Any mods to avoid when buying?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rooster336

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hans
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hi All,

I am in the market for a K30 and am having a rough time finding one that hasn't been modified at least in some way. Are there mods that people do I want to avoid inheriting? Are there are some that would save me time and energy over a stock truck?

For some context this project will be a new farm truck/feed hauler with the occasional off-road trip for hunting/fishing.

Thanks.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
The closer to stock you can get, the better off you'll be. That way, you won't be buying anyone elses screwups or headaches. With a stock truck, it's much easier to troubleshoot problems. One you start looking at things with lifts, you need to look at how the steering geometry was handled, did they use a good quality lift, did they take any shortcuts or hack it up, before they decided to punt? Everybody with a harbor freight tool set thinks they're a mechanic, and the butchery is rampant.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I know this goes without saying but electrical stuff can throw up a ton of red flags... Aftermarket CB radios, stereos, amps, light bars, lights of any kind, relays of any kind, block heaters, electric chokes, or anything that was done out of laziness to work with the factory harness like starter wiring for instance. People come on here with months worth of heartache because the previous owner was an idiot. They should have been hacking on a Nissan Shitbox but instead decided to exert their stupidity on a good truck.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
I know this goes without saying but electrical stuff can throw up a ton of red flags... Aftermarket CB radios, stereos, amps, light bars, lights of any kind, relays of any kind, block heaters, electric chokes, or anything that was done out of laziness to work with the factory harness like starter wiring for instance. People come on here with months worth of heartache because the previous owner was an idiot. They should have been hacking on a Nissan Shitbox but instead decided to exert their stupidity on a good truck.

I like the way you think!
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Take my wife......please!!!!

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I've never actually seen the whole thing. I might have it on VHS somewhere but not sure. Caddyshack is a riot, and I've probably watched all of his sets on YouTube, especially the ones where he's on Johnny Carson.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Body mods... :buffer::weld::badidea:
like chopped tops or extra-cab mods.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Henny Youngman.
Send pix of your wife. She has to be a good cook and like trucks.
There’s one on here some where, she is and she likes furd trucks. Shes 5’5 and 119 I could probably get her in a large flat rate box what’s your address?

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Well...there's no accounting for taste. At least it's a truck.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
the full scene. Kinneson and Dangerfield. what a combo. lol

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Thanks for the context. Whew, that was intense.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Back to the OP question.

K30s are much less common, and harder to find. You should also look for Chevy K20's or GMC K25's, since they can have a GVW up to 8400-8600 lbs (depends on year). The high GVW models often have the 14 bolt FF rear axle and other HD components. Camper Special models also have heavier running gear.

If you buy an early truck (about 73-76) look for conversion from 16.5" wheels to 16" wheels, since 16's are much more common. Stock tires are fine, but for a K20 or K30 that will take a heavy load, make sure they bought 10 ply, Load rating E tires, not the cheaper C or D rated tires for a 1/2 ton. Stock tires are about 31", and anything bigger than about 33" will require some mods to the fenders, or a lift kit.

Up to a 2" spring lift kit will probably be fine, but for anything taller, make sure they did the job right. Taller kits require dropped steering arms to prevent bump steer. Body lift kits may require relocating the radiator mounts to keep it lined up with the shroud. Body lifts also require adjustment in transmission shift linkage, and other tweaks to keep it all lined up.

Everybody loves the TH400, but the TH350 was used in the HD 3/4 ton trucks for several years, and its a great transmission if you just do standard maintenance. If it does break, its relatively easy to fix or replace.

If you find one with Dana 60 axles, TH400, NP205, and other really HD pieces, the guy will probably think its worth a fortune. However, the corporate 14 bolt FF is also a great HD axle, and very commonly found in 4.10 and 4.56 ratios. The front Data 44 HD axle is also extremely reliable, and parts are easy to find.

Very few mechanics understand wiring very well, and its common for wiring to be butchered in the process of adding or fixing something for the truck. However, the must-have wiring for these trucks is simple, and if you get a wiring diagram and use the right colors for any repairs, you can fix just about anything. Its tedious, and requires attention to detail, but its not rocket science.

Bruce

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timk