Adding 4WD, where does the shifter go?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike_82_Shortbox

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
400ci
Hi guys, I put a two-wheel drive cab on a four-wheel-drive chassis, because the thing caught fire. Now it occurs to me I don't know the exact measurements where to cut a hole in the floor for the four-wheel-drive shift linkage.

Can any of you guys help me out? Got dimensions in hand? Take a picture, measure yours? Anything you can do to help would be appreciated.

Mike
You must be registered for see images attach

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Hi guys, I put a two-wheel drive cab on a four-wheel-drive chassis, because the thing caught fire. Now it occurs to me I don't know the exact measurements where to cut a hole in the floor for the four-wheel-drive shift linkage.

Can any of you guys help me out? Got dimensions in hand? Take a picture, measure yours? Anything you can do to help would be appreciated.

Mike
You must be registered for see images attach
What year is the frame and driveline?

kkgp81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kelley
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If it has a high himp already you should see an indentation. If you have a low hump you will need to get hands on a high hump and go for it. There is an aftermarket unit on fleabay but you can probably junkyard one also. The standard trucks had high humps in 2WD also

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I asked year etc. Just because I have a 1975 k. IDK if they are the same or not but if you want I can pull some measurements off my 75. I have no idea if that will help. I went silent thinking a dozen people by now would have got you some measurements and pics for an 85.

Old Guy Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I believe in the pre-‘80s trucks with 203 & 205 TCs the shifter mounted to the TC itself, thus the hole in the hump for the shifter had to be in a particular position.
The ‘80s trucks with the 208 the shifter mounts to the hump itself, with the single adjustable linkage rod to the TC… the shifter hole still needs to be in line with the TC side to side but can be placed further forward or back.
Does that seem correct?

Zelph

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
350 TBI
700R4 with a NP241.
From the firewall to the shift plate
From driver side
From passenger side

Attachments

• IMG_4354.jpeg
    IMG_4354.jpeg
    156.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4357.jpeg
    IMG_4357.jpeg
    177.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4358.jpeg
    IMG_4358.jpeg
    146.3 KB · Views: 15

Fat 454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Suburban
Engine Size
stupid thought - but could you not use the floor hump from the old cab to located the shifter holes? If not, I would set the floor up for a bolt in high hump. Then you can find a couple in the junkyard and refine the position using card templates or similar.

Mike_82_Shortbox

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
400ci
Hey, Bill, Yes, that's what I've got. A shifter from the correct truck, with the single linkage rod on the bellcrank on the 208. The hard-to-type kkgp81 sent me in the direction of an aftermarket hump, so I found one and got the pictures, so I have an idea of the placement, but I wanted to find the exact measure for it.

I hacked up a quick drawing. The question marks are either to the edge of the cutout, or to the center of the hole, your choice.

P.S. Just scrolled up and saw you beat me to it. Thanks, zelph, I'll see what I can make of this. And the old cab is a pile of melted steel, long gone...

Attachments

• 85_4wd_shifter.jpg
    85_4wd_shifter.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 15

Old Guy Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hey, Bill, Yes, that's what I've got. A shifter from the correct truck, with the single linkage rod on the bellcrank on the 208. The hard-to-type kkgp81 sent me in the direction of an aftermarket hump, so I found one and got the pictures, so I have an idea of the placement, but I wanted to find the exact measure for it.

I hacked up a quick drawing. The question marks are either to the edge of the cutout, or to the center of the hole, your choice.

P.S. Just scrolled up and saw you beat me to it. Thanks, zelph, I'll see what I can make of this. And the old cab is a pile of melted steel, long gone...
On my build, a ‘78 that had a 203, I’m going to adapt the 208 shifter to the existing hole in the hump. It will definitely need to be enlarged, but I don’t have any exact measurements yet, the cab is off the frame.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charkmapman