A/C

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

85K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ok guys so I’m about to tackle the install of new a/c components and need some help. A/C is totally out of my league. I have purchased a new accumulator, orifice tube, a/c lines, condenser, and compressor. Now the question is this. The a/c shop said it would cool off better if I went with freeze 12. I have read good and bad about freeze 12. I was told that the 134 wouldn’t cool very well in our systems. What are your opinions and experiences with the different types? I figured since I had all new components I should just go ahead and convert it all over to 134. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
From what Ive heard, R134 works fine but for optimum performance you need an electric fan to keep the condencer cool for stop and go in town driving for it to work as good as the old R12.

johnmc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
k 10
Engine Size
305 tuneport injected
I dont think you can buy R 12 anymore You are stuck with 134 now but it works fine .

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
You can still get R12 but it's REALLY expensive. R134 is not nearly efficient as R12 so it doesn't cool as well, my system has been converted to 134 and I noticed the difference right away.

My buddy is a commercial refrigeration guy and charged his '90 Suburban's AC with R409. It's not approved for automotive use so we can't get it, but that thing would practically hurl ice cubes out the vents. I'm not kidding, you could see the vapor blowing out the vents it was so cold, it looked like one of those fog machines.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I agree with all of the above. Including, I"ve also heard an E fan helps. R12 can be bought but is high dollar. I'd go with the R134 NOW, especially since you are putting in all these new parts. I've also heard the 134A works better and must run at a higher pressure and if your compressor is old and tired it might not like that new higher pressure. Maybe it's time for someone to do some research on a better compressor that will work good with 134A that can be retrofitted to our squares.
If you are certain you won't have leaks, and you don't intend on pulling anything off the motor that would require disconnect of the AC lines, you could do the R12 too. :shrug:

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Ok guys so I’m about to tackle the install of new a/c components and need some help. A/C is totally out of my league. I have purchased a new accumulator, orifice tube, a/c lines, condenser, and compressor. Now the question is this. The a/c shop said it would cool off better if I went with freeze 12. I have read good and bad about freeze 12. I was told that the 134 wouldn’t cool very well in our systems. What are your opinions and experiences with the different types? I figured since I had all new components I should just go ahead and convert it all over to 134. Thanks for the help.

You were told correctly (to an extent), it really depends on the type of compressor your truck is using if the 134 will cool satisfactory or not. The Old compressors that were long (generator style) will NOT cool as well with 134 as they will with R12 or Freeze 12. If its the "pancake" type compressor chances are the 134a will do just fine.

The Electric fans that were mentioned are INFACT an Excellent Idea to help with the heat Exchange. But I dont Reccomand to just wire it up with a toggle and Relay. I would Reccomend to wire it with a Relay, but instead of using a toggle for the relay trigger use a pressure switch.

Also i noticed you are replacing the entire system MINUS the Evaporator. I strongly reccomend replacing it aswell, you can actually get aftermarket evaporators and condensors that are designed more towards the R134a. Plus nothing sucks more to replace everthing but that and it fail shortly after.

IMHO it is fine for you to replace the system yourself just remember to lube ALL the O-rings and seals. If you plan on doing the actual charging of the system I would reccomend to do alot of research and learn as much as you can about the A/C system and how it works. A/C can be extremely dangerouse if not prpoerly serviced, If you have an exsperienced buddy to walk you through it that would be very helpful to you. What ever you do just becareful, I have seen alot of people "think" they knew what they were doing then something happens and either damages there system and gets hurt.

Let me know if you have any questions Good luck

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
Not sure but if i remember right you have to be a lisenced a/c to buy R12 and with the price you can buy 4 of the little cans of 134 for the price of one small can or R12. I know when i was selling parts for Oreeillys a year back a 30# R12 was on sale for 165.00

85K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You were told correctly (to an extent), it really depends on the type of compressor your truck is using if the 134 will cool satisfactory or not. The Old compressors that were long (generator style) will NOT cool as well with 134 as they will with R12 or Freeze 12. If its the "pancake" type compressor chances are the 134a will do just fine.

The Electric fans that were mentioned are INFACT an Excellent Idea to help with the heat Exchange. But I dont Reccomand to just wire it up with a toggle and Relay. I would Reccomend to wire it with a Relay, but instead of using a toggle for the relay trigger use a pressure switch.

Also i noticed you are replacing the entire system MINUS the Evaporator. I strongly reccomend replacing it aswell, you can actually get aftermarket evaporators and condensors that are designed more towards the R134a. Plus nothing sucks more to replace everthing but that and it fail shortly after.

IMHO it is fine for you to replace the system yourself just remember to lube ALL the O-rings and seals. If you plan on doing the actual charging of the system I would reccomend to do alot of research and learn as much as you can about the A/C system and how it works. A/C can be extremely dangerouse if not prpoerly serviced, If you have an exsperienced buddy to walk you through it that would be very helpful to you. What ever you do just becareful, I have seen alot of people "think" they knew what they were doing then something happens and either damages there system and gets hurt.

Let me know if you have any questions Good luck

I am not charging the system myself. I just putting it all together and having a shop charge it for me. Thanks for the help everyone.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Not sure but if i remember right you have to be a lisenced a/c to buy R12 and with the price you can buy 4 of the little cans of 134 for the price of one small can or R12. I know when i was selling parts for Oreeillys a year back a 30# R12 was on sale for 165.00

Yes you have to be certified to obtain R12, BUT Freeze 12 is a substitute and anyone can purchase it. But it is just as dangerouse as Propane go figure!!!!!

I beleive you ment 134a was on sale for 165, Ive seen R12 sell for 1200-1500 for a 30 pound bottle

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
Ah yes you are correct lol its been a long day for me. I was told you couldnt get freeze 12 without a cert too

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SquareInheretance