92 Chevy 305 TBI issuess

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
So here's my dilemma, have the above mention 92 305, it's not wanting to start tight away, sometimes fires, then drops out and dies, when I do get it running it stumbled back for a while but kind of lines out, recent changes are as follows,
IAC, and reset it, tps, changed electronic spark control module, worked good but on next startup still did same thing, changed map sensor, also tested ignition control module, it tested fine after getting it hot. Only thing I've not done is the temp sending unplugging to see if that changes but I replaced it not long ago and engine doesn't get hot, changed spark plugs and wires are fine.
Now other than fuel issues like pump or filte, what can I also try? Besides kill it with fire?

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
I'd check fuel pressure for one.

No SES light?

Are you able to do any datalogging?

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
No data logging, and no trouble codes, I'd like to get a fuel pressure test but my filter is rusted on,...lol changed a while back after doing a pressure test, so now I have to figure out how to get the filter off without destroying the lines.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
No data logging, and no trouble codes, I'd like to get a fuel pressure test but my filter is rusted on,...lol changed a while back after doing a pressure test, so now I have to figure out how to get the filter off without destroying the lines.

They sell a piece at Summit that is supposed to serve as a Schrader valve right behind the TBI. I think that's how it works.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 127

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Fan you hear the fuel pump prime?
I have heard those fittings are hard to get installed in the line running into the TBI. if one of the lines comes loose from the filter you could spin the filter off the other line....

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yeah I can hear the pump and it's getting fuel, but seems just not on startup, which leads me to fuel pump pumpor filter, but while it runs and idles just fine, just not taking off and when shifting it acts as if it's cutting out I'm sidelining the truck and driving my 79 for now but I don't like relying strictly on the 79, it's a good running truck but so was my 92.
I'll check into that fitting, might be the best easiest option rather than cutting fuel line and putting in compression fittings. Fingers crossed it isn't the pump, money is so tight at the momebt

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size

Could be rust in the filter cutting down flow.

They sell a piece at Summit that is supposed to serve as a Schrader valve right behind the TBI. I think that's how it works.

I've a couple of those, work great.

Fan you hear the fuel pump prime?
I have heard those fittings are hard to get installed in the line running into the TBI. if one of the lines comes loose from the filter you could spin the filter off the other line....

On the 4.3, it's not possible to install behind the TBI, but the 5.7 fits fine.

Yeah I can hear the pump and it's getting fuel, but seems just not on startup, which leads me to fuel pump pumpor filter, but while it runs and idles just fine, just not taking off and when shifting it acts as if it's cutting out I'm sidelining the truck and driving my 79 for now but I don't like relying strictly on the 79, it's a good running truck but so was my 92.
I'll check into that fitting, might be the best easiest option rather than cutting fuel line and putting in compression fittings. Fingers crossed it isn't the pump, money is so tight at the momebt

If it's the pump, I have a couple of good spares and have no problem tossing one in the mail to you.

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Does it make any difference if it's a 305 or 350 pump? Trucks a 305.. well guess I could check at work and see if it's the same part number. Only reason I'm strapped is j helped a friend with her suv, cost me 700 dollars to keep her and her kids with a vehicle. She's had a bad run of luck. Bad thing is I knew something would happen and I'd need that money, but I'm trying to date this girl and unfortunately am too nice sometimes for my own good.

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Well still not running correctly, I changed cap and rotor and plugs, so it does run better but still not wanting to start up quickly, when it does it starts up then falls on its face and dies.
I changed out the throttle position sensor and can't get the code 22 to go away which makes me think ECM, so I ordered a remanned on today, but have checked and changed everything but the fuel filter, because I can't get it off, and the last thing is the pump. Which is know was bad if I could get the dang filter off. Tried to find the fitting mentioned earlier but looks like I'm gonna have to order it. Tired if guessing and pissing away cash on parts I've already replaced....lol

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
TBIs all use the same pump. I'd soak the fittings with a liberal amount of PB Blaster.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Worth looking in to the coil

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Before you go to pull your ECM, I'd probe the TPS harness to see if it's operating in the correct voltage range since that's the code you're getting. It could possibly be a wiring issue.

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I don't have the ohm meter to do that, but I put a new tps on it and can't get it to stop throwing the code 22, went ahead and got s new ECM, didn't change anything and also a new electronic spark control module, I done with wasting time and money at guessing, I still think it's gonna be the fuel pump but that was last on my list for changing. I'm gonna have to let a mechanic look at it now, I'm completely sick of chasing stuff down and wasting cash and time in it. It's beaten me down hard! Lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timk