Affordable engine replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

Found this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a damn good deal. The only caveat to it is that there's a 750 CFM carb on it, which I think is way too much for that motor. Hell, I wouldn't run more than 600. If this gets to your buying bone, I understand, but you'd still need to get a somewhat smaller carburetor. What's on it now? You could just keep that one and sell that carb for half of what you'd pay for the combo. Rebuild the old one if you have to and still have money to get you a nice distributor.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Pwn.

Dood!

307 has a 3.875 bore and a 3.25 stroke?
Run the 307 CRANK in a 350 block and make a 327!
Find the 350hp / 327 cam and make a friggin L79 and thank me later. Your 307 will serve NO better purpose than sacrificing it's crankshaft.

Srsly peppy.��

Srsly.

Run the vortex heads, fancy intake, fancy rockers, just to it dude. Now is your chance. You'll have more in the vortex head swap than you will in the short block - but it'll be worth it, I heard.
400 hp would have been a ways back. If you run that cam you spare machining of the seat+ buying fancy valve springs, right?
Think STRIP DOMINATOR 300-25!!!

PWN.��

A vortex headed L-79? Mother of god! Hyper flat tops, bout 10:1, free 5.7 rods - maybe 400 rods..., there is NO WAY 600 cfm is enough.

Pwwwnnnnnnn!!!,

Last edited:

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
The only caveat to it is that there's a 750 CFM carb on it, which I think is way too much for that motor.
Depends on cam and heads, but even on a stocker the 3310 works fine, the vacuum secondaries will only open as much as the motor needs not like a double pumper with mechanical secondaries, only thing that would suffer is mileage since the primaries are bigger than a 600, otherwise it works just fine.

DarthKnight84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado C10
Engine Size
What's on it now? You could just keep that one and sell that carb for half of what you'd pay for the combo. Rebuild the old one if you have to and still have money to get you a nice distributor.

It looks to be the stock quadrajet.

DarthKnight84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado C10
Engine Size
Dood!

307 has a 3.875 bore and a 3.25 stroke?
Run the 307 cam in a 350 block and make a 327!
Find the 350hp / 327 cam and make a friggin L79 and thank me later. Your 307 will serve NO better purpose than sacrificing it's crankshaft.

Srsly peppy.��

Srsly.

Run the vortex heads, fancy intake, fancy rockers, just to it dude. Now is your chance. You'll have more in the vortex head swap than you will in the short block - but it'll be worth it, I heard.
400 hp would have been a ways back. If you run that cam you spare machining of the seat+ buying fancy valve springs, right?
Think STRIP DOMINATOR 300-25!!!

PWN.��

A vortex headed L-79? Mother of god! Hyper flat tops, bout 10:1, free 5.7 rods - maybe 400 rods..., there is NO WAY 600 cfm is enough.

Pwwwnnnnnnn!!!,

This is not the budget friendly way to build though. Lol

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Depends on cam and heads, but even on a stocker the 3310 works fine, the vacuum secondaries will only open as much as the motor needs not like a double pumper with mechanical secondaries, only thing that would suffer is mileage since the primaries are bigger than a 600, otherwise it works just fine.

I understand. I'm looking at this in terms of the OP wants the most practical, economic setup possible with good performance. I guess I should have been more clear.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
It looks to be the stock quadrajet.

Well, what are your thoughts? That kit is a good deal, but the carburetor that comes with it will hamper your economy. If you like the Quadrajet, I'd put it on the 2101 and use the intake and cam. You could sell the other carb and still be under budget. Maybe enough to knock out the HEI, too.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
If you want performance AND economy the Q-Jet is the only way to go..

DarthKnight84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado C10
Engine Size

This is what I'm working with. Not really sure what hooks up where. Lol seems to run fine though.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Looks to be in good shape. You've got a vacuum leak or two that I can see. Plug those spare nipples on the carb with some vacuum caps, and it'll run a little better and idle down a little for the time being. The 2101 intake and then cam would work well. You can get hunt the intake and cam down for probably 200 dollars or a little less. I don't know if you would get $150 selling that Holley after buying that whole kit. Maybe. Summit's version of that cam is K1102, and it's much cheaper. Double check the specs, but it's a $103, and you can find the intake on eBay for $90, I'm sure, plus or minus 10.

DarthKnight84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado C10
Engine Size
Check your ignition timing to make sure you have at least 10-12 degrees advance at idle (with vacuum advance plugged). And then make sure advance increases with RPMs. If advance is 10 degrees or less at idle, feel free to rotate the distributor CCW to get 12-14 degrees. Then reconnect the vacuum advance and go drive it, and listen for pinging under full throttle and light acceleration. If you hear anything, then back off the advance a little. Also verify that vacuum advance is working. Advance should jump 10 or more degrees when you reconnect the carb manifold vacuum port to the distributor. There are better ways to do this, but the above will serve as a basic starting point.

If you still want more power, well, inches are everything!

No idea how to do any of this. Looks like I'll need to YouTube or google. Lol

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Thats a points distributer so point gap is also somthing that should be checked.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Points probably needs to be replaced, better yet **** can the points and put a points eliminator kit in and a coil and convert to electronic and keep the stock look..

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Well, that's a 1969 307 in a 1983 C10, so "stock look" could go either way.

I'd put an ACDelco HEI disti in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBSS GUY