Any mods to avoid when buying?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
like swapping a delco remy for a reman accel?
Like swapping anything for anything else when the person doing the swapping condemns #1 as an inferior product simply because he doesn't understand how it works or how to repair it.. So he runs out and buys #2 to throw at it..

3504boltmain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trent
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
5.7l
Like swapping anything for anything else when the person doing the swapping condemns #1 as an inferior product simply because he doesn't understand how it works or how to repair it.. So he runs out and buys #2 to throw at it..
You must be registered for see images attach

This is what I imagine reading this...

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC

This is what I imagine reading this...
Different meanings for different people.. To me -- that abomination has nothing to do with the ability to repair something that's broke (however, in a stretch, it could).. It's all about poor taste, poor mental imagining skills, and plain stupidity... Just because you can doesn't mean you should..

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Different meanings for different people.. To me -- that abomination has nothing to do with the ability to repair something that's broke (however, in a stretch, it could).. It's all about poor taste, poor mental imagining skills, and plain stupidity... Just because you can doesn't mean you should..

I get where you're coming from, but for me it's all about bang for the buck. I've rebuilt carbs on tailgates on the side of the road, I swapped a cam in a gas station parking lot once.

I've also bought brand new stuff, carbs, FI systems, whole crate engines and dropped them in and went on my way.

Just depends on where I'm at in life, how soon do I need it, how much money do I have, etc etc. I'm not going to rebuild the Bendix in a starter, or rewind an alternator. Tons of people flatly refuse to open an automatic transmission.

Do what you can, do what you have to, I'm made plenty of "hack" repairs, but I'm not staying in Limon Colorado at 1:30 AM because my headlights went out and I don't have the proper soldering iron and shrink wrap. And when I was working 90 hours a week as a journeyman at 32.23/hr, I wasn't dinking around rebuilding a quadrajet or a engine in my winter beater K10.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
If it has a holley or edelbrock on it, back away slowly.

Never had any problems with my slobberjet sitting on an edelbrock for over 30 years. Of course before I added them I decked and port matched the manifold and resealed the well plugs in the carb.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
referrich