88-98 Chevys, 99-02 Chevys, and 94-01 Dodges.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Well trucks are cool lol, but not having to work on your truck all night to go to work int he morning is cooler.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Well trucks are cool lol, but not having to work on your truck all night to go to work int he morning is cooler.

You can say that again.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
$2500 can buy a decent truck, just not much for a $1000 or less

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Tell them to go buy what they want you to drive. You dont have enough a budget that is going to fit their criteria. The trucks in your budget are going to have problems and need work, they are going to have lots of rust, and they are going to be reliable. If they can't deal with any of these things they either need to
1. buy you a nice new shiny truck you can pay them back.
2. loan you their car so you can go where you need to while saving to buy a vehicle that fits their criteria.
3. drive you where you need to go while saving to buy a vehicle that fits their criteria.
4. Shut up about the truck you bought with your money and no help from them.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Tell them to go buy what they want you to drive. You dont have enough a budget that is going to fit their criteria. The trucks in your budget are going to have problems and need work, they are going to have lots of rust, and they are going to be reliable. If they can't deal with any of these things they either need to
2. loan you their car so you can go where you need to while saving to buy a vehicle that fits their criteria.
3. drive you where you need to go while saving to buy a vehicle that fits their criteria.
4. Shut up about the truck you bought with your money and no help from them.

:badger_1:

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
I'll give you the same advice I was given at your age. Get something cheap and reliable, that's good on gas. Something you have no attachment to, and therefore no desire to modify. Save your money by not messing with that car, and get a much nicer truck down the road. I didn't listen. I spent 20 some odd years chasing my tail trying to get into a position where I could get/build the truck I wanted.
I offered similar advice in his other thread, you can see where it's gone.
Never said I was gonna chase a dream truck, I also need a truck, live on a farm and a car will not work for what I need. I will also raise some more money.

4. Shut
I think I'll just raise more money, buy something for 2500.

I did say the budget for RIGHT NOW is $1000.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I think I'll just raise more money, buy something for 2500.

If waiting is an option, wait. Buy the nicest truck you can afford, not one you think you can fix easily. You'll always be money ahead and aggravation down to just buy one that works until you get some more life experience under your belt.

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
Bottom line, trucks or cars are mostly money pits. In the last 33 years of the 128 odds and ends of cars and trucks I've had/still have, I think the only one that I bought for $1k, put $400 of parts into it and haven't touched it since is my 96 Geo metro. Drive the dang thing everywhere, don't care what it looks like, don't bother fixing anything that isn't necessary, get 45 mpg average year in and year out even in snow. Every other car I've had constantly breaks something when you least expect it.
You pretty much either pay a monthly payment on a new car or pay a monthly payment on repair parts for an old jalopy.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Bottom line, trucks or cars are mostly money pits. In the last 33 years of the 128 odds and ends of cars and trucks I've had/still have, I think the only one that I bought for $1k, put $400 of parts into it and haven't touched it since is my 96 Geo metro. Drive the dang thing everywhere, don't care what it looks like, don't bother fixing anything that isn't necessary, get 45 mpg average year in and year out even in snow. Every other car I've had constantly breaks something when you least expect it.
You pretty much either pay a monthly payment on a new car or pay a monthly payment on repair parts for an old jalopy.
This is for you, sir.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I have something to share that seems pertinent to the discussion, @Iowan. First, mom's are usually great. Me and my mom aren't the best of buds, but we're okay. The thing is a lot of moms don't know what they're getting into when they endorse/don't endorse a vehicle or so has been the experience with my mom and dozens of moms I've known over the years. When I bought my Jimmy, my mom didn't talk to me for months while my dad really liked it. She thought I wasted my money, and that I shouldn't have gone to Nashville (7 hrs) to get it. I wanted to get into an unmolested Jimmy before they appreciated to where they weren't feasible so I did, and now people ask through the roof prices for most of them, and a lot of them are modified in some way or ways. I got mine, and I'm happy. I think it was a good investment, and it'll only get better from here. Fast forward about three years. My mom, the same mom, just let my little brother buy an '02 Dodge 3/4 ton extended cab with a Cummins 24 Valve, and I'm assuming a 5 speed Getrag. I was pretty opposed to that, as I know my dad would have been. He said those trucks were garbage, and the only good thing about them was the Cummins. He would have said that a big ole lifted thing like that was too much truck for someone who just started driving with almost zero driving experience. I had a lot of experience behind the wheel when I first started driving, my old man started teaching me out of the cradle, and I was driving his F350 dually for him when I was 5, and he still encouraged me to get things like a C10 square body, El Caminos, and this one '63 Nova sedan. Start out smaller with something cheap, accessible, and user friendly but still cool, minus that Nova. I know you're not just starting out, but the moral of the story is that moms don't know it all. My mom went too far with how she acted towards me when I bought the Jimmy, and now she went too far again, I think (maybe trying to compensate for our falling out back then), going along with something so damn intricate, potentially faulted, and huge for someone who's turning eighteen tomorrow and has some mechanical intuition but is just starting out driving.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have something to share that seems pertinent to the discussion, @Iowan My mom, the same mom, just let my little brother buy an '02 Dodge 3/4 ton extended cab with a Cummins 24 Valve, and I'm assuming a 5 speed Getrag. I was pretty opposed to that, as I know my dad would have been. He said those trucks were garbage, and the only good thing about them was the Cummins.
And I wonder why a 500,000 mile enjun was put in a 50,000 mile truck ? :happy160::happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175:

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
I have something to share that seems pertinent to the discussion, @Iowan. First, mom's are usually great. Me and my mom aren't the best of buds, but we're okay. The thing is a lot of moms don't know what they're getting into when they endorse/don't endorse a vehicle or so has been the experience with my mom and dozens of moms I've known over the years. When I bought my Jimmy, my mom didn't talk to me for months while my dad really liked it. She thought I wasted my money, and that I shouldn't have gone to Nashville (7 hrs) to get it. I wanted to get into an unmolested Jimmy before they appreciated to where they weren't feasible so I did, and now people ask through the roof prices for most of them, and a lot of them are modified in some way or ways. I got mine, and I'm happy. I think it was a good investment, and it'll only get better from here. Fast forward about three years. My mom, the same mom, just let my little brother buy an '02 Dodge 3/4 ton extended cab with a Cummins 24 Valve, and I'm assuming a 5 speed Getrag. I was pretty opposed to that, as I know my dad would have been. He said those trucks were garbage, and the only good thing about them was the Cummins. He would have said that a big ole lifted thing like that was too much truck for someone who just started driving with almost zero driving experience. I had a lot of experience behind the wheel when I first started driving, my old man started teaching me out of the cradle, and I was driving his F350 dually for him when I was 5, and he still encouraged me to get things like a C10 square body, El Caminos, and this one '63 Nova sedan. Start out smaller with something cheap, accessible, and user friendly but still cool, minus that Nova. I know you're not just starting out, but the moral of the story is that moms don't know it all. My mom went too far with how she acted towards me when I bought the Jimmy, and now she went too far again, I think (maybe trying to compensate for our falling out back then), going along with something so damn intricate, potentially faulted, and huge for someone who's turning eighteen tomorrow and has some mechanical intuition but is just starting out driving.
Its not that she doesn't want me to like my truck she just doesn't want another project. I'm just gonna push the budget up a bit and find another Square or maybe and Action line. She just wants me safe and not have a HUGE money pit. For the replies!

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Its not that she doesn't want me to like my truck she just doesn't want another project. I'm just gonna push the budget up a bit and find another Square or maybe and Action line. She just wants me safe and not have a HUGE money pit. For the replies!
Come on over, I have a 91 K1500, extended cab, manual trans, needs an engine.
I have put about 650 bucks into this unit, brakes, ball joints, changed fluids and new cam, lifters, push rods, rocker arms, oil pump, timing chain/sprocket set and changed all the fluids.
Turned out the lifter ticking noise was a spun rod bearing.
I would like to get 800 bucks for it but if I could get My money back I`d let it go.
Absolutely no rust, body and interior are in pretty good condition, no rips/tears and one smallish dent on the side of the box.
Tires are at about 70%.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Come on over, I have a 91 K1500, extended cab, manual trans, needs an engine.
I have put about 650 bucks into this unit, brakes, ball joints, changed fluids and new cam, lifters, push rods, rocker arms, oil pump, timing chain/sprocket set and changed all the fluids.
Turned out the lifter ticking noise was a spun rod bearing.
I would like to get 800 bucks for it but if I could get My money back I`d let it go.
Absolutely no rust, body and interior are in pretty good condition, no rips/tears and one smallish dent on the side of the box.
Tires are at about 70%.

There you go, you can pick up another engine for 500 or less and be in business.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

The dent is just below the 4X4 decal.