'87 TBI 350 Troubles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Hey Jake, take a look at the ground wires at the thermostat housin, make sure they are in good shape, and clean the bolt and the surfaces. maybe run another ground wire from there to the ground terminal on the battery.

Jake292

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
350 efi, 700r4
Did you find a good deal on that ALDL cable?

I already had one for obd2 and I got a adaptor for like 5 bucks. the only problem was that its from hong kong so its taking a few weeks to get here.

Jake292

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
350 efi, 700r4
Hey Jake, take a look at the ground wires at the thermostat housin, make sure they are in good shape, and clean the bolt and the surfaces. maybe run another ground wire from there to the ground terminal on the battery.

done and still no change.

Jake292

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
350 efi, 700r4
That would be awsome...use Tunerpro RT, and you can send me the file. Keep in mind, there is the possibility we are chasing a mechanical problem. If you have not done so already, try to get an AC Delco 02 sensor and throw it in there.

Does anyone know if bosch or denso is a good sensor? i looked for a ac delco sensor but the only one i found costs 70 bucks. i can get a bosch for a forth the price.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Does anyone know if bosch or denso is a good sensor? i looked for a ac delco sensor but the only one i found costs 70 bucks. i can get a bosch for a forth the price.

AC delco AFS 20 $16 AC Delco AFS 21 $32....rockauto.com

philjafo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20 scottsdale
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205/d44/corp14
Just a longshot but the harmonic balancers occasionally slip on the rubber ring, you can use a plastic rod, like a pen to physically check the # 1 piston is really at tdc. Just don't stick anything harder then the piston into the sparkplug hole, or anything that might break off.

Paulscrawler78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
5.7L
sound almost like my truck there Jim did you have him read up on mine to see all the documents you guys have been helping me with by any chance

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Yeah, a few posts back I suggested the fuel pressure test...just waiting for him to get his hands on a tester.

Jake292

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
350 efi, 700r4
Just a longshot but the harmonic balancers occasionally slip on the rubber ring, you can use a plastic rod, like a pen to physically check the # 1 piston is really at tdc. Just don't stick anything harder then the piston into the sparkplug hole, or anything that might break off.

I've done the same thing only I felt the compression rather than sticking something in the cylinder.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I've done the same thing only I felt the compression rather than sticking something in the cylinder.

Without an accurate pointer/balancer, you could still be as much as 10*+ off.

philjafo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20 scottsdale
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205/d44/corp14
There is a stopper that can be screwed into to spark plug hole that you can use to be absolutely certain of tdc location. As its coming up to tdc you put the stopper in, slowly turn by hand till it stops, mark the balancer, then turn the opposite direction till it stops again, mark the balancer again. The spot in the center of those marks is exact perfect top dead center # 1 cylinder. Just feeling for compression only tells you that your on the compression stroke, it won't tell you if your timing marks are accurate.

Jake292

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
350 efi, 700r4
ok so i got the aldl cable today. what definition are yall using for tune pro. the only one for an 87 truck is the 5.0 will this work with a 5.7?

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I`m using tuner pro RT as was suggested by someone in this site while posting about someone else wanting to connect the laptop to the ALDL.
I would go back into the TunerPro website and do a bit more searching and yes,some of the definitions are listed for several engines/years/models,just be sure You get the right one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sparky77