arched springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
Sometimes real life differ's from whats on paper , ( kind of like a stated 330 hp motor from summit thats a dog in the real world , maybe 210 hp on a good day) , but to each thier own. Leafs also take some time to settle down after install , I wonder what the rating is then? Anyway I rode many times in my buddies 75 square many times with a tuff country kit (shocks included) and it's crap for ride. He is going to change the shocks and if the ride does not improve his kit goes on craigslist and he wants to go with my set up , skyjacker springs with soft bilstien reservoir shocks for the killer ride and really nice off road as well.
I am not trying to bash but thats first hand of what's going on in our little truck world where I am at right now and like I said I have three square's right now with the same set up , (skyjacker/bilstien) and they all ride better on and off road , better than stock and much better than some of the other square's with other leafs on them in my area. I also have taken some people for a hot lap down the freeway and on a trashed gravel road by my house and they all asked , (What suspension do you have on this thing , I need it).
Again not trying to bash just tossing in my trial and error with different stuff I have ran on my square's

i too have played with alot of different suspension setups on alot of different trucks. if you're just bolting on a set of springs (like 95% of guys want to do), TC and BDS are the way to go. if you start messing with shackle eye location and shackle length (to tune shackle angle) then the springs do get too soft. i've played with trucks equipped with springs from most manufacturers in anything from street queens, bog monsters, to rocks and trails. having owned well over 30 squares, i've got a pretty good idea of what's going on first hand in our little truck world.

i find it odd that you bag on the TC kit, and say that it rides like crap... what does it do that makes it ride like crap?

dee123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
whats the difference between aftermarket springs and getting new springs from a spring shop that does only that. build and install springs. i would think they know what they're doing. i've dealt with this spring shop before for other vehicles, but this is my first square and i trust what they say

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
The difference is, the people here who are offering their advice and experiences are not motivated by money. The spring shop however is. Only piece of advice I would add is, if you're going with 4" lift now and you think you might want 6" somewhere down the road, dont screw around. Go ahead and do what you have to to end up where you want to be. You'll save a shitload of money in the long run.

dee123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
appreciate the advice. 4" is the highest i'm going to go. New springs from a spring shop are $700. Aftermarket are closer to $1300. I dont know how you guys in the states are getting them for $600. maybe i'm calling the wrong suppliers. Shipping auto parts across the border kills us $ wise. again, thanks.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I had 6" Skyjacker Softride springs on my '78 Burb and it rode like a dream. Never had a problem with those springs, on the road, off the road, and ran a few mud races with them. If I were to lift a truck again that is what I would buy without a doubt.

78shortandwide

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
The difference is, the people here who are offering their advice and experiences are not motivated by money. The spring shop however is. Only piece of advice I would add is, if you're going with 4" lift now and you think you might want 6" somewhere down the road, dont screw around. Go ahead and do what you have to to end up where you want to be. You'll save a shitload of money in the long run.

I bought a 4" lift with blocks for my truck first for about 400, and didnt like it so i went with the 6" i have now that is all springs for about 800. both of the kits came with shocks too. I lost about 100 bucks on the 4" when i sold it. So if you think you would want a bigger lift than 4" you should just get it noe it will save you money.

dee123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
i want a 6" lift but wife wants 4". Easier to agree with her then piss her off, i think. won't be more than 4". Next truck might be bigger. Then i'll give her this one.

78shortandwide

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Happy wife happy life!!

dee123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
need to keep it that way.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
i want a 6" lift but wife wants 4". Easier to agree with her then piss her off, i think. won't be more than 4". Next truck might be bigger. Then i'll give her this one.

Order the 6" anyway. It's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission:High 5:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

Or do the 4in 42 rear spring up front for a cheap 4in lift. C4 can give can give the basic run down on how to do it.
C4, Are you aware of how the 4in lift with 42in rear springs works as far as ride comfort. I going to make an assumption that its actually pretty good since the springs are actually longer.

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
i too have played with alot of different suspension setups on alot of different trucks. if you're just bolting on a set of springs (like 95% of guys want to do), TC and BDS are the way to go. if you start messing with shackle eye location and shackle length (to tune shackle angle) then the springs do get too soft. i've played with trucks equipped with springs from most manufacturers in anything from street queens, bog monsters, to rocks and trails. having owned well over 30 squares, i've got a pretty good idea of what's going on first hand in our little truck world.

i find it odd that you bag on the TC kit, and say that it rides like crap... what does it do that makes it ride like crap?

My buds 75 with the TC is just to stiff , could be the cheap shocks , either way I don't like it and niether does he.All of my trucks over the years with skyjackers have been sweet and everyone I know that has or have had skyjacker's loves them , so I don't think they would be in the bad spring section.
I my self have ran , rancho , superlift , trailmaster , pro comp and even rough country and they all worked but did'nt ride so well.After running skyjacker's I and a lot of other people would never look back.
Never have ran bds though and I don't know anyone who has other than some dudes that have a bds kit on there newer trucks.

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
I had 6" Skyjacker Softride springs on my '78 Burb and it rode like a dream. Never had a problem with those springs, on the road, off the road, and ran a few mud races with them. If I were to lift a truck again that is what I would buy without a doubt.

Agree!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
My buds 75 with the TC is just to stiff , could be the cheap shocks , either way I don't like it and niether does he.All of my trucks over the years with skyjackers have been sweet and everyone I know that has or have had skyjacker's loves them , so I don't think they would be in the bad spring section.
I my self have ran , rancho , superlift , trailmaster , pro comp and even rough country and they all worked but did'nt ride so well.After running skyjacker's I and a lot of other people would never look back.
Never have ran bds though and I don't know anyone who has other than some dudes that have a bds kit on there newer trucks.

I have BDS 4" springs on the front of my Burb, I'd say it is comparable to how the truck rode when it was stock. And I run cheapo bottom of the barrel shocks. The springs are holding up great and don't seem to have sagged any.

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
I have BDS 4" springs on the front of my Burb, I'd say it is comparable to how the truck rode when it was stock. And I run cheapo bottom of the barrel shocks. The springs are holding up great and don't seem to have sagged any.

Thats nice to hear , might have to try a set on another project ,(if I can make some more money someday)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade