auto to manual conversion in a R10 need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

burbdood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V-10 Suburban
Engine Size
I've never had a 4x4 with an automatic tranny before my K5 and now the Sub but I have to say, as my left knee gets worse and worse and I creep closer and closer to surgery, it sure is nice to have one. I agree that a manual is great for offroad and if I were more motivated, not to mention more bendy, I'd sure consider it. But as it sits, I'm actually looking for a rebuilt 700R4 to replace the TH350 in Fillmore so I can have OD on long trips. And as long as you keep an auto trans cool enough, it'll last a long time.

It's easier to find another truck you like with a manual in it rather than swapping in a tranny in one you want to get rid of. :driver:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I've never had a 4x4 with an automatic tranny before my K5 and now the Sub but I have to say, as my left knee gets worse and worse and I creep closer and closer to surgery, it sure is nice to have one. I agree that a manual is great for offroad and if I were more motivated, not to mention more bendy, I'd sure consider it. But as it sits, I'm actually looking for a rebuilt 700R4 to replace the TH350 in Fillmore so I can have OD on long trips. And as long as you keep an auto trans cool enough, it'll last a long time.

It's easier to find another truck you like with a manual in it rather than swapping in a tranny in one you want to get rid of. :driver:
I there with you Burb, with my back, I probably have no reason to be driving manuals anymore since all my ailments tend to go to left side. Legs, Arms, shoulders etc. My K10 was orinally 700r4 so its set up that way to either go T350 or 700r4 either one and I was going to go T350 for the strength, but found a nice K 700r4 case out of an 89 Burb with a NP208, so that is the case of choice for 4x4's and I will build it, and it will handle the abuse. You need to be looking for an 88-92 700r4 with a big K on the passneger side of the case. If you don't get a K case, at least go with the 88-92 case. Better guts, thicker shafts etc. There are several mods that need to be done to a 700r4 to make them strong enough to handle abuse, and some mods just for the average Joe that will make them last longer. You might be better off to save your pennies and peanuts to get you a Monster trans if you are any kind of abusive and heavy wheeling. Lucky for me, I build my own, so I build them to give them hell, break them, and rebuild them even better again, so I enjoy breaking them. Except when funds are tight and I can't afford parts.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
And to further explain about auto's guys. I 'll explain what got me into them. I am and have always been a die hard manual trans guy. GO MUNCIE ROCKRUCKER and Hurst Comp Plus Shifter !!! This old dad of a good buddy of mine alwasy told me, dammit dude, convert to auto and you'll quit breaking dirveshafts, rearends, u joints, etc. Nahhh BS, I'm not having a ***** ass auto trans. So one day when I had the M21, not the rockcrusher, since I upgraded all my drivetrain and finally quit breaking driveshafts and rear ends, I broke the damn counter gear in the M21 with a hard 2nd gear shift side stepping the clutch getting the truck every which way but strainght with about 400-425hp. Did it all the time for years and never broke the trans. Well this time I did. I was heartbroken my baby M21 needed surgery and I didn't have the funds. With a broke counter gear, you actually have no gears, not like I broke 2nd and could go 1st to 3rd. So the truck was out of service, my daily driver, 22yo and stupid, I didn't have a ride to work now. Guess who came to the rescue?? That fuggin old man. I told you, you need to go auto. Come over, I got a T350 you can build for nothing and get your truck running. So I had a BPO T350 that was good, his Chevy case was needing a rebuild, so he watched and told me how to transfer the guts from the BPO case to the Chevy case. Beilve it or not, the driveshaft, even the same yoke fit the T350 and so did the crossmember. Couln't believe it. So all I had to do was add an Auto shifter, trans cooler since my radiator didn't have a cooler, ran the vac line and that was it. For the first week, I was using the E brake and getting under the truck to put it in gear, but it got me to and from work. Then on payday, I bought a used B&M Quicksilver rathet shifter off another buddy and installed. Loved that shifter too. Rather than fix the M21, I got into building auto's, breaking them on purpose, making my own shift kits, getting into the theory and operation and actullly know alot more about autos now than I do manuals. I still love shifting gears, and there are a few advantages to manuals, like push start, rocking out when you're stuck etc, but I can assure you, done right, you can build an automatic that is problem free and just as strong as any manual, and out shfit any manual out there I'll assure you. The big key to an auto is keeping it cool. You can build it to be bullet proof and take tons of abuse, but you don't keep it cool, kiss it goodbye in a short minute.

yunosaysoda

Reaction score
First Name
Frederico
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
auto to 4 speed

I am making one truck from two separate trucks and the shortbed chassis that im using is a 4 speed but the cab im putting in it was an auto chassis is 77 cab is 75 i noticed in the 77 cab the clutch spring was attached to a welded piece in the pedal bracket my question is, will the auto cab have this on it, if not is there a kit i can purchase?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aultinator