AC Delco professional shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I have a 14" lift and I need something that can handle speed bumps in mall parking lots well, but I want my square body to handle more like a mclaren mp4-12c. any suggestions, lol

Did a quick search about shocks and found 20 posts on Monroe vs Gabriel...

Truck is a stock height K30. Lots of twisty roads out here. I prioritize handling over comfort. don't need anything special for offroad.

I'm a sucker for AC Delco professional stuff. Anyone use the ACD shocks?

kyb gas adjust look tempting as well.

Any recommendations outside of those?

echo7bravo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10 stepside
Engine Size
350/Th400, 4.56 with 35" BFG MT
I think some people forget, shocks don't hold your truck up, they hold your wheel down. I've had many brands over the years from Bilstein to SkyJackers which I have now. And I believe they will all do the same thing. Just some are stronger or have smoother reflex. ACD makes good products. But personally I think I like the Rancho shocks the best.

But if you you are on a budget.....like I said they all do the same thing just some are stiffer or smoother than others.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
What sort of budget are you looking at?

I really like my Rancho RS9000XL shocks over the old Dick Cepek's that were on my truck before. The RS9000XL series has a knob-adjustable valve to easily tune it to different settings based on road conditions and load being carried.

There's also the much more expensive range of shocks such as Swawaway, Icon, King, Fox, etc. that have great performance, can be rebuilt, and they can be tuned to exactly what you want. Downside is the price and it take a good bit of work and testing to tune them.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I think some people forget, shocks don't hold your truck up, they hold your wheel down. I've had many brands over the years from Bilstein to SkyJackers which I have now. And I believe they will all do the same thing. Just some are stronger or have smoother reflex. ACD makes good products. But personally I think I like the Rancho shocks the best.

But if you you are on a budget.....like I said they all do the same thing just some are stiffer or smoother than others.
I agree. riding motocross most of my life, I've become an average student of suspension. I'm aware of the shock absorbers function but inexperienced with these trucks. I've notice some of the cheaper shocks on other types of vehicles will froth the oil and loose damping capacity in frequent cornering/braking type drives sooner than a quality piece would. most of my driving is frequent twisties. as far as budget, I like saving money but I'll pay for quality. I'd be happy to keep it under $50 a corner, but I'd go up to $100 if there were a justifiable and measurable difference in performance.

echo7bravo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10 stepside
Engine Size
Just my opinion. I would go with the Rancho 5000s. They seem (to me) have a quality that is lasting and seem to handle quite well with cornering and stopping. But, I would also paint them black to blend in with my other suspension. I'm not one for sparkling and shooting colors.

I too think like you. And for what I drive and my road conditions, that's what I would go with. The only reason I have the shocks I have is they were there when I bought the truck.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
What sort of budget are you looking at?

I really like my Rancho RS9000XL shocks over the old Dick Cepek's that were on my truck before. The RS9000XL series has a knob-adjustable valve to easily tune it to different settings based on road conditions and load being carried.

There's also the much more expensive range of shocks such as Swawaway, Icon, King, Fox, etc. that have great performance, can be rebuilt, and they can be tuned to exactly what you want. Downside is the price and it take a good bit of work and testing to tune them.
I was looking at these

https://www.4wheelparts.com/Suspension/Fox-2-0-Adventure-Series-IFP-Shocking-Deal-FOXADVENTUREIFP.aspx?t_c=1&t_s=90&t_pt=3306&t_pn=S/DFOXADVENTUREIFP&tf=1&gp=1&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&scid=scplpS/DFOXADVENTUREIFP73006&sc_intid=S/DFOXADVENTUREIFP73006&gclid=CjwKCAiA8vPUBRAyEiwA8F1oDC8rFak5mp4hXJGCn3MOoe8fpbUuwSnC4WVeDSbduyQHgY_Zxx4RqxoCuT8QAvD_BwE

but these have very similar features albeit non adjustable, for less than half the price.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=503820&cc=1053100&jsn=11546

rs9000xl says it's not adjustable on jegs site, but looks adjustable in picture. they're on sale for $80 a piece plus $50 Visa card on rebate. are yours adjustable?

http://www.jegs.com/i/Rancho/801/RS999227/10002/-1

Last edited:

echo7bravo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10 stepside
Engine Size
No, I currently have the Hydro7000 shocks. They're only about $45 a shock. But, they ride good.
My long term plan is to LS swap the engine and lower the suspension down to a 2" lift on 33s vs the 35s that I have now. Whenever, I get to that point I will change out the shocks. And would pick the Rancho 5000 (most likely).

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
The RS9000XL series shocks are adjustable via a 9-position knob on the bottom of the shock. It adjusts the dampening to the shock from pretty light to relatively stiff.

The RS5000 series shocks are non-adjustable.

I believe I have mine set to around 5, with 1 being lowest, 9 highest. At 1 its almost like you have no shocks... slightest bumps cause you to bounce for days like a Caddy. At 9, feels like you bought heavy duty shocks for a little S10. They worked well with carrying a load. Pop under there, turn the knob and you're good to go. They had a little vacuum box or something so you could adjust them from the cab, but im not sure if Rancho still offers that.

I also opted for the 9000XL's since they have a larger shock body diameter than most. They opted for an 18mm piston rod versus the 5/8" in most high performance ones.

Main factor behind purchasing these were the adjustability, the price, and they were good enough to run around town comfortably and play in the dirt without worry. I do play to upgrade to a set of Kings or Fox's at some point, but still have other upgrades to do first.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Any other suggestions on stuff in the $50 ballpark?

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Yeah, don't spend all your money on shocks. Front and rear sway bars with polyurethane bushings will do far more for your truck's road manners than shocks.

Get the squeaky red bushings from Energy Suspension, they come with the @Honky Kong jr seal of approval.:33:

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Yeah, don't spend all your money on shocks. Front and rear sway bars with polyurethane bushings will do far more for your truck's road manners than shocks.

Get the squeaky red bushings from Energy Suspension, they come with the @Honky Kong jr seal of approval.:33:
Lol not!!! I have a set of the black ones, still in the bag. I’m not putting the front bar back on.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small

I got all ORD bushings with the greasable bolts for my springs and ORD sway bar bushings. So everything is new and tight except my shocks.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I got all ORD bushings with the greasable bolts for my springs and ORD sway bar bushings. So everything is new and tight except my shocks.

Does that include a rear bar?

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I was leaning that way. It seems all the more expensive twin chamber stuff is aimed more at off-road and lifted stuff. The kybs seem really cheap for twin chamber and get good reviews from daily driver types.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Misty Blue