88-98 Chevys, 99-02 Chevys, and 94-01 Dodges.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
I bought my Suburban for $1600 with a bad head gasket. So far I have $742.27 in it including $377 to ship the thing to my door and $144 for a radio and speakers. Its now running and driving. I bought this thing from a seller about 200 miles away and I dont own a trailer so the logistics/time/cost to rent one and drive down to pick it up were more of a headache than contracting a hauling job. What I'm trying to say here is keep an eye out and be ready to pounce on something especially if its in your realm of ability mechanically.

Now I'm not advocating buying a car sight unseen a couple of states over because old Mom there will get real tough on that. I wanted something rust free with this square so I expanded my search and luckily encountered a truthful and honest seller with a relatively rust free square to do business with.

How quickly can you swap an engine in? Now dont go wanting to hop it up and get all crazy. Get a good running junkyard motor, change the oil pan, rear main, and valve cover seals, new water pump, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter, fresh oil and filter and drop her in. I've seen running TBI engines as cheap as $275 plus everything I mentioned for another $60-80 and you have yourself a nice looking, good running truck with some sweat equity built in.

spanky55amg

I'll give u $5, a hardy handshake, & 5 fish sticks
Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
Sadly, I dont have time for 5 pages of reading before commenting. I just wanted to make sure that on early 2000's 5.3, there is a certain head that always cracks on them. I hope someone mentioned that. If so, thanks, you beat me to it. If not, research it. I forgot the head number and dates. And then watch your front hubs, they WILL wear out. And be prepared for a leaking water pump. Other than that, I dont know of many problems with them.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Come on over, I have a 91 K1500, extended cab, manual trans, needs an engine.
I have put about 650 bucks into this unit, brakes, ball joints, changed fluids and new cam, lifters, push rods, rocker arms, oil pump, timing chain/sprocket set and changed all the fluids.
Turned out the lifter ticking noise was a spun rod bearing.
I would like to get 800 bucks for it but if I could get My money back I`d let it go.
Absolutely no rust, body and interior are in pretty good condition, no rips/tears and one smallish dent on the side of the box.
Tires are at about 70%.
This'd be a good one!

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Sadly, I dont have time for 5 pages of reading before commenting. I just wanted to make sure that on early 2000's 5.3, there is a certain head that always cracks on them. I hope someone mentioned that. If so, thanks, you beat me to it. If not, research it. I forgot the head number and dates. And then watch your front hubs, they WILL wear out. And be prepared for a leaking water pump. Other than that, I dont know of many problems with them.
Yes it has a battery looking casting mark they were cast very poorly and leak internally threw the castings

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
Sorry I never got alerted to these.

Come on over, I have a 91 K1500, extended cab, manual trans, needs an engine.
I have put about 650 bucks into this unit, brakes, ball joints, changed fluids and new cam, lifters, push rods, rocker arms, oil pump, timing chain/sprocket set and changed all the fluids.
Turned out the lifter ticking noise was a spun rod bearing.
I would like to get 800 bucks for it but if I could get My money back I`d let it go.
Absolutely no rust, body and interior are in pretty good condition, no rips/tears and one smallish dent on the side of the box.
Tires are at about 70%.
16hrs is a little bit more than I can do. But thanks for the offer
There you! go, you can pick up another engine for 500 or less and be in business.
It is a sweet truck!

I bought my Suburban for $1600 with a bad head gasket. So far I have $742.27 in it including $377 to ship the thing to my door and $144 for a radio and speakers. Its now running and driving. I bought this thing from a seller about 200 miles away and I dont own a trailer so the logistics/time/cost to rent one and drive down to pick it up were more of a headache than contracting a hauling job. What I'm trying to say here is keep an eye out and be ready to pounce on something especially if its in your realm of ability mechanically.

Now I'm not advocating buying a car sight unseen a couple of states over because old Mom there will get real tough on that. I wanted something rust free with this square so I expanded my search and luckily encountered a truthful and honest seller with a relatively rust free square to do business with.

How quickly can you swap an engine in? Now dont go wanting to hop it up and get all crazy. Get a good running junkyard motor, change the oil pan, rear main, and valve cover seals, new water pump, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter, fresh oil and filter and drop her in. I've seen running TBI engines as cheap as $275 plus everything I mentioned for another $60-80 and you have yourself a nice looking, good running truck with some sweat equity built in.
I found a 70s 350 SBC with finned valve covers for $200! O-jet too.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Sorry I never got alerted to these.

16hrs is a little bit more than I can do. But thanks for the offer
It is a sweet truck!

I found a 70s 350 SBC with finned valve covers for $200! O-jet too.

So have you purchased anything?

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
If a transfer case is going out does it make noise?

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
If a transfer case is going out does it make noise?

Sometimes, newer trucks, like my 02, got a pinhole in it, all the fluid came out, transfer case was ruined, and never made a peep. Only clue was utter lack of 4x4 lol.

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
Sometimes, newer trucks, like my 02, got a pinhole in it, all the fluid came out, transfer case was ruined, and never made a peep. Only clue was utter lack of 4x4 lol.
Ill make sure to check it over.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
I definitely will! I have no problems crawling aroud in the dirt looking at stuff!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody