Another new guy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

just plain john

Reaction score
Greetings and regards to all. I'm John, 53 years old and a native Houstonian. I'm a member of a couple different forums, but this is the first squarebody site I've joined. I have an 86 long fleet thats been my daily driver for 10 years now. I'm also workeing on my first project car, an 81 El Camino with an 87 Buick turbo V6. I met hotrodpc on the El Camino forum who encouraged me to join, so here I am. I have lots of archives to look at, better get started.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Welcome to the forum! We hope you take the time to put some pics up, we really like our truck p0rn. :lol: Enjoy your stay!

just plain john

Reaction score
My daily driver was redone about 10 years ago. Looked great for about 8, but the clearcoat on the hood is failing and looks like hell so I don't have any right now. I'll post a few later today. Heres one from my project.

Attachments

• externally gated ATR downpipe.jpg
    externally gated ATR downpipe.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 113

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Welcome to the site man!! Come often and enjoy yourself!

nxtlevl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Welcome...............:)...The Elky sounds like a cool project...is the motor from a GN, or just one you're putting together..?

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Welcome from N. E. Texas!!! A great site and lots of people that know there **** about a square body. We have a lot of fun, and we all have thick skin because we do give each other ****. So let me be the first to say:Moon:

greencountry05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Skinny
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
Welcome to GMSB! That El Camino sounds pretty cool with a turbo V6.

Manbearpig

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500HD Quadrasteer
Engine Size
Welcome to the site!!

How did you hear about us?

just plain john

Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. To answer a few questions, hotrodpc invited me to join, met him at elcaminocentral.com. The turbo V6 is out of an actual 87 Grand National that was hit by a motorcycle un the drivers side rocker panel. I salvaged the motor, trans, wiring harness, radiator, and various bits and pieces (sway bars, crossmember, throttle cable, motor mounts, and the like). Got an 8.5 posi rear out of another, and a dash out of still another, as well a a steering column. Hoping to run 11.5 or better. I need more time, not enough hours in the day to meet all my obligations. I hope to make a final push before next summer and have all the mechanicals dove and driving. Paint and body will follow that. New interior and front end installed already. I plan to keep driving my 86 LWB for a long time, and when the El is dome I'd like to do a LS swap into it. I live in Texas, so rust isn't much of an issue, and I was lucky in finding this particular truck. It's never been hit, and even the bed was mint without a ding in it. I replaced the 305 with a crate 350, rebuilt the 700R4, and it is box stock. Gets terrible gas mileage with a Qudarajet, but pulls strong.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Well, I always hate seeing another GN be taken off the road but if it's going to happen I'm glad to see that some if it's parts were salvageable and being used by someone else! :D One thing about it, not many people have a turbo V6 in their Elky so it's one way to stand out from the crowd :waytogo: I like it and would be tempted to just keep it like that but the LS swap would be cool as well. I like your line of thinking, man!

Once again, we're glad you're here! :cheers:

just plain john

Reaction score
Well, I always hate seeing another GN be taken off the road but if it's going to happen I'm glad to see that some if it's parts were salvageable and being used by someone else! :D One thing about it, not many people have a turbo V6 in their Elky so it's one way to stand out from the crowd :waytogo: I like it and would be tempted to just keep it like that but the LS swap would be cool as well. I like your line of thinking, man!

Once again, we're glad you're here! :cheers:
No, I meant an LS swap for daily driver 86 1/2 ton. The V6 will stay put as long as I own it, and I have no intention of ever selling. I'll give it to one of my sons who has actually helped out on it. I was hoping someone here has done the LS into a squarebody with firsthand knowledge. I believe the 86 model year was the last one for no computer (last year for a carburetor, dont know if the 87 TBI has one), so going from that to a late model EFI with a CPE, electric fuel pump and all the associated wiring harnesses will be challenging

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Glad to see you made it over from Elco Central John. Not even sure how I missed your intro but I did. Nice projects !!! So is that 231 I am seeing your squarebody? I was just talking about doing that with an even fire 231 I have from an 80 Monza. I am wanting to get a square that can achieve some mpg. Not real concerned about performance. Just want to get around town in. If not, sicne you know the 231's maybe you know how I'd handle the mounts in a sb truck.
Yep, 87 is the first year for the real computer in a TBI model. But actually, the ESC Electronic Spark Control is an ECM computer type too. I think that goes back to like 81 or so. Pretty much just a knock sensor to retard timinig, or keep timing as far advanced as possible. When knock is detected then it retards the timimg.

CknightK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
No, I meant an LS swap for daily driver 86 1/2 ton. The V6 will stay put as long as I own it, and I have no intention of ever selling. I'll give it to one of my sons who has actually helped out on it. I was hoping someone here has done the LS into a squarebody with firsthand knowledge. I believe the 86 model year was the last one for no computer (last year for a carburetor, dont know if the 87 TBI has one), so going from that to a late model EFI with a CPE, electric fuel pump and all the associated wiring harnesses will be challenging

:welcome: You Lucky bastard...... :poop: We cant even think about LS swaps in 86s here in Cali.. the Elky sounds Badass!! my Brother just picked up a badass 69 a few months ago for 2k. Its pretty sweet he defiantly picked up a barn find. I love El Caminos!!! Lookin forward to seeing your projects progress!!

Manbearpig

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500HD Quadrasteer
Engine Size
I love Caminos too :)

Latest posts