Another 700R question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

84chevk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I've got a noise, sounds like it's in the front part of the trans but I can't really tell. It sounds like a real bad header gasket or exh leak. Only does it when I put it in reverse, when I go to drive it goes away. I lost hearing in my right ear and it is really hard for me to pinpoint where noises are coming from, but since it's just in reverse, I take it that it's in the trans. I put a mild shift kit in and changed the filter when I was putting the truck together, pan had some fine black crap in it, but no metal or anything. It's in my 84 K10, anyone have any ideas? Haven't drove it any yet to amount to anything.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Is it only while at idle, or does the noise continue when actually driving in reverse?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Did this problem start right after the shift kit install? You sure you have all the vavle body bolts tight? Did you torque them? You could have a bleed in the valve body and something else is being applied that isn't supposed to be while in reverse.

Do need to know if it's while idling or just moving in reverse.

Though I've never heard of a transmission making this type noise. Usually screeching type noises.

How is 2nd and 4th gear? Are they nosier than normal? Working properly? If you're having problems with 2nd 4th and Reverse or even 2 of the 3, it's an indication the Sun Shell is damaged and will soon be getting worse until it lets go then you'll lose all 3, 2nd 4th and Reverse.

84chevk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
It's in the forward gears also, drove it today. Yesterday, it done it soon as I put it in reverse, all the way out of the garage until I put it in drive and then it quit. I drove it about 3 miles today and as I slowed down and made a U turn to go back I could hear it lightly. It done it before the shift kit and I torqued all the bolts and went back over them. I'll get a friend of mine to help pinpoint it. It only does it in gear, and add the fact I can hardly hear makes it hard. My 350 turbo is almost done, so may just stick it in.

84chevk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Well, found the problem. Starter drive gear hitting the flywheel. I have a 3 HP mini starter on it. There is clearance between them, maybe 10 thousands. I had done put 1 spacer between the starter housing, it needs 2. Starter works great, sounds good, but you put it in reverse and it barely hits the flywheel. I can back the bolts off a 1/2 turn and it quits, so I got to pull it off and put a 2nd spacer inn. The Summit flex plate, ring gear, seems to set more forward than most. It hasn't even marked the gear or flexplate yet, but to hear it in the cab, you'd think it's tearing up everything. Just about drove me nuts finding it.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Think it's bad in the cab you should here it in a boat, LOL..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76