luckily I have an adjustable air ride seat for the driver side. I don't consider myself a ***** when it comes to pain, but I'll tell you what, I have back pain that brings tears to my eyes several times a week. Just changing that seat angle made a helluva a difference. Cruise Control for long trips helps immensely too. Another reason all my trucks are Silverados. I can do wo AC if I have to, but it's bad if I have to do wo Cruise.

Guardian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
c 10
Engine Size
I am one that did the seat swap. It makes a huge difference.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
BTW, my seat swap, was an OEM seat for an OEM seat.

jt1200r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
4.3/th400/3.08
this thread is useless without pics.i just want to see the 2X4

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
WTF??? Are you saying you want to see my wood???

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So I get out in the heat just to go get a pic of my wood. Sure hope you appreciate it. As redneck as it is, it makes a huge difference. Just seems to me the redneck could have used something as a spacer and do the same thing. I doubt mine will stay this way long. I'll come up with something better because I'm going to do it to the other truck too. :grd:

Attachments

• woodseatspacer 003.jpg
    woodseatspacer 003.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 113

Rohrs84GMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
lol I'm going to give that 2x4 a shot for the mean time! But i did some more research and it seems swapping is the way to go. I would like to do a swap that is minimal on modifications, "if possible". Can anyone here give me some details on what seats they put in and the modifications it took to get there? Photos would be wicked :)

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
lol I'm going to give that 2x4 a shot for the mean time! But i did some more research and it seems swapping is the way to go. I would like to do a swap that is minimal on modifications, "if possible". Can anyone here give me some details on what seats they put in and the modifications it took to get there? Photos would be wicked :)

Modifications aren't light, but Old77 has a write up thread where he put 99 body style split bench with fold down armrest in his Square. That might give you some ideas. I also hear the GMT 400, or 88-98 seats aren't hard to bolt in, but they are narrower, so you'd have to sit closer to the center. Now that could come in handy when you gotta fart. You wouldn't have to lift so high, just scoot over a bit and lean to the right. :grd:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dpickett1981