A/C

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mybabyk5

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
So Im thinking about taking out my A/C and need some info as if it will mess up my system, heater, and if it will actually take some strain off of my 350. And also if I need to still hook up a smaller belt after taking the a/c out. Any help? I live in colorado so i still want my heater but could do without the a/c (thats what vent windows are for anyway right? haha)

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
amazing, your removing yours and I am installing it in mine. removing it isnt gonna free up any extra power. You can simply remove the A/c Belt to the compressor and acheive all the gain you will and alot less work. Not to mention the non a/c trucks only have duct work for the floor and the defrost, which means you cant use the dash vents.

My advice is kepp it.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
amazing, your removing yours and I am installing it in mine. removing it isnt gonna free up any extra power. You can simply remove the A/c Belt to the compressor and acheive all the gain you will and alot less work. Not to mention the non a/c trucks only have duct work for the floor and the defrost, which means you cant use the dash vents.

My advice is kepp it.

X2 if you want to free horsepower and yet keep a/c you may gain more by ditching your belt-driven fan for an electric one.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Let me get this straight. Your AC works, yet you want to remove it? Just turn the AC off if you want full power.

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
i say do not take it off

i use to rip and tear it off everything i owned to save the weight and power now i am going threw hell collecting the parts to put it back

i say do other things to save power or to gain power but don't destroy or remove your ac someday you will regret it if you do

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I also say leave it. As said, just pull the belt off, but even then, the belt on isn't pulling all that much hp. Having AC on will pull some noticeable power but not just to have it installed in the truck. If it really works, I'd even run it at least a few times a year to keep the compressor from seizing up.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I say rip it off.........AND send all the parts to me to get them outta your way! :waytogo:

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
FYI, I will be installing a Vintage Air in my truck hopefully soon, and anyone that wants a complete 82 a/c system can have all my old stuff. It was working 1year ago but the compressor isn't engaging anymore. I haven't investigated why because I'm going to take it all out anyway. If nobody wants it I'm throwing it all in the garbage.

1981lowrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra
Engine Size
V-8
John, I'll take you up on that offer if you still have it. Let me know, i have an A/C but need some parts.

mybabyk5

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Its not working, I never use it, I dunno how and if I can recharge it or what. It throws air but not cold air. Im probably just going to take it all off, not for any power or whatnot but just to clean up the engine bay plus Im wanting to switch from the dumb v belt system to one serp. Seems like one less thing to worry about when that project comes.

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
So Im thinking about taking out my A/C and need some info as if it will mess up my system, heater, and if it will actually take some strain off of my 350. And also if I need to still hook up a smaller belt after taking the a/c out. Any help? I live in colorado so i still want my heater but could do without the a/c (thats what vent windows are for anyway right? haha)[/QUOTE

:badidea:

mybabyk5

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Even though everyone has told me its a bad idea, i went through with it anyway. I have noticed a slight gain going up a 10 percent grade hill. you might be thinking im joking but i am very happy i took it out. when it was in, it would always squeal when in higher rpms and it didnt work anyway and on the plus side it cleaned up my engine bay. Might think its a bad choice but I dont.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Even though everyone has told me its a bad idea, i went through with it anyway. I have noticed a slight gain going up a 10 percent grade hill. you might be thinking im joking but i am very happy i took it out. when it was in, it would always squeal when in higher rpms and it didnt work anyway and on the plus side it cleaned up my engine bay. Might think its a bad choice but I dont.

That's fine that it cleaned up your engine bay, but guaranteed, you gained zero power unless the clutch was locked up on the compressor. Sometimes it's just in your head... kinda like those people with average non-performance cars that swear they have more power when they run premium gas.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I agree with bucket on this. Giving up 50lbs of weight, likely will not net a noticable gain. You may have had a dragging AC clutch.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garrettkeith